Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I went into ABRP and put in a trip Phoenix to Williams AZ. When I did that trip to Grand Canyon, that is where I charged, and arrived at 33% battery remaining. Speed limits are mostly 75 mph and elevation change is 6000 feet, uphill. To get ABRP to come close to the actual, I had to put in 4.6 mile/kwh reference at 65mph. As an engineer I know that is not a good reference, so it means that the drag and elevation equations are way off in ABRP.
Agree that it is still pessimistic, but as a guideline it is certainly "good enough". I'll contrast your experience with my trip from flat southern NJ to the pocono mountains and back; It was off by about 15% after the roundtrip, but that is a reasonable cushion for me. Had it been raining or some unforeseen detour, then there would have been no cushion. I am perfectly happy arriving at a charger with 10% or 15% more in the battery than projected; I'll still plug in and charge to the target while also taking the planned break. If it gets a little more because it charged faster than it took for the bio break I am OK with that. I am by nature a pessimist, so things taking less time than expected is OK with me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Agree that it is still pessimistic, but as a guideline it is certainly "good enough". I'll contrast your experience with my trip from flat southern NJ to the pocono mountains and back; It was off by about 15% after the roundtrip, but that is a reasonable cushion for me. Had it been raining or some unforeseen detour, then there would have been no cushion. I am perfectly happy arriving at a charger with 10% or 15% more in the battery than projected; I'll still plug in and charge to the target while also taking the planned break. If it gets a little more because it charged faster than it took for the bio break I am OK with that. I am by nature a pessimist, so things taking less time than expected is OK with me.
Do you mean off by 15 points?

shberry

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'69 Camaro SS/RS, MME Premium ER-AWD (someday)
Occupation
Math Tutor
Country flag
Can someone point me to the thread that tells me how to get my free kWH? Tired of waiting so jumped on a Premium AWD Extended that came free just 3 hours away. Love it! I probably won't use charging networks a lot as we'll do road trips in my wife's car, but I can't turn down free stuff. How do I sign up?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Do you mean off by 15 points?
Sorry, to be clear: ABRP said I would get home with 10% left, I actually had 25%. If I get to a charger with 40% instead of the 25% ABRP said I would have I consider it a win. I'll still charge up to whatever the plan said, but I will spend 10 fewer minutes at the charger.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this is an old thread but…

Do you know if the free charging expires?

I have a long trip and 2 of the 4 states are cost per minute vs my home state is kWh cost. I’m thinking about just paying in the per minute states. Is this possible? Would I just pay through the EA app vs plug charge?

Sorry I’m new to all this and thought I had more time to learn!
2 years.

Yes. Sign up for EA Pass+ for $4 to pay less.
Sponsored