NCM vs LFP - Which one?

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Select. 2019 Ford Ranger. 1970 Cessna 180
Country flag
Last week I bought a used standard range 2022 AWD MachE... and absolutely LOVE it. Also I got a ~$20k+ discount by buying one with 7k miles on it :).

Anyway, I just noticed that the 2023 standard range models switched to a LFP battery from the NCM battery... I'm seeing a lot about LFP batteries lasting for many more cycles, is that something that we will realistically notice within 150k-200k miles of the vehicle's lifespan?

Are there any other real-world differences between these two batteries? would I have been better served spending more to get that LFP battery?

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
No. The only real “advantages” to LFP are longevity, which is highly unlikely to matter in any event, and cost, which savings aren’t really being passed along to the consumer anyway. NCM is the better battery overall.

It’s all gonna be irrelevant in a few years when we make the next big jump to solid state. So good on you for buying used at a hefty discount.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
If you live in a region where you get cold winters, LFP is impacted more by cold.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Your location shows Wisconsin. NCM all the way due to cold weather advantage.

c-had

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR LFP
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Specifically talking about the Mach E standard batteries, the LFP does have some advantages, or at least differences.

1. There is less concern about charging to 100% regularly. Ford recommends NCM batteries be set to a maximum charge of 90%, while LFP they recommend 100% ( https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...A&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web )
2. The standard range NCM batteries in the Mach E have a maximum DC charge rate of 115kW, while the LFP batteries have a maximum DC charge rate of 150kW.
3. You might notice a difference in available capacity at some point. It'll probably be a small difference, but LFP will generally degrade more slowly. Charts I've seen comparing at 100k miles show a median of maybe 15-20 miles of range loss in NCM, while the LFP might only be 5-10 miles of range loss.
Sponsored