New Mach-E Owner w/ Some Cold Weather DCFC "Testing"

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Hey all,

Took delivery of my Mach-E (ER RWD) on Friday, and I took it out this morning for a chilly blast down I-94 to "practice" DC Fast Charging, and see what it's like in the Mach-E, and if the cold is as bad as people say for charging.

Leg 1:

Detroit -> Kalamazoo (Electrify America)

Start: 100% SoC, 12F
End: 40% SoC, 29F
Distance: 129 miles
Time: 2h0m
Avg Speed: 64.5 MPH (cruise set to 70 for highway section)
Efficiency (trip computer): 2.1 miles/kWh

Arrived at the Electrify America station in Portage near Kalamazoo at 40% SoC. Weirdly, the SYNC screen popped up a "This station is not part of the Ford network. Follow the instructions on the station" message which got me a bit nervous as EA is like *the* part of the Ford network that makes it worthwhile as far as I'm concerned - I plugged into a "350 kW" charger (Signet) and was very happy to see Plug&Charge initialized immediately and charging began - I was very excited, until I saw the speed: 38 kW ?

After 2 hours of driving at 70 MPH, it could only deliver 38 kW? Surely that would have been enough time to warm the battery up, right? I unplugged, moved over to another station (a "150 kW") and again, Plug&Charge initialized immediately and the charging began - at 40 kW. Yikes. Guess this is going to be a long day.

Charge 1:

Charge: 40->60% SoC
Total Charge Time: 29 minutes
Energy Delivered: 18 kWh
Average Charge Speed: 41.9 kW

So based on that, I decided to bail on this session and stop on the way home. Happily, there is a new-ish(?) ChargePoint station just 35 miles towards home in Marshall, MI.

Leg 2:

Kalamazoo -> Marshall

Start: 60% SoC, 29F
End: 43% SoC, 30F
Distance: 35.2 miles
Time: 33 minutes
Avg Speed: 60.3 MPH
Efficiency: 2.5 miles/kWh

When I arrived at the ChargePoint station, I plugged it into the Mach-E, and then tried to use FordPass to initiate charging, but I couldn't figure out how. I was able to pull up the station on the FordPass app's map, it shows these particular ChargePoint chargers not "In-Network" even though other ChargePoint DCFCs do show "In-Network." Weird. Used my personal ChargePoint account, and it began with no issue.

Charge 2:

Charge: 43->70% SoC
Energy Delivered: 25 kWh
Average Charge Speed: 51.7 kW

Since the two chargers here are set up for 62.5 kW each, I would have loved to have been able to max them out, but apparently the battery was still a bit chilly... so I decided to try one more time, and stop at 1 more station on the way back, Electrify America in Ypsilanti.

Leg 3:

Start: 70% SoC 30F
End: 36% SoC 31F
Distance: 72.5 miles
Time: 68 minutes
Avg Speed: 64 MPH

Arrived at Electrify America, chose a stall at random. Plugged in the Mach-E, and immediately the charge ring turned red, and FordPass notified me of a charger fault. Pressing "Stop" on the station did not trigger the release of the connector, so I had to press the button inside the charge ring to get it to let go.

Moved over to the neighboring "150 kW" stall, plugged in, Plug&Charge initiated easy peasy and then - 81 kW!

Charge 3:

Charge: 36->80% SoC
Total Charge Time: 35 minutes
Energy Delivered: 42 kWh
Average Charge Speed: 72 kW

At 80%, the Mach-E's power draw dropped like a rock from 57 kW to 11 kW (!) so much so that the cooling fans on the charging station all turned off at the same time. Based on that, I decided to stop the session, and call it a day.

Not sure if this is interesting or helpful to anyone here, but I know I was very surprised at just how long it seems to take to heat this battery up by driving. It was parked inside a garage all night, but it had been fully charged for nearly 12 hours before the start of the "test" so perhaps the battery really did chill itself overnight.

Either way, I hope that warmer weather brings faster charging and better efficiency as well. Then we can really see the "Horsepower" when those horses aren't so chilly âť„ ;)

Loving the car otherwise! It's turning heads like crazy - can't count the number of thumbs up I got on 94 :cool:

TL;DR: Cold battery is cold, even after hours of driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
An upcoming OTA will almost assuredly have battery conditioning capabilities. Plus EA is not exactly ... right. ;)
I hope so! Or I hope that this arctic snap finally ends and then it might not be quite so bad. It's been weeks below freezing here, I believe. ?

HRT_Florida913

First Name
Reinhard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Metallic MME, PR ER AWD, Mar 30, 21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey all,

Took delivery of my Mach-E (ER RWD) on Friday, and I took it out this morning for a chilly blast down I-94 to "practice" DC Fast Charging, and see what it's like in the Mach-E, and if the cold is as bad as people say for charging.

Leg 1:

Detroit -> Kalamazoo (Electrify America)

Start: 100% SoC, 12F
End: 40% SoC, 29F
Distance: 129 miles
Time: 2h0m
Avg Speed: 64.5 MPH (cruise set to 70 for highway section)
Efficiency (trip computer): 2.1 miles/kWh

Arrived at the Electrify America station in Portage near Kalamazoo at 40% SoC. Weirdly, the SYNC screen popped up a "This station is not part of the Ford network. Follow the instructions on the station" message which got me a bit nervous as EA is like *the* part of the Ford network that makes it worthwhile as far as I'm concerned - I plugged into a "350 kW" charger (Signet) and was very happy to see Plug&Charge initialized immediately and charging began - I was very excited, until I saw the speed: 38 kW ?

After 2 hours of driving at 70 MPH, it could only deliver 38 kW? Surely that would have been enough time to warm the battery up, right? I unplugged, moved over to another station (a "150 kW") and again, Plug&Charge initialized immediately and the charging began - at 40 kW. Yikes. Guess this is going to be a long day.

Charge 1:

Charge: 40->60% SoC
Energy Delivered: 18 kWh
Average Charge Speed: 41.9 kW

So based on that, I decided to bail on this session and stop on the way home. Happily, there is a new-ish(?) ChargePoint station just 35 miles towards home in Marshall, MI.

Leg 2:

Kalamazoo -> Marshall

Start: 60% SoC, 29F
End: 43% SoC, 30F
Distance: 35.2 miles
Time: 33 minutes
Avg Speed: 60.3 MPH

When I arrived at the ChargePoint station, I plugged it into the Mach-E, and then tried to use FordPass to initiate charging, but I couldn't figure out how. I was able to pull up the station on the FordPass app's map, it shows these particular ChargePoint chargers not "In-Network" even though other ChargePoint DCFCs do show "In-Network." Weird. Used my personal ChargePoint account, and it began with no issue.

Charge 2:

Charge: 43->70% SoC
Energy Delivered: 25 kWh
Average Charge Speed: 51.7 kW

Since the two chargers here are set up for 62.5 kW each, I would have loved to have been able to max them out, but apparently the battery was still a bit chilly... so I decided to try one more time, and stop at 1 more station on the way back, Electrify America in Ypsilanti.

Leg 3:

Start: 70% SoC 30F
End: 36% SoC 31F
Distance: 72.5 miles
Time: 68 minutes
Avg Speed: 64 MPH

Arrived at Electrify America, chose a stall at random. Plugged in the Mach-E, and immediately the charge ring turned red, and FordPass notified me of a charger fault. Pressing "Stop" on the station did not trigger the release of the connector, so I had to press the button inside the charge ring to get it to let go.

Moved over to the neighboring "150 kW" stall, plugged in, Plug&Charge initiated easy peasy and then - 81 kW!

Charge 3:

Charge: 36->80% SoC
Total Charge Time: 35 minutes
Energy Delivered: 42 kWh
Average Charge Speed: 72 kW

At 80%, the Mach-E's power draw dropped like a rock from 57 kW to 11 kW (!) so much so that the cooling fans on the charging station all turned off at the same time. Based on that, I decided to stop the session, and call it a day.

Not sure if this is interesting or helpful to anyone here, but I know I was very surprised at just how long it seems to take to heat this battery up by driving. It was parked inside a garage all night, but it had been fully charged for nearly 12 hours before the start of the "test" so perhaps the battery really did chill itself overnight.

Either way, I hope that warmer weather brings faster charging and better efficiency as well. Then we can really see the "Horsepower" when those horses aren't so chilly âť„ ;)

Loving the car otherwise! It's turning heads like crazy - can't count the number of thumbs up I got on 94 :cool:

View attachment 17721

TL;DR: Cold battery is cold, even after hours of driving.
Great report, thank you! I am surprised how huge the impact of the temperature is. I watched today the video from 'Car Maniac', (in German with subtitles, but I am originally from Germany lol) with a 575 miles drive on the Autobahn including 4 charge stops. Now, obviously the charger net in Germany is much better than it is over here. At one station he charged at 158KW , ABOVE the 150kW that Ford promises. The temperature around 60F, I think. That gives me hope! It is not the car.......

920km test on German autobahn 140/150 km/h, 120km/h average with only 27kWh!! | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I hope so! Or I hope that this arctic snap finally ends and then it might not be quite so bad. It's been weeks below freezing here, I believe. ?
¿Porqué no los dos? Lol ?

por-que-no-los-dos-gif-7.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Nav

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I think it’s the shitty charging stations where electrify America may not be par.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
As a Tesla Model 3 owner, I've been lurking on these forums to see how the launch of a new EV I consider mainstream in going. The Mach E has a lot going for it and competes well with the 3 and Y, but I really hope they get this charging curve worked out. The cold certainly doesn't help, but there's something else going on for sure. Maybe conservatism on the part of Ford at rollout, a charger/car communication issue, who knows.

Tesla owners are commonly getting 100+ kW and often much faster up to 50+% state of charge. I'm just not sure I could deal with an 1+ hour stop on a road trip. Here's hoping and OTA update and warmer weather help with the situation.

OP
OP

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
As a Tesla Model 3 owner, I've been lurking on these forums to see how the launch of a new EV I consider mainstream in going. The Mach E has a lot going for it and competes well with the 3 and Y, but I really hope they get this charging curve worked out. The cold certainly doesn't help, but there's something else going on for sure. Maybe conservatism on the part of Ford at rollout, a charger/car communication issue, who knows.

Tesla owners are commonly getting 100+ kW and often much faster up to 50+% state of charge. I'm just not sure I could deal with an 1+ hour stop on a road trip. Here's hoping and OTA update and warmer weather help with the situation.
European YouTubers have shown the car can achieve 150 kW (one saw 161 kW somehow). There really doesn't seem to be any preconditioning (I had the nav set to the charger specifically to give it the best shot of success) so this far below freezing is going to be slow, I just didn't expect *this* slow.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
Was planning to do some day trips this spring to watch college baseball and depending on reliable charging speeds with EA. Hoping warmer weather will improve the experience when connecting in April.

Sounds like we need a Road Trip folder ?????

OP
OP

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Was planning to do some day trips this spring to watch college baseball and depending on reliable charging speeds with EA. Hoping warmer weather will improve the experience when connecting in April.

Sounds like we need a Road Trip folder ?????
I'd be happy to write more of these if there's a Road Trip forum at some point.

But yeah, I don't really think that EA is at fault here, at least not entirely. The battery needs to be able to warm up when it knows you're heading to a charging station. It's pretty sad it doesn't do that - I even had the Nav set to the station itself to give the car every opportunity to warm itself up on route.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I'd be happy to write more of these if there's a Road Trip forum at some point.

But yeah, I don't really think that EA is at fault here, at least not entirely. The battery needs to be able to warm up when it knows you're heading to a charging station. It's pretty sad it doesn't do that - I even had the Nav set to the station itself to give the car every opportunity to warm itself up on route.
If you'd stop blowing 29F, 70mph air at the battery, you can charge faster ;) . Once it gets to 20F in Alabama, @Dirtman16 can give you a similar report on Tesla charge rates.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
If you'd stop blowing 29F, 70mph air at the battery, you can charge faster ;) . Once it gets to 20F in Alabama, @Dirtman16 can give you a similar report on Tesla charge rates.
Somewhere it was said that the first OTA was going to include some preconditioning. Crossing fingers that's true.
Sponsored