Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well, when you promise 300 and only get 270 miles of range....
Yes, that would be a problem. Fortunately Ford hit all of their targets and still may have a better release for the CA Route 1.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Well, when you promise 300 and only get 270 miles of range....
It's alright... Let's not bash :) welcome to the forum. I think you probably were just misinformed on that range / target info.
270mi target, 270mi final (AWD)
300mi target, 300mi final (RWD)

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So much incorrect information in that article. The author is suspect and most likely a shill.

• " the range is well under that found in competing vehicles " What? The Mach E has better range than every other competitor in it's class except the MY. It beats the ID4, Ipace, leaf, Bolt, Polsetar, volvo, etron, etc.
  • "Tesla Model 3, available in 400 mile-range" This dude has no idea what he is talking about. To lazy to do a 5 min search? The Model S is much more expensive and a sedan if that's what he is referring to
  • " Some have longer range, and others are less expensive than Ford's first EV. " Again Mach E has more range and is cheaper than Ipace, etron, polestar, EQC, Volvo, etc.
I seriously wonder how this guy has a job as a journalist. Big fail.
If he has a job in "journalism", his objective is clicks/views, not news or accuracy. If Inquiring minds want to know more, watch "The Social Dilemma", a movie that is IMHO the most terrifying horror movie of the last couple of decades, based on true interviews apparently. Thanks for the analysis Running Horse!!

Honhme

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV; 2018 Ioniq EV
Occupation
State employee
Country flag
I agree with ChasingCoral. It is more about the worry/anxiety about the range of the car. I currently have one PHEV (Honda Clarity - ~ 40 mile range) and one EV (Hyundai Ioniq - ~ around 120 range) and easily get about town within their range. Waiting for a Mach E select (RW drive ~ 230 range).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Yes, that would be a problem. Fortunately Ford hit all of their targets and still may have a better release for the CA Route 1.
It may become a marketing problem once there are more companies that have a car approaching 300mi range. The real life range depends on many factors, and Ford engineers only control a couple of them. Personally, I would be ok if Ford undershot it by 10% or so. It's been years since I had to make a round trip of more than 60mi, and even those are are fairly rare. It also depends on where you go. My commute (when we had those) is about 10mi, but I also have access to 10 separate EVSEs within walking distance from my office. Others may have longer trips to deal with or live in places like Minnesota (basically a frozen tundra festooned with moose scat). Based on the number of commenters here saying that they aren't planning to plug in every night, it doesn't seem to be a huge issue for many. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Ford met their target, but I wouldn't be worked up if they missed it by a little.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It's not the range that is the problem. It's the charge anxiety. So many people who do not own a Ev are worried about the delays caused by charging stops.

Well. rightful so. The tech is not there for quick refueling like a ice vehicle. Right now an EV is a double edge sword in the tech. You can charge at home and that beats going to gas stations, but on longer trips, you have longer stops to fill up than ice vehicles.

If your someone that drives less than 150 miles a day your fine. Long trips or constant road trips then you have to adapt to the charging times.
In CA. many of the charging stations are built in the parking lots of destinations. Malls, restaurant clusters, etc. Then stopping for an hour to charge up is not such a burden and actually makes for a nice break. I think that over time charging stations and recreational/social business allocation will be symbiotic and it will just be a way of life.

That is until 5 minute full charging capability. :p

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
One thing I do wish Ford marketing would do is to stop referring to the Ford Mustang Mach E projected 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds as “super car territory”. With that time, a Mustang Mach E GT driver will be looking at a lot of tail light clusters. Now, get the time to 3 seconds or under and let’s have a conversation ?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It's not the range that is the problem. It's the charge anxiety. So many people who do not own a Ev are worried about the delays caused by charging stops.

Well. rightful so. The tech is not there for quick refueling like a ice vehicle.
Which keeps making me wonder how Ford is tackling the recharging side of the EV equation.

We all see that EV tech is moving to 800v technology but 400v is perfectly capable of putting 200+ miles of range into a MME-sized car in 22 minutes right now.

Is Ford able to do it too, is it just not an interesting/compelling problem to solve, or is Ford going to wait for 800v technology to mature and subsequently drop in price?
Sponsored