David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I've been to the dealership twice for this and all they can do is show me how well Phone as a key works with a Galaxy phone. Walk away locking never works. The lock button on the door column doesn't work over half the time - I have to use the 2 button combo on the number pad on the door column to lock it. If I don't have the key fob on me or in the car, it doesn't see there's a key and I have to use the backup start code. I finally gave up and started carry the clunky key fob around.

Now I find the key fob will activate the alarm from inside my pocket if I'm in the garage working around the car. Worst yet - in one case it opened the trunk, scratching the rear hatch on the garage door. Oddly enough, everything except the walk away feature worked when I got the car - I kept the fob in the glove box. Then, after one of the synch updates, the function began to deteriorate.

I've been told by IT people Google updates security patches much more frequently than Samsung and Ford probably isn't keeping pace to the changes Google makes to Android on the phone. Took bad - it's such a cool feature when it works!
Sponsored

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have the 6a, and mine works, so I don't think it's a Google update issue. Does it work great? No. I frequently have to turn Bluetooth off then on in order for it to connect where I can turn my car on. Oddly enough, even when PAAK isn't recognized, my phone will connect to the Bluetooth and start playing music while I sit inside the car trying to start it. I was going to just start carrying my FOB around, but I hate that. Now, if my PAAK isn't connecting right away, I just use the door code to get in, and then the password to start the car. I had to disable the walk away lock feature, since I don't like it locking my car when I'm home and it's in my garage.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
6a here. Went from working quite reliably to hardly ever 2 Google security updates ago. A full reset and repairing later and it's back to normal.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Google is having lots of bluetooth issues on Pixels. They started for me with Android 13 in November. Around February, they finally had everything working well. PAAK and Android Auto both worked consistently. Then in April, everything went to crap again. But way worse than before.

It seems like I can either have PAAK work, or have Android Auto work. Rarely do both work the same time getting in to the car. Often both don't work. Sometimes turning bluetooth off/on makes it work. Often, the phone has to be rebooted (Ford Pass will never even go in to 'connecting'). I've also been having Android Auto disconnect as soon as I drive out of wifi range of my house.

I've had similar issues with my wife's Tesla since April which was always reliable before. I tried using my work iPhone for a week, and not a single PAAK or Car Play issue. Ford has issues, but Google is most definitely at fault lately.

Rookie

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Prem RWD ER Iced Blue Silver Metallic
Country flag
My car is one year old this month. PAAK has gone from 'bad to worse' for me in my first year. Maybe it's my Pixel 6a.

My phone use to activate the lights as I approached the car - hasn't happened in months.

My wife and I open the doors and check interior lights first to see which profile the car recognizes. (I carry my phone, she has her fob in a Faraday pouch.) At times it recognizes the last profile that drove the car.

Phone lets me enter the car-start the car-then tells me 'no key detected' about 25% of the time.

When I get out of the car (after a NKD notice)-it won't let me lock the car with the black lock symbol.

Sometimes when I get a NKD notice, and try to restart the car, the car horn starts blasting. So I pull out my FOB to stop the horn (and let my neighbors go back to sleep).

Haven't seen the 'puddle lights' at night in months - not sure if its related to PAAK.

Listen to podcasts and music by connecting the phone to the car via Bluetooth. At times there is no sound from the car speakers unless I re-start the car.

I have done a complete delete/install of the FordPass but no real difference. Every time I get an update for the FordPass, I get excited that this will be the fix to end this madness.

My wife won't let me install PAAK on her phone (6a) because of my frustration with PAAK. But, like most women, she carries a purse so having a phone and a fob is no big deal.

I now carry my fob in a Faraday bag too. So when my wife sees me in cargo pants - she knows we are going for a ride.

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
I have a Galaxy S21 and I would say that it works but frustratingly. If I walk up to the car with just my phone I have to wait or push the button multiple times before it recognizes me. Even then sometimes I'll get into the car and still get a message that no key was detected, which makes me wonder why it unlocked and opened the door for me. I've always carried my fob for that reason as it always works and I'm not stuck looking like an idiot standing by my car pushing the button for several minutes while everyone in the parking lot stares at me.
Sponsored