IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
Going to drop a recommended phone here: The best value for a phone right now (if buying a new phone) is the iPhone SE at $399. Also, if you've never had a smartphone, iPhone's can't be beat for simplicity.

The SE has all the "guts" of the more expensive iPhone's for a fraction of the price.

All of that coming from an Android phone user ;)
I agree with you about the iPhone (as an avid Android user myself). I purchased an iPhone 6 two years ago from eBay to use as a drone for connected cars. I never activated it and it works well with connected cars while also allowing me slight control over privacy and advertising. The drone phone works well with the MME.
Sponsored

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
iPhone SE or Pixel 4a would be the best. Cheap, solid, and well supported phones.
For the Apple side, I want to flag to get the iPhone SE second generation which retails new at $399. It was released March 2020 and should have a long support life (5+ years).

There's a first generation (released March 2016) which wouldn't have all the features to work with the Mach-E and is at risk for deprecation in the next year.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One new item we've been learning: the Mach E only comes with one key fob. They assume folks will use PAAK and the touch pads most of the time.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hi all.....first of all I am embarrassed to ask these questions (although none of you know me, haha).....I DO NOT have a smartphone......my cell is a flip phone, hardly ever used......I have a select mach e on order and I am wondering what I will miss out on without the smartphone (obviously "phone as a key" is one).....I do not do social media, take pictures etc.....my tech IQ is probably grade 2 or 3 as it relates to phones.....just so you don't think I am helpless, I do have strengths, gardening, homemade wine, cooking, woodwork, etc, just not tech so much.....
.........some questions:
-do I need the smartphone for the mach e?......why?
-do I need the phone for Ford Pass?.....why?
-if YES, I need the phone, what operating sys., how much data and memory do I need as it relates to the mach e?
- will NAV work without the phone?
You get it I need help!!.....Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.....I am sure I'd get better info here that my dealer......any questions, I may not have asked, those answers would be great too.......my tech needs are simpler than most of you, but I don't want to miss out on all the good stuff.....thanking you all in advance.....thanks
Sounds like you are doing just fine not having a smart phone while owning your C-Max so you will be just fine without it on the Mach-E. ?

As far as I can tell.....the Ford Pass app is to the Mach-E as MyFordMobile is to the C-Max Energi (or Focus Electric). The one exception is the Mach-E has a feature that turns your phone into a key fob so the car knows you are nearby and you don't have to press any buttons to lock/unlock the vehicle. Other than that....they are nearly the same. (You can lock/unlock the doors with MyFordMobile but the car won't start without an actual keyfob.)

Do flip phones have bluetooth? Is your phone able to connect to your C-Max so you can talk hands free while driving. If so, then that will probably work the same with your MME (unless there are different versions of bluetooth that I am not aware of.....) ????

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Do flip phones have bluetooth? Is your phone able to connect to your C-Max so you can talk hands free while driving. If so, then that will probably work the same with your MME (unless there are different versions of bluetooth that I am not aware of.....) ????
even flip phones generally have Bluetooth nowadays for headsets and car hands-free etc. if nothing else (may not have say the A2DP but probably wouldn't ever use it anyway).

but since @c max said that he rarely uses his cell phone right now, I'm guessing that "hands-free in the car" is not a real-life use case for him anyway.

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
If you do want to get a smartphone, you should call the FordPass guides and find out what phones are officially supported. The main Ford folks will say "there's no list of supported phones," but that's not true -- FordPass does have a list. My phone manufacturer isn't on it.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
even flip phones generally have Bluetooth nowadays for headsets and car hands-free etc. if nothing else (may not have say the A2DP but probably wouldn't ever use it anyway).

but since @c max said that he rarely uses his cell phone right now, I'm guessing that "hands-free in the car" is not a real-life use case for him anyway.
True. He might want to rethink that though. If for no other reason it can give him the ability to make a 911 call in case of an accident or some medical emergency. The feature is there and if his flip phone has bluetooth then it might be something worth figuring out how to set up. ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
True. He might want to rethink that though. If for no other reason it can give him the ability to make a 911 call in case of an accident or some medical emergency. The feature is there and if his flip phone has bluetooth then it might be something worth figuring out how to set up. ?
ah, that's a good point. I hope to never actually need Sync's "911 Assist" feature but it's always struck me as an amazing thing.

OP
OP

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Hi all, I thought this thread was dead, haha......my flip phone is not Bluetooth....I even tried, after reading these last few threads, to connect in the C max......the car said nothing was found, haha.....I guess I'm just an old dinosaur......I use the cell when on the road, that's when it is turned on (only).......when I get the Mach e, I intend to drive without a connected phone.....if I see that I am missing more than I want to, I guess I'll have to take the big step......actually I have been thinking about ditching the landline, and maybe going cellular.......I'll have to see after I get the Mach e......take care all and thanks for your responses, maybe soon I'll be asking for advice on what phone should I get, haha.....

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
maybe soon I'll be asking for advice on what phone should I get, haha.....
and just like that the forum succumbed to infighting and self-immolation over the great Android vs. iOS debate.

?
Sponsored