Architect
Country flag

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
3 years in and the 12v in our Leaf is fine.
My 2015 B250 has its original battery. ... and I use it as a 120 volt backup, but don’t tell Mercedes.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Did anyone check where the 12V is in there and if it’s actually something you could replace yourself easily at 10pm in the dark with cold fingers on a frozen highway? Know that BEVs kill
Their 12V’s like no tomorrow
My son and I have a collective 14.5 years driving Leafs and Bolt. Neither of us has ever had an issue with the 12V battery. Are there some data that suggest a problem with 12V batteries in EVs?
I'm not sure why the 12v battery wouldn't last twice or three times that of ICE. No crank events.
3 years in and the 12v in our Leaf is fine.
The 12v can die anytime. Some even die a week after you drive the car off the lot. I make a habit of always carrying a portable charger. The new lithium ion ones are small and you can just stash them in the trunk where the charge cord goes.

You only need 150 watts or so just to get the computer running, which means a charger of any size should do. I have the Weego 44 which will start an F-150. Overkill for sure but it's quite small and you never know what might show up dead at the end of the driveway. Case in point, I've never needed a portable jump myself but I have used it to jump three or four neighbors as well as a couple who got stranded when trying to find find their polling place. I told them I'd give them a jump if satisfied with their vote! (Only kidding of course).

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
A lot of continuous draw though, Tesla used to have problems for years, idk if they still do. Hopefully that stuff will stay in 2017 where it belongs, 3+yrs of life I can handle.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/81007/12v-battery
Tesla likely has some engineering/software issues that cause Key Off Loads (KOL) to be high, causing 12v battery problems. That is really a Tesla only problem, likely due to the fact they are still new at making vehicles. I guess they could band-aid it by using the high voltage battery, but that would hurt their mythical range numbers... ;)

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Tesla likely has some engineering/software issues that cause Key Off Loads (KOL) to be high, causing 12v battery problems. That is really a Tesla only problem, likely due to the fact they are still new at making vehicles. I guess they could band-aid it by using the high voltage battery, but that would hurt their mythical range numbers... ;)
https://insideevs.com/news/450860/volkswagen-id3-12v-battery-issues/

VW have had similar issues with the ID3 but it doesn't appear as widespread as Tesla, yet

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My Focus Electric only discharged the 12V battery once in the 3-years I had it. Never had to replace it, just jumped it and then let it charge back up.

Our C-Max never lost the 12V battery but that is a different animal.

So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the Bolt's 12V battery.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Why not to let people put their feet up on the passenger dash:

ouch.

I didn't say I would let them keep their feet there, just that kids do the dumbest things possible for reasons no one can fathom. I am actually surprised that my son is still alive with some of the things he's done, actually.

Case in point - and I swear this is a true story: My wife called me at work one afternoon to tell me that the TV in the den wouldn't turn on, nor would the floor lamp. When I got home I saw that the breaker for our den was popped, so I pushed it on and it immediately tripped again. After investigating all the outlets, I found the one with the tweezers jammed in it. He was 3 or 4, and that's not even close to the dumbest thing he's done.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
ouch.

I didn't say I would let them keep their feet there, just that kids do the dumbest things possible for reasons no one can fathom. I am actually surprised that my son is still alive with some of the things he's done, actually.

Case in point - and I swear this is a true story: My wife called me at work one afternoon to tell me that the TV in the den wouldn't turn on, nor would the floor lamp. When I got home I saw that the breaker for our den was popped, so I pushed it on and it immediately tripped again. After investigating all the outlets, I found the one with the tweezers jammed in it. He was 3 or 4, and that's not even close to the dumbest thing he's done.
the positive from that story is that the safety system worked correctly ?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
ouch.

Random experiments on safety critical systems. Got it.

Is your son on the glide path towards practicing medicine? Our possibly managing a first adopter focused vehicle company?
Sponsored