Planning a Trip to Vernal UT. Most available plugs are J1772 What do I need?

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
see title
Sponsored

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Do you mean do you need an adapter? If so, no. J1772 is the standard type of plug for EVs. But you won't get the 100's of kwh charges that a DCFC will give you. This is more of an overnight charge. Hopefully it's available at the place you're staying at. Then just plug it in and go to bed.

If you expect to stop for lunch and have a full battery when you're done, that's not what this is.

Hence the responses of "time", "lots of time".

OP
OP
1969Mach1Mike

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
I'm not worried about the speed (for all you funny people). I just need to add 50 miles.

The issue:

ABRP wasn't showing any chargers in town (with my MME 4x AWD selected in preferences). I went into town using the plugshare app and saw a bunch of J1772 (lvl2) chargers. ABRP confused me as to whether the J1772 in town would work with the MME or not. I started thinking maybe there was a slight difference and that is why they weren't showing up (confusing my reality). I don't have any preferences set to LVL2 or DCFC.

So essentially ABRP was gaslighting me and I started questioning if the MME wouldn't work.

I looked at the chargers via Plugshare Ppp and customer images and I can see there are a few Chargpoints, a CrippleCreek etc. So I posted here to have everyoen rebalance my reality. Does ABRP suck that bad (on my home computer)? Go try it yourself. Vernal UT.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
A quick look on PlugShare I see 5 L2 chargers listed in Vernal UT
2 Shell Bs Convenience stores a Hotel and the health department.

Time is what you need but 50 miles should be doable in a couple of hours if it's 6 kW

I also see notes about 1-hour max at least one location

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
We're also missing some important context, like where are you coming from and how long are you staying.

There's a fast charger in Dinosaur, CO about 30 miles away, which is as good an excuse as any to check out some dinosaur fossils. Definitely worth checking out the quarry exhibit hall on the way back. Absolutely stunning.

OP
OP
1969Mach1Mike

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
We're also missing some important context, like where are you coming from and how long are you staying.

There's a fast charger in Dinosaur, CO about 30 miles away, which is as good an excuse as any to check out some dinosaur fossils. Definitely worth checking out the quarry exhibit hall on the way back. Absolutely stunning.

That's why i'm going. I have decided to take the kids to see the bones.
That fast charger in Dinosaur was showing inoperable a week ago. So I decided to stay a few nights in Vernal.

OP
OP
1969Mach1Mike

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
A quick look on PlugShare I see 5 L2 chargers listed in Vernal UT
2 Shell Bs Convenience stores a Hotel and the health department.

Time is what you need but 50 miles should be doable in a couple of hours if it's 6 kW

I also see notes about 1-hour max at least one location
Correct which is what I said. The context is ABRP vs Plugshare. I started to get confused as to whether those L2 were compatible with the MME because ABRP kept telling me they weren't compatible. I started thinking maybe they were an older standard and I needed an adapter. ABRP gaslighted me.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Correct which is what I said. The context is ABRP vs Plugshare. I started to get confused as to whether those L2 were compatible with the MME because ABRP kept telling me they weren't compatible. I started thinking maybe they were an older standard and I needed an adapter. ABRP gaslighted me.
I haven’t seen a level 2 that wasn’t compatible. As far as I know, they are all compatible. They might not all work, but they should be compatible unless it’s a Tesla destination charger. Then you’ll need an adaptor. Personally, I never liked ABRP and gave up on it. I use PlugShare all the time for trips. The check-ins usually paint a pretty good picture of what’s what. If you Bring your mobile charger with you, you also gain the contingency of L1 charging if there’s a plug you can access. It’s slow, but the 30 miles you get over night might be just enough. I’ve done it in Maine at a B+B that only had Tesla chargers - it had a regular plug on the post too.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I reported here on my recent 1000 mile trip that ABRP was giving me bad information like telling me I needed to travel to a charger I was currently plugged in at and wanted me to go to a charger that was further away and once I reached it it was broken. I only used PlugShare only after that happened. I also report in PS at every stop since that really helps to see recent charge activity from others.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
Context is key. Your title & OP was vague to say the least. Wasn't quite sure what you were looking for in terms of response.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
ABRP works great for planning routes, not designed to find all compatible chargers at a destination.

But this is likely user error. By default, ABRP doesn't select level 2 chargers because makes a lousy trip. Check your charger settings.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
1969Mach1Mike

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
ABRP works great for planning routes, not designed to find all compatible chargers at a destination.

But this is likely user error. By default, ABRP doesn't select level 2 chargers because makes a lousy trip. Check your charger settings.
I had all chargers selected. Hence the confusion on why ABRP wasn't showing them.
Sponsored