iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
I had my dealer send the following to Ford.

Steven,

I have what I believe is a design flaw with my 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium.

VIN

My driveway is about 75 feet long and rises up from the street to the garage. When I back down the driveway as I near the street alarms go off and the car slams on the brakes. The reverse brake assist is seeing the street as an obstacle that it is going to collide with. The first time this happened full accelerator pedal moved the car backwards at a creep velocity until the car leveled out.

I had the same problem with my Tesla but it has an air suspension and raising the car to very high avoided the problem. The car geo-fenced that change and always raises the suspension in my driveway.

My only option with the Mach-E is to turn Reverse Brake Assist off. The downside of that is that every time I shift into reverse I get a big warning on the driver screen that says "Reverse Brake Assist OFF". I know it is turned off and don't need to be reminded since I can never turn it back on. In spite of it being turned off I still get beeps as I get near the street but at least the brakes don't get applied.

Please submit this to Mach-E Engineering so they can come up with a solution.

One solution would be to geo-fence my driveway and block the warnings and braking when inside of the fence.

Another, assuming the car knows when it is not level, would be to block the warnings when backing down hill.

And no I am not going to dig into the menus and turn it back on every time I get on the street.

Thanks,

John
This type of prompt should include an option to re-enable right there, w/o having to dig through menus. But that maybe was low on the list of software design changes in order meet the production roll-out. Maybe in a future OTA if it happens to enough drivers.
Sponsored

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This type of prompt should include an option to re-enable right there, w/o having to dig through menus. But that maybe was low on the list of software design changes in order meet the production roll-out. Maybe in a future OTA if it happens to enough drivers.
That wouldn't solve the problem. The prompt happens in my garage when I shift into reverse. With the current implementation it must remain off until I am all of the way down the driveway and on the street where the car is level again. At that point I am no longer in reverse and the prompt is gone. When I shift from reverse to drive I am in the middle of the street blocking it. There is no way I am going to be messing with settings while I am blocking the street.