TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I recently had the whole front end and all the gloss black covered with PPF. Well, that was a mistake. It just did not settle correctly and had very visible seams and bubbles that would not come out. Called my guy back and he agreed that it was sub-par and would fix it. I opted to have it all removed and replaced with ceramic coating. No additional cost.

He came back to the house and removed all the PPF yesterday. Then re-polished the whole car and applied Ceramic Pro 9H. It looks much better, IMHO

Here's a couple of pics. Not the best presentation due to the shade. I'll get some in full sun later and add them here.

I was really hoping the PPF was gonna be the answer for me. Maybe my expectations were too high but it just did not look good at all.

Ford Mustang Mach-E PPF removed Ceramic Pro 9H applied IMG_2051
Ford Mustang Mach-E PPF removed Ceramic Pro 9H applied IMG_2052

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sorry the PPF didn't work out, it should have. The end result though is gorgeous. Nice car. :)

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Sorry the PPF didn't work out, it should have. The end result though is gorgeous. Nice car. :)
Looks much better now for sure.

Honestly, I think the problem was the installer. I asked if he had done a MME before and he said yes. Turns out he detailed a few and applied ceramic to 1. I think the compound curves and details on the front really were beyond his skills.

In the end he made it right and I'm happy

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
PPF and ceramic coatings serve two different functions. Contrary to urban myths and some unscrupulous/ignorant installers, ceramic coatings provide zero protection against physical damage. Think of a ceramic coating as a very high quality, long lasting wax. It will not prevent scratches, swirl marks, chipping, etc, or even provide the tiniest protection for said damage. It will provide some protection against oxidation and some chemical attacks. If properly applied it provides a long lasting shine and can be applied over PPF. PPF provides physical protection against minor physical damage. The issues with the PPF you had were due either to the installer, or the use of an inferior PPF. Either way, I wouldn't trust the installer to wash my car. Just saying...

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Did he offer a credit for the price difference? Ceramic is typically cheaper than PPF.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Detailer and I are square.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I recently had the whole front end and all the gloss black covered with PPF. Well, that was a mistake. It just did not settle correctly and had very visible seams and bubbles that would not come out. Called my guy back and he agreed that it was sub-par and would fix it. I opted to have it all removed and replaced with ceramic coating. No additional cost.

He came back to the house and removed all the PPF yesterday. Then re-polished the whole car and applied Ceramic Pro 9H. It looks much better, IMHO

Here's a couple of pics. Not the best presentation due to the shade. I'll get some in full sun later and add them here.

I was really hoping the PPF was gonna be the answer for me. Maybe my expectations were too high but it just did not look good at all.

The problem is definitely the installer. Correctly installed PPF should be invisible. When I had mine installed it was the first MME they had done. They said they were raising the price of the MME install because it was so difficult with all the curves.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
The problem is definitely the installer. Correctly installed PPF should be invisible. When I had mine installed it was the first MME they had done. They said they were raising the price of the MME install because it was so difficult with all the curves.
I'm sure it was, those compound curves have to be difficult to work with. Another issue may have been my expectations as well. I was expecting total invisibility and that was not the case. Either way, he came back with no argument and made it right. The ceramic looks fantastic. It may not offer the same level of protection as PPF but it will work for me (lots of trees and no garage) and it's a lifetime coating so they will maintain it annually.

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Both my PPF and grill decal installers noted the same thing - particularly the curves at the bottom of the mustache. The Ford MME cover is light and expensive but
Ford Mustang Mach-E PPF removed Ceramic Pro 9H applied IMG_3476
very form fitting. Mine has been very good at protecting from trees and sun (part outside also). It is not water-proof - strong nylon material. Over $300. Or you can get a thicker generic one from Amazon for about $70. But is won't be very form fitting.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
My PPF was professionally installed. A 3M brand and I personally applied a special protective GTecniq Halo ceramic coat to protect it even further. It is easy to clean and looks amazing. Nice to have front end protected against minor stone chips. The rest of my car was protected by GTecniq Ultra. Going to protect my summer and winter wheels with ceramic coating Wheel armor by GTecniq. So far I am impressed with results.
IMG_20210515_1024062.jpg

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
PPF and ceramic coatings serve two different functions. Contrary to urban myths and some unscrupulous/ignorant installers, ceramic coatings provide zero protection against physical damage. Think of a ceramic coating as a very high quality, long lasting wax. It will not prevent scratches, swirl marks, chipping, etc, or even provide the tiniest protection for said damage. It will provide some protection against oxidation and some chemical attacks. If properly applied it provides a long lasting shine and can be applied over PPF. PPF provides physical protection against minor physical damage. The issues with the PPF you had were due either to the installer, or the use of an inferior PPF. Either way, I wouldn't trust the installer to wash my car. Just saying...
This x 1000.

PPF from a good installer or DIY if you’ve done the precut kits yourself previously. Then apply this:

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-spray-coating-16-fl-oz

I kid you not. $14.99 and 2 coats lasts 6 months at least. 3-4 coats even better. You can foam cannon/power wash your car and literally never have to use a wash mitt/bucket unless your car gets really dirty/bug splattered.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Well I can confirm that it washes up super easy. Hit it with a pressure washer, foam cannon and a soak for a couple of minutes. Rinse with pressure washer and a quick wipe dry with a micro fiber towel. Used less than half the soap I used too and about 1/4 of the time as well. No need for a wash mitt this time.

Car looks great.

Stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD Ext
Country flag
Glad you got it resolved Tim. Looks good!

Reactions: TRP

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Nice.

OP
OP