First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Hey guys!
Newbie here! This might sound like a dumb question but will pre conditioning use the electicity from the grid rather then car’s battery if I remote start the car at 2pm (for example) while car plugged in but is on the daily schedule to be charged 12-8am.

Thanks!!
Sponsored

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
Pre conditioning is not the same as remote starting… but yes

OP
OP

Lbun77

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I guess I should rephrase. I am remote starting the car to warm it up while it’s plugged in but on the charging schedule from 12-8am. Wanna make sure that I’m using the grid and not the battery.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I guess I should rephrase. I am remote starting the car to warm it up while it’s plugged in but on the charging schedule from 12-8am. Wanna make sure that I’m using the grid and not the battery.
Yes, it will be using the grid instead of the battery to warm the car when you remote start it while plugged in outside of the charging schedule

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Yep, and that's exactly what its main purpose is! If you're going on a long trip, use Departure Times, which will precondition both the battery and the cabin using electricity from the grid.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ideally, you would set a departure time vs remote starting, to also warm the battery. Either will use wall current.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Setting a departure time for any given day of the week will precondition the battery and the inside of the car using power from the grid (assuming it is plugged in). Remote starting the car will only precondition the interior of the car using the grid.

If you have a set schedule where you leave the house and/or work at the same time, it is best to enter those days and times into the car so that it will be able to precondition both the battery and interior without you even having to think about it.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Yep, and that's exactly what its main purpose is! If you're going on a long trip, use Departure Times, which will precondition both the battery and the cabin using electricity from the grid.
Ford really needs to add an on-demand preconditioning function to the app. Its silly making people add (and then delete) a schedule just to precondition.

katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Infinite Blue, 2018 Expedition
Country flag
Have there been any updates to any type of automatic battery conditioning? I'm thinking more about summer at this point. Don't Teslas turn on and off when its hot out, regardless if plugged in or not?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Have there been any updates to any type of automatic battery conditioning? I'm thinking more about summer at this point. Don't Teslas turn on and off when its hot out, regardless if plugged in or not?
The car will pull power in short bursts when it's cold. Is that conditioning the battery, or maintaining the set charge level? My car did that at 3:20AM for 15 minutes. Did it the day before also. It is quite cold now. Didn't do it the days prior.
Sponsored