Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I’m considering getting a GT bumper and installing it on my premium, while I’m having the fender flares body color matched. So far, I’ve found the p/n for the bumper and am unsure if that includes the GT grille. Ford Parts counter is useless (I called 3). Still doing my research.

Where I’m asking for help/feedback is from anyone who’s removed the front bumper, and did you notice anything else I may need to perform the conversion?

As I get concrete data, I’ll update this post for others to reference.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I’m considering getting a GT bumper and installing it on my premium, while I’m having the fender flares body color matched. So far, I’ve found the p/n for the bumper and am unsure if that includes the GT grille. Ford Parts counter is useless (I called 3). Still doing my research.

Where I’m asking for help/feedback is from anyone who’s removed the front bumper, and did you notice anything else I may need to perform the conversion?

Are you worried about any sensors up there? It’s not like old cars where you can take body panels off all Willy Nilly.

I count 6 sensors plus a camera on the front of my GTPE. Then there’s the light up pony to consider.

Might be easier to buy a GT.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
Are you worried about any sensors up there? It’s not like old cars where you can take body panels off all Willy Nilly.

I count 6 sensors plus a camera on the front of my GTPE. Then there’s the light up pony to consider.

Might be easier to buy a GT.
Theres something to what you say. I for sure will follow this thread along. I like the idea myself. But complexity and dollar amounts will set the standard. My humble 2 cents.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Might be a pretty tall order on parts. My GT was delivered damaged and I’ve been waiting a month for a replacement grill cap

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

I don’t know if Simon is on the forum here. But over on Facebook in the Mach E Nation group there’s a gent named Simon Tse. He removed the front bumper to wrap his premium. He’s the only one I know that’s had it all the way off.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Theres something to what you say. I for sure will follow this thread along. I like the idea myself. But complexity and dollar amounts will set the standard. My humble 2 cents.
Dollar amounts for sure will be a deciding factor. My initial tasks are Intel gathering to ensure I identify all the correct components.

Might be a pretty tall order on parts. My GT was delivered damaged and I’ve been waiting a month for a replacement grill cap
I know parts are scarce now so it’s something I’ll wait to pull the trigger on until I can get 90% of the parts.

Why? Why would you do this?
Because I like the aesthetics of the GT front bumper over the premium, and that’s about it. Don’t care for the GT interior with how I plan to use my MME. I ordered a premium extended range RWD to get the maximum mileage possible.

I don’t know if Simon is on the forum here. But over on Facebook in the Mach E Nation group there’s a gent named Simon Tse. He removed the front bumper to wrap his premium. He’s the only one I know that’s had it all the way off.
Don’t know who that is but will look into this information.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Don’t know who that is but will look into this information.
I didn’t figure you knew about him. Just providing you the resources that I know of. He posted about it publicly so I assume he would be willing to answer questions.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I didn’t figure you knew about him. Just providing you the resources that I know of. He posted about it publicly so I assume he would be willing to answer questions.
That’s great. I’ll take all the help I can get. Ford Parts remains useless. I have an autobody colleague that’s willing to help out.

Earplug

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT-PE
Country flag
A Body Shop at a Ford Dealer would be much more familiar with the parts ordering that the Repair Shop.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Go to a paint shop and get an idea of the cost to paint to match. That cost alone may put you off the project.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
A Body Shop at a Ford Dealer would be much more familiar with the parts ordering that the Repair Shop.
I've spoke with 2 in my area that aren't the dealership parts departments I've previously asked. They're also useless. My preferred bodyshop has proven to be more help thus far.

Go to a paint shop and get an idea of the cost to paint to match. That cost alone may put you off the project.
It's not. I already have an estimate from my body shop on the labor and materials. I'll already be getting the fender flares color matched, so the expense of loading up sprayers for painting will be absorbed into the total cost. It'll be the extra labor and materials, which doesn't deter me.

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
I've spoke with 2 in my area that aren't the dealership parts departments I've previously asked. They're also useless. My preferred bodyshop has proven to be more help thus far.

It's not. I already have an estimate from my body shop on the labor and materials. I'll already be getting the fender flares color matched, so the expense of loading up sprayers for painting will be absorbed into the total cost. It'll be the extra labor and materials, which doesn't deter me.
How much is the estimate? Lets hear that if you dont mind. I am preparing for a shock. Also you threw in an extra, the wheel.well flares. Thank you. ?

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
How much is the estimate? Lets hear that if you dont mind. I am preparing for a shock. Also you threw in an extra, the wheel.well flares. Thank you. ?
My original quote was for fender flares only. $600 and some change. When adding the bumper job, $1200 total; inclusive of all removal, prep & paint, and installation.
Sponsored