Question About Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (Not Mustang Mach E Specific)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This question isn’t specific to the Mustang Mach E, but I’m hoping that Ford is using the same systems here.
A buddy of mine has a 2022 Ranger XLT with 302 and the Technology package. The vehicle comes with CoPilot 360 and Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking.
He was just in an unusual fender-bender. He was coming up to a T Intersection. He was coming up the vertical bar of the T and going to make a left at the intersection. On the horizontal bar of the T, at the intersection. there is a “STOP except for right turns) sign for all traffic proceeding left-to-right on the horizontal bar. My friend was about to make a left turn at the T intersection (onto the horizontal bar and going left). A BMW M5 appears on the horizontal bar going left to right and proceeds through the intersection without stopping. My friend’s truck hit the front passenger side of the BMW M5 (for those who are interested, there’s a small business at that corner with lots of CCTV. The local police are friends with the business owner and reviews the video as soon as they arrived. The video confirms the BMW M5 went through the STOP sign without stopping or even slowing. The BMW got a citation and the cop said he was at fault in the incident report).
Anyway, my question: my friend says that he had no collision warning and that the collision assist hadn’t kicked in. The weather conditions were sunny and his truck just came from the car wash, so it’s doubtful any sensors were obscured.
Any ideas why pre-collision assist didn’t react?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
This question isn’t specific to the Mustang Mach E, but I’m hoping that Ford is using the same systems here.
A buddy of mine has a 2022 Ranger XLT with 302 and the Technology package. The vehicle comes with CoPilot 360 and Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking.
He was just in an unusual fender-bender. He was coming up to a T Intersection. He was coming up the vertical bar of the T and going to make a left at the intersection. On the horizontal bar of the T, at the intersection. there is a “STOP except for right turns) sign for all traffic proceeding left-to-right on the horizontal bar. My friend was about to make a left turn at the T intersection (onto the horizontal bar and going left). A BMW M5 appears on the horizontal bar going left to right and proceeds through the intersection without stopping. My friend’s truck hit the front passenger side of the BMW M5 (for those who are interested, there’s a small business at that corner with lots of CCTV. The local police are friends with the business owner and reviews the video as soon as they arrived. The video confirms the BMW M5 went through the STOP sign without stopping or even slowing. The BMW got a citation and the cop said he was at fault in the incident report).
Anyway, my question: my friend says that he had no collision warning and that the collision assist hadn’t kicked in. The weather conditions were sunny and his truck just came from the car wash, so it’s doubtful any sensors were obscured.
Any ideas why pre-collision assist didn’t react?
Sounds like the BMW vehicle appeared too quickly for the AEB to react.

My understanding is that the AEB is for situations like when a car is stopped way ahead of you and you don't slow down in time to prevent slamming into that car, so your vehicle applies the brakes very hard, nearly at the last second to prevent or lessen the impact.

Here's the Ford video explanation.
https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/fe...ogy-video-676c83110615122ce11ba4449b8ae611-ai

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

My understanding is that the AEB is for situations like when a car is stopped way ahead of you and you don't slow down in time to prevent slamming into that car, so your vehicle applies the brakes very hard, nearly at the last second to prevent or lessen the impact.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/fe...ogy-video-676c83110615122ce11ba4449b8ae611-ai
Agreed. I'm not at all surprised it didn't react. The Pre-Collision Assist (likely) feature isn't designed for such situations where a car is coming from the side. Even its name implies that it doesn't work all the time!

I'm glad your friend's insurance should cover the entire accident since it was the BMW driver's fault.

And I gotta say I'm shocked, simply SHOCKED that a BMW driver would do such a thing! 😉

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

Thanks! That’s what I thought was the case. My friend wanted to know if his AEB wasn’t working.
Sponsored