Range better in the UK?!

spazkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE GB Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Not sure if this has been brought up by anyone else.
It looks to me that the UK Ford site has posted different range capabilities than the US site. Screen grabs are included, but in summary: First Edition = 270miles on the US site vs. 335miles on the UK site. This translates through to the other models too. Maybe I'm missing something - if so, let me know. Or maybe the range will be much better than anticipated!
(I apologize for the crude screen grabs. )

UK: https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/mustang-mach-e
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range better in the UK?! UK Mach E.PNG

US: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range better in the UK?! US Mach E.PNG

UK Mach E.PNG

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure if this has been brought up by anyone else.
It looks to me that the UK Ford site has posted different range capabilities than the US site. Screen grabs are included, but in summary: First Edition = 270miles on the US site vs. 335miles on the UK site. This translates through to the other models too. Maybe I'm missing something - if so, let me know. Or maybe the range will be much better than anticipated!
Probably goofy WLTP numbers.

OP
OP
spazkey

spazkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE GB Mustang Mach E
Country flag
And here I thought I was onto something special.
Not sure if I understand WLTP, outside of it being a different conditions to conduct range test.

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
The EPA test contains a larger component of freeway\motorway driving than the WLTP test which is less efficient than city driving. The difference between the two values seems larger than usual however so I hope the EPA figure is an underestimate.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
When it comes to real world EV ranges I would class the EPA and WLTP in thesame boat as either being wildly optimistic or woefully pessimistic. Until the mach-e out in the real world with owners under various driving conditions at the moment all ranges are pure guesstimates as to what your individual use case will return.

With the WLTP there are various classes based on power to weight seeing as most BEVS are heavyweights they may end up in one of the lower classes so the highway speed portion is done at a lower speed, then again most BEV's have a very low top speed so not many of them will be the top of the list as an autobahn barnstormer.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When it comes to real world EV ranges I would class the EPA and WLTP in thesame boat as either being wildly optimistic or woefully pessimistic. Until the mach-e out in the real world with owners under various driving conditions at the moment all ranges are pure guesstimates as to what your individual use case will return.

With the WLTP there are various classes based on power to weight seeing as most BEVS are heavyweights they may end up in one of the lower classes so the highway speed portion is done at a lower speed, then again most BEV's have a very low top speed so not many of them will be the top of the list as an autobahn barnstormer.
Don't know about WLTP, but EPA highway ratings for passenger vehicles use are already based on a too-low speed. I read that they're based on a 55 MPH average. That's too slow for US highways, especially for BEVs where the efficiency drops precipitously as you go higher.

But for city driving it could very well be pessimistic. For the "300 mile" Mach-e ER RWD, my guess is it'll be more like 340 for slow speed city (@favorable temps), but more like 220 on the interstate at 70+ MPH.

Last edited:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Depending on the class, the mach-e gets grouped in then for WLTP high speed it will either being doing a 60mph & 80mph or just the 60mph. I suspect most BEV end up in the 60 only due to power to weight, compared to most cars that will normally end up testing the 60 and 80.

In time BEV is are going to have to be like ICE in that high speed efficiency requires additional gearing, there will come a point where a 1 speed gearbox just will just not cut it.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
It is. Even says that in the footnotes. (Well, not the "goofy" part, but it might as well.)
Check out the Edmunds article from January 27. They got more than 300 miles.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Check out the Edmunds article from January 27. They got more than 300 miles.
Yeah, wish they had expanded on all that went into that range test rather than just throwing out a final number (304).

I don't doubt some will be able to squeeze 300+ out in the right conditions. But the conditions are key. Most people won't have the "right conditions" available to them, or desireable to them, to maximize range.

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am in the UK and I tell anyone interested in buying an EV to check the same vehicle if available in the US as the published numbers are much nearer the likely range.

Our numbers are an EU specified test and it is pretty unrealistic.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Yes, I’m also a UK Mach-e owner with over 56,000 miles on the clock so with significant experience of performance, range etc so I can share with you that the WLTP figures can be put through the cross-cut shredder. Optimistic is too charitable a word for WLTP, they are woefully inaccurate and unachievable. My experience is in the best conditions possible c270miles range is about as good as it gets. Sure, you’ll see photos of dashes displaying ranges around 370 which is only possible after driving history is cleared or came be better than 270 range where A/C, heating etc is all turned off but that’s not representative of “driving” a car. I can’t imagine any climate or part of the world where range is anywhere near the “possible” 379 miles, it’s a lie just like ICE mpg figures have always been. So, in short US Mach-e users, you’re missing out on nothing in terms of the range of Mach-e cars in EU or UK. And winter knocks off another c50miles!!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yes, I’m also a UK Mach-e owner with over 56,000 miles on the clock so with significant experience of performance, range etc so I can share with you that the WLTP figures can be put through the cross-cut shredder. Optimistic is too charitable a word for WLTP, they are woefully inaccurate and unachievable. My experience is in the best conditions possible c270miles range is about as good as it gets. Sure, you’ll see photos of dashes displaying ranges around 370 which is only possible after driving history is cleared or came be better than 270 range where A/C, heating etc is all turned off but that’s not representative of “driving” a car. I can’t imagine any climate or part of the world where range is anywhere near the “possible” 379 miles, it’s a lie just like ICE mpg figures have always been. So, in short US Mach-e users, you’re missing out on nothing in terms of the range of Mach-e cars in EU or UK. And winter knocks off another c50miles!!
What a great response! I need to buy you a beer...
Sponsored