Range decrease due to cold weather! -- Explanation & how to calculate actual range

alaric

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Retired automotive engineer
Country flag
Here is my data so far about seasonal changes in battery range for my 2021 Premium Mach-E (RWD, extended range battery). I took delivery in February 2021 in my home city of Windsor, Ontario. For several months I only drove locally due to COVID restrictions at the US-Canada border. When the restrictions were lifted, I began driving longer trips to visit friends in 'the States'. I also began taking consistent data whenever I charged, both at home (Level 2 AC charger) or on the road (usually DC fast chargers). Normally, I charged to 80%.

READER BEWARE: ALL THIS DATA AND ANALYSIS IS BASED ON THE INDICATED VALUES OF RANGE AND STATE OF CHARGE. QUALITY OF THE RESULTS CAN BE NO BETTER THAN THE QUALITY OF THE INPUTS.

To get a sense of the battery capacity change over both winter/summer cycles and vehicle lifetime, I devised a variable called 'Full Range Estimate'. FRE can be calculated at any time (while driving or charging) by dividing the Range indicated on the Mach-E instrument display by the 'State of Charge' percentage on the same display. For example, if Range is 150 miles and SOC is 50%, then FRE is 300 miles.

From late August 2021 until late December 2022, I have driven over 22,300 miles and charged 225 times. I recorded Range and SOC at the start and end of each charge, and so have two FRE measurements for each charge. FRE, at each charge start and end, is plotted against calendar date in the chart below.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range decrease due to cold weather! -- Explanation & how to calculate actual range 1674579710902

A seasonal decline in range is evident, with up to 50% FRE lost in winter. Some range loss from battery aging may be indicated by the lower peak FRE in summer 2022 compared to summer 2021. There is also a small but consistent difference with FRE typically higher at the end of a charge compared to the start of a charge. This may an indication of improved (indicated) battery performance due to battery heating during a charge. The higher frequency of charging with time in September 2022 was during a 2,800 mile road trip to the eastern US, and in December 2022 a 7,900 mile road trip from Windsor, Ontario to the west coast of the US.

The chart below plots the same data against distance traveled.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range decrease due to cold weather! -- Explanation & how to calculate actual range 1674579793594

A significant range loss is again evident. The loss is not explained by the distance data alone, but can be explained by independently comparing odometer to calendar date from my charging records. For example, I reached 5,000 miles traveled in mid-November 2021 and 7,500 miles in early April 2022. My road trip in September 2022 ran from 11,600 miles to 14,500 miles. My road trip in December 2022 ran from 16,500 miles to 24,400 miles.

The gradual loss of FRE is also evident in this chart, if one considers separately the summer driving from 10,000 to 15,000 miles and the winter driving from 16,000 to 24,000 miles. The higher FRE at the end of each charge compared to the start is also evident.

For both long trips, I used the 'A Better Route Planner' online app to find chargers along my route. APRP provides a list of chargers and a recommended final charge level at each stop, usually less than 80%. Regardless of those recommendations, I almost always charged to at least 80%.

To more clearly define the temperature effect on FRE, the chart below shows FRE at the start of about 80 charges during the December road trip and a few charges during the September road trip. The overlapping cluster of 5 points with temperatures near 70 F are September data. The linear trend-line and its slope were calculated by the spreadsheet.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range decrease due to cold weather! -- Explanation & how to calculate actual range 1674579888408

The temperature effect can be quantified as the trend-line slope of 1.9 miles FRE increase per each degree Fahrenheit increase. So, if your FRE at 70 F is 300 miles, and you plan to drive in 20 F weather, you can expect to lose about 95 miles FRE ((70F -20F)*1.9 = 95) or about 32% of summer range. That is not an exact value, since there is some scattering in the data.

I plan to continue recording this data and to post occasionally with any interesting results.

rnswa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Prem Mach-e -2016 Lex RX350 - 2004 Avalanche
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I took delivery of my mach2 on March 17, of 2021 and was one of those newbies that couldn't understand while my standard range was supposed to be 210 miles yet was only getting 156 miles.

I soon learned thru this forum about the GOM and cold weather issues. So to my surprise two years later on March 19th I got 219 miles of range on my last charge.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range decrease due to cold weather! -- Explanation & how to calculate actual range car

Pigweed

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE, 2015 Silverado, ā€˜09 Kawasaki ZX6
Occupation
Software
Country flag
@Administrator

This has been suggested previously, but I am making the request again.

The below needs to be added as a sticky. If I misattributed it please correct the attribution.

Hello, it looks like you are new and might be complaining about your cold-weather range decrease without having referenced the numerous threads on this subject. Due to high volume of questions, this is a pre-written response to help alleviate your concerns. Remember to use the search function before creating a new thread, as forum members are fatigued with new users asking this same question over and over again almost daily.
TL;DR - Range decreases due to cold weather, the range display is a highly pessimistic guess not to be taken literally, and you might update your software if you want to see a higher number.
First, understand that some range loss in cold weather is normal due to the laws of physics. Chemical reactions in the battery are more sluggish, the air is more dense to push through causing more drag, and your heater takes more electricity to run than A/C. The colder it is, the less your range will be because of these factors.
Second, know that the range you see on your display is just a guess. It can be off 40% or more from reality on some software versions. Do not take the number literally or you will be upset, nothing is wrong with your car. Unlike other brands like Tesla, Ford has made the reading extremely conservative and sensitive to cold temperatures on purpose, so that you donā€™t strand yourself in cold weather. Expect a sharp decrease in the reading below about 50ĀŗF/10ĀŗC that is greater than reality.
Third, be aware that software updates have been released that increase the accuracy of the range display in cold weather significantly. If you havenā€™t had software updates done at your dealer yet, you should consider doing so because you are missing out on a lot of improvements (CSP 21P22 released Nov 22, 2021). After the update, you may see up to 30% more range displayed even though your actual range is unchanged.
You can calculate your actual range yourself by simply noting the battery percentage before and after a trip greater than 20 miles. For example, if a 25 mile trip took 12% battery, 25/.12 = 208 mile range at full charge. Another method is to multiply your mi/kWh efficiency by your battery capacity, either 88 kWh for extended range or 68 kWh for standard range. For example, if you are getting 2.6 mi/kWh in an extended range, 2.6*88 = 229 miles of range. Please note that in cold weather, the actual capacity of the pack will temporarily decrease some, so 80/62 kWh may be a better capacity figure to use for an estimate in cold weather. Full capacity will return next summer with warmer temps.
The amount of actual range loss may vary due to many factors, but to provide a generic reference, a loss of 35% at 20ĀŗF/-7ĀŗC would be typical in average driving. This would equate to a range of approximately 176 mi / 137 mi for extended/standard packs. The percentage range drop compared to summer is also inversely proportional to the speed you drive due to the heaterā€™s percentage of total energy use. If you drive in a city you may see a 40% drop in range, vs. a 25% drop driving on the interstate.
In summary, remember the range display is always a pessimistic guess, and your actual range will be greater than indicated. Remember to get those dealer updates done to increase your satisfaction. Parking in a garage, plugging in, and using departure times will help keep the battery warm and increase your actual range. Enjoy driving your electric car after gaining an understanding of normal cold weather range loss and the pessimistic guessing of the range display, affectionally called the GOM (Guess-O-Meter).

Credit: Mach-Lee
Thank you for posting this. Iā€™ve had my 2022 GTPE since 9/1/2023 and was concerned when my 90% charged range estimate dropped from 210/220 to more like 170 in Los Angeles when the low temps are now hitting about 41f.

A search of this forum yielded this thread which has been very helpful.

CYBER-O

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E4X
Occupation
Independant IT Consultant, Lyft & Uber driver
Country flag
I made my first long, highway round trip in colder weather with new winter tires on and was not able to complete it without a small (30 Km) top up 25 km from home. Last time I made the trip was Nov/23, temps about 5C higher, summer tires still on, and arrived home with 9 Km remaining. Round trip distance estimate via Google maps is 322 Km so I fully charged last night to 100%. Range estimate was 455 Km (Nov was ~410 Km), temp was +6C to -2C between 4:30 pm and 11:30 pm, max speed 75 mph (limit 70). Starting odometer was 18963 and ending was 18963 so actually travelled 343 Km. 455 estimate + 30 top up at 11 Km remaining - 17 remaining = 468 estimated... 125 Km higher than actual! I've made the trip before in warmer temps (10C to 25C) with OE summer tires and made it with as much as 30 km remaining (following a full charge to 100%).

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Not sure why everyone is complaining. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Winter GTPE Range-
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range decrease due to cold weather! -- Explanation & how to calculate actual range IMG_9849

ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦in FLORIDA! šŸ˜œ

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
When I turn off the heater I find that the reduction in range is only 10-15%

What's a little hypothermia between friends? :D
Sponsored