JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
In addition to the above, I would note that speed kills (your mi/kW) and tire pressure matters more than you might think. I routinely overinflated my old Bolt tires, and an extra 8psi can be material.
Sponsored

MooseLips3700

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Idiot Savant
Country flag
Apologize but dumb question-
Do rear brake lights engage in OPD mode as MM3 decelerates to a stop?

I assume it’s like downshifting in manual transmission and the brake lights don’t engage, so sane with OPD mode brakes will NOT engage.

I absolutely luv IPD mode but might be something to think about with the amount of incompetent drivers on road these days not paying attention to what’s in front of them.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I assume it’s like downshifting in manual transmission and the brake lights don’t engage, so sane with OPD mode brakes will NOT engage.

I absolutely luv IPD mode but might be something to think about with the amount of incompetent drivers on road these days not paying attention to what’s in front of them.
Yes, if you decelerate significantly in 1pd it will light up the rear brake lights

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

As soon as you feel any slow down to the car, the lights come on. I was driving on a dark road the other day and watched my side mirror as I pressed and realeased the accelerator. I could see the brake lights reflecting on the road in the mirror. It was very reassuring how organic the brakes lights are in OPD.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
Unbridled and one-pedal set all of the time and calc average 283 full charge only have ~400 miles. Getting good!

Screenshot_20210410-073311.png

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Again, what the car reports as estimated range is just that - "estimated range". It's not an entirely meaningless number, but neither is it accurate because it is apparently intentionally conservative at temps less than 70 degrees or so.

What matters far more is your mi/kwh; that is an accurate record of your achieved efficiency. Multiplying that by 88 (extended range) or 68 (standard range) projects what your actual range would have been under those driving speeds and conditions.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Another tip...

Turn on Brake Coach in the settings. It won't actually change anything per se, but it will tell you whether you're braking gradually enough to have recovered 100% of deceleration as regen energy. It's basically a training tool.

Normal deceleration will recover 100%. You don't have to baby it to get 100%. But more aggressive slowing/stopping will fall below 100%. I get 100% in nearly all of my driving, just driving like I normally do. The times I get less than 100% are (sometimes) getting off the highway from doing 75 MPH, if the off-ramp is not real long; or if a light turns at the last second and I have to hit the brakes hard.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wonder if using more power to play the stereo at a higher volume, charging your phone, or keeping high beams/lights on could cut into range. Even the light screen mode could use more power than the dark screen theoretically.
I doubt those put any noticeable dent in range. Take the phone charger, for example. Not sure what it is in the MME, but a USB-C fast charger is typically 5V 3A (15W). 15W for an hour is 0.015 kWh. At roughly 3 miles/kWh, that's a loss of 0.045 miles of range (237 feet) in an hour of use. Insignificant.

Not sure about the radio or the headlights, but even if they use 20x more power than the phone charger, that would still only be like 1 mile loss per hour.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Another tip...

Turn on Brake Coach in the settings. It won't actually change anything per se, but it will tell you whether you're braking gradually enough to have recovered 100% of deceleration as regen energy. It's basically a training tool.

Normal deceleration will recover 100%. You don't have to baby it to get 100%. But more aggressive slowing/stopping will fall below 100%. I get 100% in nearly all of my driving, just driving like I normally do. The times I get less than 100% are (sometimes) getting off the highway from doing 75 MPH, if the off-ramp is not real long; or if a light turns at the last second and I have to hit the brakes hard.
But it should be noted the brake coach is only meaningful in “Engaged” driving mode without one-pedal driving. Brake coach doesn’t even show up in unbridled or whisper mode. And in engaged mode and one-pedal, it just shows 100% every time because OPD is designed to get you max regen.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1. Be in a warm climate. Warm batteries are so much better.
2. Use OPD. It gets you the maximum regeneration as long as you’re not hitting the brake pedal yourself.
3. Driving modes don’t really matter. Unbridled gives quicker throttle but also heavier braking. So it balances. Other modes balance themselves out too.
4.Don’t drive too fast. Just like regular ICE’s, faster means more drag and wind resistance. Therefore less efficiency.
5.stay off the freeway. Stopping and stop lights are good for your battery. Long sustained high speeds cause long continuous battery depletion.
Generally agree with all of that, except for #2 (and sort of #5). The brake pedal uses regen just as much as OPD. Only difference is sharp deceleration may also need to apply some disk braking to it. But if you don't decelerate sharply, it's 100% regen, just like OPD (except below ~3 MPH where both use disk brakes for the final stop). Turning on Brake Coach will help the driver monitor whether they're getting 100% regen or not.

I'd say #5 is just an extension of #4. It's all about speed. Stopping at stop lights is actually less efficient, because regen is not 100% energy efficient. The reason city driving is more efficient is because of the slower speeds vs highway driving, not the stop & go. So for example, these would be in order from most efficient to least:

1. Going 20 miles at a constant 45 MPH
2. Going 20 miles stop&go at a max of 45 MPH
3. Going 20 miles at a constant 75 MPH

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But it should be noted the brake coach is only meaningful in “Engaged” driving mode without one-pedal driving. Brake coach doesn’t even show up in unbridled or whisper mode. And in engaged mode and one-pedal, it just shows 100% every time because OPD is designed to get you max regen.
I didn't realize Brake Coach didn't show up in Whisper. That's weird. I wonder why that is? Doesn't seem to make sense.

It does make sense that it wouldn't come on in any of the high regen modes (1PD or Unbridled, and maybe L?), because routine braking doesn't use the brake pedal in those modes. But it seems like it should in Whisper (?).

tangme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e AWD, Ext range batt, F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I live in Chicago area and took a road trip to Saint Louis this past week. I only drove at the speed limit (70 MPH) and when they dropped to 65 and 60 and 55 as I got around St. Louis, I even obeyed that.....must to the dismay of everyone behind me..LOL..

I only averaged about 2.5 Miles/KW the entire trip. I started off 100% at the house, and had to charge 3 times and ended the trip with 30 miles left on it.. I have the ER 88KW battery and it was disappointing. And using Electrify America cost me double what an ICA would have cost me to drive back and forth....can't get my ford connectivity thing to work for the free KW.

Now today, I had to drive to downtown Chicago and I averaged 3.5 Miles/KW but my max speed was only 60 but 60 pretty much the entire trip..No traffic today. That would give me a range of over 300 miles. I would say speed is the biggest factor.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Also keep in mind that a score of 100% as reported by the brake coach represents the total amount of recoverable energy possible for that particular stopping event. That figure might be different when in 1PD vs having 1PD off.

In addition, when using 1PD and cruising at a steady 50 mph and you lift your foot completely off the accelerator and let the vehicle come to a complete stop....the amount of recovered energy might be less than if you ease off the accelerator much sooner so the duration of the braking event is increased. Both might give a score of 100% because that is what is possible to recover for that situation even though the amount of recovered energy is different.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also keep in mind that a score of 100% as reported by the brake coach represents the total amount of recoverable energy possible for that particular stopping event. That figure might be different when in 1PD vs having 1PD off.

In addition, when using 1PD and cruising at a steady 50 mph and you lift your foot completely off the accelerator and let the vehicle come to a complete stop....the amount of recovered energy might be less than if you ease off the accelerator much sooner so the duration of the braking event is increased. Both might give a score of 100% because that is what is possible to recover for that situation even though the amount of recovered energy is different.
I've wondered about that, but I had a slightly different guess. Agree with your "what's possible" point. Since regen is only effective down to something like 3 MPG (where disk brakes have to kick in the rest of the way to come to a complete stop), it's impossible for regen alone to capture 100% of all deceleration energy. So 100% must mean "out of what's possible".

But my guess is that 100% on the Brake Coach means it simply used 0% disk braking above that ~3 MPH point. So then the question is, does regen recover more or less energy slowing from 60-3 MPH in 10 seconds than it does 15 seconds? I was assuming it adds up to about the same either way (thus makes little difference, as long as disk brakes don't kick in).

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
Oh, wow. I came here wondering why I could not trigger or find the brake coach display. Been driving in unbridled exclusively.
Sponsored