Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
All Bolts were affected - it was a manufacturing defect. That's why every single one is recalled and they're spending almost $2 billion to replace every single one. As I said, we were lucky in that only a dozen or two manifested. Unless they do a teardown of every battery and confirm which ones had defects, you can't say the percentage was miniscule. In comparison what's the number you're using for the % of affected MMEs or is it based on forum self-reporting?

GM hedging their bets was the reason I left the brand. It was a potential fire hazard and they took their time releasing multiple "fixes" before the final fix. Meanwhile we're not even 2 years since the first MME rolled off the line, let alone the recall. So if you were so patient with GM, what's your rush/worry about Ford?

You say "Of course, no dealer is going to 'give' any sucker anything" but then why did you bring it up as a knock on Ford? I wasn't really worried about the Bolt but I was worried enough to get rid of it when I had the chance. I'm much less worried about the MME. Again, I'd rather wait for a tow truck than a fire truck.
And again, when I bought my 2020 Bolt GM was clear that only 2017-19 had issues, well clearly that was a lie. Although it all worked out, I made out very well on the swap and flipped that into a MachE
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nemy

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Although it all worked out, I made out very well on the swap and flipped that into a MachE
Same, I drove it for two years and got it repurchased for the same amount that I paid for it (after credits). So ultimately it worked out but the whole process/handling of the recall left me jaded - enough that I didn't place an order for a silverado even though it might come before a lightning and the pass through looks great.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
All Bolts were affected - it was a manufacturing defect. That's why every single one is recalled and they're spending almost $2 billion to replace every single one. As I said, we were lucky in that only a dozen or two manifested. Unless they do a teardown of every battery and confirm which ones had defects, you can't say the percentage was miniscule. In comparison what's the number you're using for the % of affected MMEs or is it based on forum self-reporting?

GM hedging their bets was the reason I left the brand. It was a potential fire hazard and they took their time releasing multiple "fixes" before the final fix. Meanwhile we're not even 2 years since the first MME rolled off the line, let alone the recall. So if you were so patient with GM, what's your rush/worry about Ford?

You say "Of course, no dealer is going to 'give' any sucker anything" but then why did you bring it up as a knock on Ford? I wasn't really worried about the Bolt but I was worried enough to get rid of it when I had the chance. I'm much less worried about the MME. Again, I'd rather wait for a tow truck than a fire truck.
The incorrectly assembled batteries were from the LG plant. Short run. No evidence that any other Bolt batteries were incorrectly assembled.
GM did due diligence. (which is not characteristic, historically, of GM)
19 Bolts were affected. Let's round it up to 20 fires, just for discussion. No deaths.
I think there were a few more Bolts than that sold (110,000 recalled. 20 affected translates to
~ .018%.) Perhaps I am incorrect.
GM acted out of an abundance of caution, to say the least, when recalling/replacing all Bolt batteries. The cost of replacement was partially covered in the purchase price (>$6,000 would be a good # for starters). And $1.9 paid by LG. It appears to be a good PR move by GM.
Wonder what they did with those removed batteries? Probably dumped them in the Columbia.
They would not recycle them? Or...

OP
OP
Nemy

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The incorrectly assembled batteries were from the LG plant. Short run. No evidence that any other Bolt batteries were incorrectly assembled.
19 Bolts were affected. Let's round it up to 20 fires, just for discussion. No deaths.
I think there were a few more Bolts than that sold (110,000 recalled. 20 affected translates to
GM acted out of an abundance of caution, to say the least, when recalling/replacing all Bolt batteries. The cost of replacement was partially covered in the purchase price (>$6,000 would be a good # for starters). And $1.9 paid by LG. It appears to be a good PR move by GM.
Wonder what they did with those removed batteries? Probably dumped them in the Columbia.
Your math may be correct but what about your underlying figures? LG was/is the supplier so yes it came from their plant. What do you have showing that it only came from a short run or that only 19 had the defect?! Without a teardown, it's just as possible that 100 or 100,000 had the defect that just never manifested. And either way, for two years and a half years nobody knew.

All in all, my point is still that there's no comparison to the Bolt recall unless you're going to compare them at the same point in time from onset to final recall. It's apples and oranges comparing them with the benefit of hindsight and two years apart. The only way it might make sense to you is, again, if you didn't live through it or forgot all the details.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Could this be a sign that a big recall will be announced in the near future? MY23 will be built soon. I can only hope that most of the potential problems have been addressed and ready for batches.
I think the probability of a big recall in the 'near future' is high. But, its timing won't be in any way related to this survey, the big recall might be for a Honda (or a Land Rover or a ...), and, there will be problems in your MY23 that won't be discovered or fixed until well after yours is produced.

👆 ... this is the nature of private car ownership.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The safe number for “how many cars should spontaneously combust,” should be zero.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Your math may be correct but what about your underlying figures? LG was/is the supplier so yes it came from their plant. What do you have showing that it only came from a short run or that only 19 had the defect?! Without a teardown, it's just as possible that 100 or 100,000 had the defect that just never manifested. And either way, for two years and a half years nobody knew.

All in all, my point is still that there's no comparison to the Bolt recall unless you're going to compare them at the same point in time from onset to final recall. It's apples and oranges comparing them with the benefit of hindsight and two years apart. The only way it might make sense to you is, again, if you didn't live through it or forgot all the details.
NObody knew? You do not really believe that. Of course GM knew.
Ford had a couple hundred thousand functional HVBJBs sitting around gathering dust, but chose not to replace the bad ones. Just wanted to torture owners.
Maybe I'll mosey down to the five and dime and see if I can get one there.
Or maybe the delay is due to there not being enough units available to supply the number of vehicles in the recall.
Neither GM or Ford is going to tell you anything but need to know.
Next up: all companies allow complete access to all of their internal documents to anyone and everyone.

OP
OP
Nemy

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's correct. Nobody knew - especially the owners. If you actually lived through it, us owners had no idea if we were affected or not and GM wasn't helpful at all.

If GM knew the severity of the situation, they should've issued a battery replacement right away. If they knew and delayed, it was to save money and/or get LG to pay for it. Either way, not a good look and not a good argument for you on how they handled the recall.

No I don't expect GM or Ford to release unnecessary data. But without the data your arguments are based on hypotheticals and diminishing with each post.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Ford had a couple hundred thousand functional HVBJBs sitting around gathering dust, but chose not to replace the bad ones. Just wanted to torture owners.
Maybe I'll mosey down to the five and dime and see if I can get one there.
Or maybe the delay is due to there not being enough units available to supply the number of vehicles in the recall.
Neither GM or Ford is going to tell you anything but need to know.
Next up: all companies allow complete access to all of their internal documents to anyone and everyone.
This reminds me of a specific formula from the wonderful movie: Fight Club

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I recently completed a Bolt equity swap with the wife's car. I handed them the key to our 2020 Bolt and they hand me the key to a 2023 EUV and a check for the difference in MSRP. It took a really long time, a ton of calls, and about 8 GM agents over the course of fifteen months, but we're happy with the final result.
Sponsored