Recommendation for MicroFiber cloth that won't scratch?

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
So you use it on the car one time, then never again? o_O
That’s correct! For example I loaded up on these @ $10. So about 42 cents per. Small price to pay to prevent scratching and swirls.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Whatever floats your boat. I have some Ceramic MicroFiber Towels for sale, only $5. per. ;)

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Whatever floats your boat. I have some Ceramic MicroFiber Towels for sale, only $5. per. ;)
Count me on team Costco towels. But, once I use them to apply ceramics of any sort, they go on to live a useful life on anything that isn’t paint or glass.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
I use a special detergent to wash microfiber towls......
It's called ragstoriches

SDMMEGT

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
Also a plug for Kirkland but the main thing is how you wash and how your dry the towels themselves. Use a free and clear soap (no dyes, scents, etc.) and wash on gentle cycle with hot water. Then when you dry do a tumble dry low heat and DO NOT USE A DRYER SHEET. Also be prepared to buy more than you would like if you’re trying to avoid scratches. 3-5 washes in the washing machine and you should recycle and buy new ones.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Those rough and scratchy yellow Kirkland microfiber towels?....I'd use those on my tires maybe or to clean my dogs!

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
NO HOT WATER for microfiber towel !
heat destroys the microfiber

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
NO HOT WATER for microfiber towel !
heat destroys the microfiber
Actually, I don't think that is accurate. While it is true that you want to avoid high heat when drying the towels, it is safe to use hot water to clean your towels. Griot's Garage, a manufacturer of good quality microfiber towels, actually recommends washing in hot water to maximize cleaning of the towels.

But you do want to dry the towels only on ultra-low temps in the dryer and avoid using dryer sheets or fabric softener.

For those interested, here is a link to a discussion on Autogeek about using hot water to wash microfiber towels:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...html?highlight=hot+water+safe+for+microfibers

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
ANY HEAT destroys the Mictofiber per The Rag Company !

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ANY HEAT destroys the Mictofiber per The Rag Company !
Here is a link to the instructions from the Rag Company. They suggest warm water and they say to avoid water temps above 140 degrees. So as long as your water heater is set at or below 140 degrees, washing your microfiber towels on hot should be ok.

https://theragcompany.com/pages/microfiber-care-instructions

Griot's Garage recommends washing in hot water. My guess is that very few residential washing machines will use water above 140 degrees.

Plus, the better the towels are cleaned, the fewer contaminants are left in the fibers of the towels, reducing the chances of scratching the paint.

Last edited:

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag

listen at 3:30.....microfiber melts at 140

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Washing in warm water will clean as well as you need and save energy. That way you don't have to worry about melting your cloths.

Problem solved.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

listen at 3:30.....microfiber melts at 140
That's Pan's opinion, which he is certainly entitled to, but what is his source? I think most professional detailers would agree that microfiber does not actually melt at 140 degrees. For example:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...er-start-melt-140f-my-dryers-low-setting.html

And here is an interesting, applicable quote from this discussion:

"
No, you don’t have to worry about a
measely 140°F melting/ruining the
micro fibers in your MF-towels...that’s
just propagation of an internet myth.

•There are 6 (six) “types/grades” of
polyamide, each having their own
melting point temperatures.
-“Type/Grade 12” has the lowest
melting point = ~350°F
-“Type/Grade 4,6” has the highest
melting point = ~563°F
"

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
Well that is autogeeks opinion and surely they would not be interested in their customers destroying their microfiber towels so they could sell more of them.
autogeek is a corporate big business ...... certainly they wouldn't fudge their data to ruin microfiber towels so they could sell more and increase their profits......
Say It Ain't So
Pan has nothing invested

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well that is autogeeks opinion and surely they would not be interested in their customers destroying their microfiber towels so they could sell more of them.
autogeek is a corporate big business ...... certainly they wouldn't fudge their data to ruin microfiber towels so they could sell more and increase their profits......
Say It Ain't So
Pan has nothing invested

Actually, the link I shared is from the forum of Autogeek customers (autogeekonline.net). The store Autogeek is a different site (autogeek.net). So the customers, many of whom are professional detailers, give very honest and unbiased reviews and info.

Pan, on the other hand and IMO, sometimes takes money to give "sponsored reviews". There was actually a controversy a few months ago where another Youtube detailer publicly shared emails between Pan and a product manufacturer negotiating his fee to produce a review of their product. So I personally think Pan is the one who may give biased reviews.

Back to the main point of my discussion, I think each person should experiment and find a microfiber care routine that works for them. For me, personally, I find that washing my towels in hot water with Rags To Riches detergent and then drying them on ultra low heat works really well for me. My towels are still as soft as the day I bought them.
Sponsored