Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Great example of where location matters. I contacted Shift, and they said "oh no, we don't deal outside our CA area".
Wow, I had no idea that Shift was only in CA.

Might explain why Carmax offered $9200, Driveway offered $9800, and Carvana offered $11,200.

Shift also offers $300 bonus if you drive to their inspection / buying location and sell it to them on the spot - which for me is worth it since it's in Whittier, CA (15 mile drive).
Sponsored

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I also used CARMAX, very painless as long as the car you're trading in is close to flawless and low low miles. I got two quotes from Vroom and CARMAX. CARMAX beat them by $6000 it was a no brainer! They even got me a ride home from Lyft. I can't complain at all!
This was my experience until 30 min ago. Carmax offered $5-6k more than the others. I just tried cars.com and they beat Carmax by $1.6k through a dealer 0.25 miles from my home. Iā€™ll be going next week to see if itā€™s a gimmick.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Wow, I had no idea that Shift was only in CA.

Might explain why Carmax offered $9200, Driveway offered $9800, and Carvana offered $11,200.

Shift also offers $300 bonus if you drive to their inspection / buying location and sell it to them on the spot - which for me is worth it since it's in Whittier, CA (15 mile drive).
Carmax "near" us won't provide an offer until they see the car, but since they are 2 hours away, that's never going to happen. I argued for an offer that was conditional, they refused. They have no SE Michigan location, which is absurd.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When getting estimates from these sites, they ask about modā€™s, are PPF and ceramic coating considered modā€™s? And do they help increase the resale value at all?
No, they don't take that into consideration at all, at least not CARMAX. That's a loss for you. A gain for them when they retail it.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
No, they don't take that into consideration at all, at least not CARMAX. That's a loss for you. A gain for them when they retail it.
The only way it may help is that your paint is flawless.

But at least with Carvana, they didnā€™t seem to care.

My wifeā€™s Flex was in ok condition. Large scrape on back bumper. Hole in front bumper where she hit a trailer hitch. All four wheels had curb rash.

The guy picking it up barely looked at it, said ā€œit looks like itā€™s in good shape,ā€ and handed us a check.

joely

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2022 MME Prem ER AWD DMG on order
Country flag
So, just a closing note on Driveway. Soon after closing by overnight mail, they paid my equity by direct deposit (days) and then Ford the difference (about a week). They assigned a local dealer as the pickup dealer. That dealer is so close (3 miles), I drove Louibluey over. I was going to walk home, but they insisted on giving me a ride home. So, it took just over a month, but overall, the experience was much better than Vroom or Carvana.

At one point during the month, I was about to try Carvana again, but accidently filled out the Driveway form again. The new offer was $1k+ higher! I called to "complain", but they said, yes no problem, the value has gone up, you can have the higher number! FE, 7,500 miles, $58,500, not bad, especially considering that I got to drive it for a year and half. Still shines like new, the local guy who does ceramic coatings is amazing! Overall, best car I have ever had the pleasure to own, thank you Ford! šŸ‘šŸŽ‰ (old guy, okay sorry, I guess I kind of understand the icons now :)

I'm moving on to try out an Ioniq 5 in the fall/winter, then might circle back in a year or two for a GTPE as my full retirement vehicle which I might keep for some years, not sure yet.
I started moving through the process with Driveway because they offered me an absurd amount for my Mazda. I corresponded with a rep, did the virtual inspection and sent the title/registration, and he said he was forwarding me to an Appointment Representative. Does that mean itā€™s all accepted? Just wait the weeks for the them to send the paperwork?

I ask because I naturally just months before getting rid of it whinged the side mirror backing into the garage and broke the housing. Itā€™s visible in the photos and I made a note in the comments section of the inspection site. Just wondering because Iā€™m afraid itā€™s going to come back as a markdown and hoping to use the Driveway offer as leverage at the dealer (Iā€™d much rather avoid the waiting process if I could).

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Got the best price from shift for my rx350 and RAV4. 1-3k more than all other online sites