David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
Does anyone know how the regen braking works? Are there paddles on the steering column or built into the brake pedal?
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Although there are user-controlled settings for how strong the regen braking is, the actual application is transparent to the user. You apply brakes (or just release the ā€œgasā€, depending on your settings) and software drives whether regen braking and/or traditional braking kicks in.
There isnā€™t a separate regen braking input (like paddles) needed.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
With the MME, the level of regen will be dependent the 3 drive modes. Whisper will have the lowest regen and be more of a cruisey feel, where as Unbridled will have the strongest regen. Itā€™s built into the accelerator pedal. As soon as you lift your foot off it, itā€™s starts to regenerate. Additionally, the brake pedal in the MME will also provide regeneration.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When driving in 1-pedal mode you don't even touch the brake pedal. The top X% of the accelerator becomes "brake" (like top 5% or maybe 1/2" of travel). When you lift your foot off the accelerator the car will automatically start regening (you can modulate this using the accelerator just like you would for acceleration). Its easier to simply drive and do than it is to explain in text LOL. Completely lifting your foot off the accelerator will bring the vehicle to a complete stop (Ford has stated that in this instance the car will automatically use its friction brakes below about 3mph and to hold the car in place).

My guess is that Ford will probably also offer the blended brake (since they are already doing this on their hybrids and the Focus Electric).

The blended brake seamlessly blends regen in with the friction brakes when you press the brake pedal. This means that regardless of how you drive you'll probably be taking advantage of regen...

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
You will rarely use your brakes once you get used to the one pedal driving. I love it personally. Our Chevy Bolt had excellent regen braking. Never had to hit the brakes unless someone pulled out in front of you unexpectedly. Our 2019 Leaf Plus...well, I would prefer it to regen a little more aggressively but Nissan did not feel that way......

OP
OP
Dkuhnke

Dkuhnke

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
Although there are user-controlled settings for how strong the regen braking is, the actual application is transparent to the user. You apply brakes (or just release the ā€œgasā€, depending on your settings) and software drives whether regen braking and/or traditional braking kicks in.
There isnā€™t a separate regen braking input (like paddles) needed.
Thank, folks. I'll just have to wait for delivery in the Fall.

Mach Dad

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Does anyone know how the regen braking works? Are there paddles on the steering column or built into the brake pedal?
I'm not sure how much detail you were looking for 'how does regen braking work', but I thought this video below was excellent. Even if this isnt what you were asking I'm sure others might be interested.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Additionally, the brake pedal in the MME will also provide regeneration.
Has this been verified, or just assumed? There's been a lot of misinformation provided by trolls on this subject here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen it verified anywhere.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
With the MME, the level of regen will be dependent the 3 drive modes. Whisper will have the lowest regen and be more of a cruisey feel, where as Unbridled will have the strongest regen. Itā€™s built into the accelerator pedal. As soon as you lift your foot off it, itā€™s starts to regenerate. Additionally, the brake pedal in the MME will also provide regeneration.
The above states how my Ford Escape Hybrid-Ford Cmax Energi and Toyota RAV4 Hybrid worked: lift your foot off the gas pedal and it regenerates, press/tap the brake pedal and regenerative braking occurs. Off course these vehicles were of the Patent Power Split design which is got to be similar to what the Mach E will do.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Has this been verified, or just assumed? There's been a lot of misinformation provided by trolls on this subject here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen it verified anywhere.
Ron Heiser, Chief Engineer on the Mach E said this in an interview... hopefully heā€™s not trolling us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nak

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I would hope, as Tesla does, the level of regen is not tied to a particular drive mode but is an entirely independent choice. Linking regen to a drive mode was the setup that existed in my wifeā€™s Honda Clarity PHEV. To get maximum regen you had to be in Sport mode. We wanted max regen but there were aspects of Sport mode we didnā€™t like (lower range among other things), so we never used it. Unfortunately the level of regen in the normal mode was so weak, you actually couldnā€™t feel it and thus one pedal driving wasnā€™t even a distant thought. :(

The much better approach is to allow the regen level to be an entirely independent selection. Iā€™m a bit concerned about this and if it is tied to a drive mode, how weak is regen in the normal mode?

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
I would hope, as Tesla does, the level of regen is not tied to a particular drive mode but is an entirely independent choice. Linking regen to a drive mode was the setup that existed in my wifeā€™s Honda Clarity PHEV. To get maximum regen you had to be in Sport mode. We wanted max regen but there were aspects of Sport mode we didnā€™t like (lower range among other things), so we never used it. Unfortunately the level of regen in the normal mode was so weak, you actually couldnā€™t feel it and thus one pedal driving wasnā€™t even a distant thought. :(

The much better approach is to allow the regen level to be an entirely independent selection. Iā€™m a bit concerned about this and if it is tied to a drive mode, how weak is regen in the normal mode?
From what I remember, he implied that youā€™re able to set one pedal driving yourself and tune the level of regen and additionally that the drive modes have their own level of regen settings... Whisper gives a sort of coasting feel to the drive and unbridled was the opposite with heavy regen and more aggressive tip in on acceleration... Iā€™ll try find it now... itā€™s quite an old interview, so might involve some scrolling. But I do definitely remember him saying you get regen via the brake peddle as well... which is great.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Ah, thanks! It does seem like the drive modes and tailored regen would be independent if I'm understanding him correctly. He does say the drive modes have their own level of regen, but it sounds like you're not tied to that for adjustment of regen if you so choose. Fingers crossed! :)
Yeah, fingers crossed indeed! Iā€™m also really hoping for some detailed drive mode customisation! If by ā€˜weā€™ he means the customer and not Ford, are able to tune the regen, then Iā€™m really hoping for more car tuning functionality for us to play with. I feel like Darren Palmer was hinting/teasing that itā€™s possible in this interview below... although he did say the car had 800bhp, so who knows, lol! But Iā€™m reeeeally hoping theyā€™ve got some neat tuning functionality up their sleeve for us. Check it out from 11min -
Sponsored