Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I was thinking exactly the same thing, what did he mean by 'we'.

Edit: Just watched that piece @11:00, and I like what seems to be his 'outside the box' thinking. :)
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Ah, thanks! It does seem like the drive modes and tailored regen would be independent if I'm understanding him correctly. He does say the drive modes have their own level of regen, but it sounds like you're not tied to that for adjustment of regen if you so choose. Fingers crossed! :)
At least based on outside reports, the drive mode does control the amount of regen BUT there's a separate setting for One Pedal driving that is selectable ON or OFF separately from the driving mode. However, it doesn't sound like there's an ability to really fine tune how much regen there is outside of drive mode selected, except to turn on/off one pedal driving.

Here's what the CNET article from last month stated (and he seems to agree with you):

"There's a driver-selectable One Pedal setting that operates independently of whatever Drive Experience is running. Both functions are accessed via the massive, portrait-oriented infotainment screen, and One Pedal is an absolute -- it's on or off, though the rate of deceleration actually varies depending on Drive Experience. For instance, maximum retardation comes in Unbridled, while Whisper (which is not an eco setting) offers the least. I'll have to try this for myself, but I'm tempted to say that I'd rather be able to select my amount of regen, as people's tastes for such things vary greatly. "

OP
OP
Dkuhnke

Dkuhnke

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered Mach e FE, but ETA is anyone's guess
Occupation
retired engineer
Country flag
Ah, thanks! It does seem like the drive modes and tailored regen would be independent if I'm understanding him correctly. He does say the drive modes have their own level of regen, but it sounds like you're not tied to that for adjustment of regen if you so choose. Fingers crossed! :)
Thanks. Interesting video. I'm an engineer too and appreciate the straightforward technical answers.

Now all I need to do is wait impatiently for production to start.

David

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
I like what seems to be his 'outside the box' thinking.
You’re probably right... feels like he was getting a bit carried away and excited. Although he’s definitely on to something! But I guess all we can do is dream for now!

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re probably right... feels like he was getting a bit carried away and excited. Although he’s definitely on to something! But I guess all we can do is dream for now!
Yeah, let's get the car first and then we can pick it apart...and if we don't pick it apart, I'm sure the guys over at the Tesla forum will be happy to do that. ;)

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
I don’t think any of us know the answer for sure... but we do know that Unbridled will have a very aggressive tip-in and very aggressive regen, which means you can get something similar to a kick down when you’re going into corners etc... which I think will be great. When they say this car will drive like a Mustang, I suspect it’s in unbridled mode. I think the drive modes relate more to driving style as opposed to speed and acceleration etc. Whisper seems to be designed more for highways cruising... I dunno. We shall find out in time!

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Unbridled does provide more aggressive power mapping and stiffer steering inputs. . . but it does also have the most aggressive regen by default. I suspect this is because, in aggressive driving, you're mostly either on the gas or brakes. There is no easy prolonged coasting as there is in Whisper mode (with minimum regen and "smoother" coasting).

By the way, here's a little more info from Kelley Blue Book, which again reflects you can engage higher regen in Whisper and Engaged modes with the "L" selector:

"In the Mach-E, when you need a bit more deceleration (say, for an upcoming red light), you can press the L button in the center of rotary shifter to engage low range and slow the electric Mustang SUV a bit more without touching the brake pedal. Low range, for the record, is available in all three drive modes, but it doesn’t provide any more regen braking than what’s already tuned into the Unbridled mode."

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK guys, it's time we called the 'gas' pedal what it's typically referred to in the EV community, the GO pedal. :)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
OK guys, it's time we called the 'gas' pedal what it's typically referred to in the EV community, the GO pedal. :)
Technical term for it is "accelerator pedal".

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
True dat, but in the EV world they love the term, 'go pedal'.
Its not used as often as you think--I've been in the "EV world" for 7 years now...

And just to be super technical, braking and turning the wheel are both acceleration as well. ?
Yes they are but the pedal is still called the accelerator--even in shop manuals.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its not used as often as you think--I've been in the "EV world" for 7 years now...

Yes they are but the pedal is still called the accelerator--even in shop manuals.
It’s sure used in the Tesla world.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Has this been verified, or just assumed? There's been a lot of misinformation provided by trolls on this subject here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen it verified anywhere.
It's been confirmed on multiple videos posted on the MachE Forum and elsewhere.
Sponsored

Reactions: Nak