TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Tire dealers offer a 'valet' service. When you swap from summer to winter tires, they'll store your summer tires for you. Discount Tire does this, Bell Tire does this, etc.

I pay $110 "per season" (summer & winter) to do this. This includes changing the wheels and storing them. BUT ... this is because I own a 2nd set of rims.

If you don't own an extra set of rims so they can leave the tires permanently mounted, there is a fee to un-mount and re-mount (and re-balance) the tires and I think it was $25/tire (it might have been $30).
Sponsored

ATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Trans Am, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
If you don't own an extra set of rims so they can leave the tires permanently mounted, there is a fee to un-mount and re-mount (and re-balance) the tires and I think it was $25/tire (it might have been $30).
Note to all...

Buy the 2nd set of wheels if you live in a climate where seasonal tire swaps are needed!

In addition to the convenience aspect, you'll eliminate the likelihood of damaging your tire beads from seasonal de-/re-mounting over several years. The cost of avoiding this plus the required balancing will result in a positive financial outcome, over time, as well.

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
The original P Zeros have a laughable treadlife, I’m almost done with mine at 7k. They don’t even excel in grip or noise according to tire tests compared with the Michelins, and they have a much higher glass transition temp (40F) unlike the PS4S which people do drive until around 20F no problem. They also have 0 treadlife warranty whatsoever where the Michelins do (with all the benefits above).

I wouldn’t mourn the loss of these nice looking but impractical tires.

Jack Roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Bought my GTPE in June. Came with the Pirelli summer tires. Tires have 4k miles on them. I live in Atlanta and could travel to TN during the winter months.

Do I *need* to replace these tires for winter or can I hold off until I get enough mileage on them. I hate "wasting" a set of tires; I live in a condo and can't store tires for later. Can I even sell them? Curious what other people have done in a similar situation.
I also live in Atlanta and held on to my summer tires to 7000 miles and may could have gotten a couple of thousand more but they were such a terrible tire I switched to an all season recommended for the Mach e. They are Mitchelln and I got them at the Costco on Barrett Parkway. They are so much better in every way.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Seriously, Tire Rack... they want you to buy winter tires and wheels. Of course they will say summer tires crack below 40 deg. F. Summer tires don't disintegrate below 40. I driven 15,000 winter miles on a set of P-Zeros. Aggressively on the back roads of Central Virgina. Lol, the OP will be perfectly fine driving from Atlanta to Tennessee in the winter (sans snow).
I don't think summer tires will crack, it's possible but would be an extreme case. The real issue is zero traction.

I like this guy's reviews and this one is all 4 categories tested in the winter.

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
I also live in Atlanta and held on to my summer tires to 7000 miles and may could have gotten a couple of thousand more but they were such a terrible tire I switched to an all season recommended for the Mach e. They are Mitchelln and I got them at the Costco on Barrett Parkway. They are so much better in every way.
Curious, what was the exact model Michelin tyres you purchased from Costco?
I often visit that same Costco...

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
...the more I think about it, it is somewhat frustrating and expensive, to purchase a MachE GTPE, and then soon after switch from summer tyres to all season tyres.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
...the more I think about it, it is somewhat frustrating and expensive, to purchase a MachE GTPE, and then soon after switch from summer tyres to all season tyres.
Currently, you can order the GTPE with all-season tires. This was a new option for 2023. The exception to this is the night pony package where you can only get the Pirelli summer tires.

Also, today was a good example of how necessary all-season tires are. It's 45 cold and rainy. The stock Pirelli summer tires are slick and slippery in these conditions.

Last edited:

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
For pre 2023 GTPE models there was no choice than to get the summer tires, but in 2023, they made it an option to get either the Pirelli tires or the Continentals that come on the GT (Non PE).
Sponsored