Rocking back and forth while parked + when stopped at an uphill, car rolls backwards -- Anyone Experience this?

Jessnyc

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Premium MME ER
Country flag
Hey,

So I noticed that when I park my car sometimes it rocks back and forth, and I am not sure why? This is inconsistent but consistent enough for me to notice, so idk if I am doing something to cause this or not, but anyone had this happen?

Also, noticed when I am an going uphill and need to stop, the car rolls backwards a little. I almost hit someone who walked behind my car while I was at a light, and it scared them a bit because they though i did it on purpose. Had to put my foot on the break to stop it because it scared me as well. I have auto-hold on and 1pd as well. Any suggestions on whats going on? Or anyone experience this as well?
Sponsored

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I've noticed when parking on a sloped driveway that it "bounces" off the parking pawl a few times which feels like rocking. I usually tap the brake to make it stop sooner. I think this may be a 2021 thing as I recall Ford's CE mentioning removing that part in one of Sandy Munro's videos.

Mach-E-Velli

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E, Premium AWDx
Country flag
I've noticed when parking on a sloped driveway that it "bounces" off the parking pawl a few times which feels like rocking. I usually tap the brake to make it stop sooner. I think this may be a 2021 thing as I recall Ford's CE mentioning removing that part in one of Sandy Munro's videos.
This happens in '22 models as well. My driveway has a slight slope and when I put the car in park it rocks. If it rocks hard enough the park brake will activate on its own. If I think about it or feel like it is going to happen, I turn on the parking brake myself.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Every time I stop in a hill auto hold works fine unless I have my foot on the go pedal. That is probably not what is happening to you, so I would get all the software modules updated to see if that helps.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My car is currently being diagnosed by dealer and Ford engineering for the car rolling backwards uphill when on auto hold in “D”. Sounds like your rocking issue could be related. Not sure I’ll get any info from them, but they did say they would call next week. If I learn anything I’ll try to respond here.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The car does roll backwards a little bit on hills with 1PD. The calibration wants to try to hold the car with the motors before engaging the brakes so it rolls a little on hills due to the delay. Usually the roll distance is a foot or less for me. Needs work.

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E E4X
Occupation
SWE
Country flag
I have experienced the rocking back and forth, now I end up turning on the parking brake before letting go of the brake. It is very annoying and I am afraid what if it rocks into another car/wall if parked too close.

homerj31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus ST, Select Mache on order
Country flag
My car is currently being diagnosed by dealer and Ford engineering for the car rolling backwards uphill when on auto hold in “D”. Sounds like your rocking issue could be related. Not sure I’ll get any info from them, but they did say they would call next week. If I learn anything I’ll try to respond here.
Please share your results, I have a similar problem. I also hear a thump when I accelerate off the rolling back.

OP
OP

Jessnyc

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Premium MME ER
Country flag
Please let us know what they say, hopefully we can get some answers because I feel like this can be dangerous/damaging to the vehicle if ppl walk behind the car (like what happened to me :mad:) or a car gets really close behind you while in these situations!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Wasn’t there a recent TSB regarding a software update for the rolling backwards issue?

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Ever since I started driving, common sense told me it can't be very good for the car and I've always engaged the parking brakes to avoid the car bouncing, especially when on a hill. If you don't want to use the parking brake for whatever reason, at least ease off the brake pedal to take up the slack before letting go.

Yes I realize that the MME is a bit quirky in that sometimes even when parked on flat surfaces it rolls back and forth a bit. And sometimes it applies the parking brake by itself with enough of a slope, but it's no consistent.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Ever since I started driving, common sense told me it can't be very good for the car and I've always engaged the parking brakes to avoid the car bouncing, especially when on a hill. If you don't want to use the parking brake for whatever reason, at least ease off the brake pedal to take up the slack before letting go.

Yes I realize that the MME is a bit quirky in that sometimes even when parked on flat surfaces it rolls back and forth a bit. And sometimes it applies the parking brake by itself with enough of a slope, but it's no consistent.
Whenever I park on a hill, driveway or any significant slope, the car always engages the parking brake every time. Mine seems very consistent.

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
Yeah - I have this as well. Every time I park, it rocks back and forth. Pretty annoying & weird.

Same thing when I'm stopped on a hill. Whenever I stop on any kind of hill and I put my foot on the break I hear a loud clunking noise. Anyone experience that?

Anyone have any luck with a fix?

Ill probably take my car in for the roof recall in the next month or so ( they should have done a bunch of them to figure it out correctly by now) so I'll have them look at this and also the IPC Buzz Noise!!! Hahaha

OP
OP

Jessnyc

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Premium MME ER
Country flag
Yeah - I have this as well. Every time I park, it rocks back and forth. Pretty annoying & weird.

Same thing when I'm stopped on a hill. Whenever I stop on any kind of hill and I put my foot on the break I hear a loud clunking noise. Anyone experience that?

Anyone have any luck with a fix?

Ill probably take my car in for the roof recall in the next month or so ( they should have done a bunch of them to figure it out correctly by now) so I'll have them look at this and also the IPC Buzz Noise!!! Hahaha
Hmm I do not recall hearing the loud clunking noise when on the hill and putting my foot on the brake, I can relook at my dashcam footage to see. Hopefully we get some info from Tannerk once their car has been looked at, but I do not know of a fix for this. But would love to get this addressed soon!

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Whenever I stop on any kind of hill and I put my foot on the break I hear a loud clunking noise. Anyone experience that?
Sometimes the break pad or NVH pad in the brakes separate from the pad assembly in hybrid and BEV due to using them infrequently. When that happens you can hear a clunk noise when going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. May be good to get your pads checked.
Sponsored