Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Only problem with aromatic deterrents is the aroma can enter the cabin.
When I last refreshed the peppermint oil I probably used too much. Even so, I barely smelled it for a day or two, then it was gone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The screen isn't a bad idea. I encourage you to use rodent-repellent bags and refresh the peppermint oil a few times a year. The ones I bought tie on so I just hang them under the upper beauty cover.

I also have an ultrasonic rodent repellent unit plugged into the outlet by the car.
Does the ultrasonic unit really work?

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've heard they get used to it but don't know myself.

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
we have no problems with mice but we have some martens

one isn't the problem but 2 of them and I go hunting with -as already mentioned above- an ultrasonic rodent repellent unit. Anyrhing else doesn't work

Yes ultrasonic works fine when the frequency chances over time. we use that unit for over 15 years now and had no visitors in the engine compartment ever since

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ellen I last refreshed the peppermint oil I probably used too much. Even so, I barely smelled it for a day or two, then it was gone.
If you can't smell it, it's probably not strong enough to act as a rodent deterrent. There is very little scientific evidence peppermint oil even works. Physical controls, bait, and traps are really the only proven and effective way of dealing with mice.

I've dealt with mice here before, I have a dozen traps around my house and a dozen traps inside my garage right now. I've also foamed up or covered any gaps or cracks around my house. They don't last very long before encountering a trap. As a result I haven't had any rodent damage in years.

Unclespike102

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Would you please post a picture of where the intake is? Or a better description?
Thank you!

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Bumping this thread now that I've trapped two mice and had the alarm go off again early this morning. Any pics or further descriptions for how to keep the mice from entering the vehicle?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Bumping this thread now that I've trapped two mice and had the alarm go off again early this morning. Any pics or further descriptions for how to keep the mice from entering the vehicle?
How big are the mice in Norcal to be setting off your alarm?

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
How big are the mice in Norcal to be setting off your alarm?
First mouse was big, maybe 2/3 the size of a Roku remote control. Second one was smaller, maybe the size of my thumb.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
This happened to our Tacoma a bit after we moved to our new place, which is just outside of the city proper. I mowed the weeds (and I just use the mowed stuff for mulch, don't remove it from the space). The next day a large mass of the clippings were missing from where I'd left them.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rodent proof the cabin air intake port PXL_20221011_160215664

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
3rd Mickey in 2 weeks in the trap in the trunk this morning. I'm pretty sure it's a mouse hatchery at this point.

OP
OP

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
This is to prevent rodents from entering the cabin, not to prevent from getting under the hood. I have not yet done this to my MME but have to two other cars, i.e. Prius and Fusion. Assuming same process with MME. First, remove wiper blade assembly. May need a special puller tool to safely remove - or a local auto shop may have the tool. Second, remove any other coverings/cowling to get to the air intake port. Third, cut 1/4" or less wire mesh fabric to cover the air intake port. Do not use window screen because it is so fine it could clog. Cut wide enough to attach to the metal wall using sheet metal screws. Fourth, mark drill points with the mesh in place then remove the mesh and drill pilot holes appropriate for the sheet metal screws. Fifth, hold mesh in place while screwing in sheet metal screws. Note: Allow sufficient depth to allow recirculation door to open and close. Don't want to prevent mice but not be able to prevent smoke/dust. :)
This process may seem intimidating if you are not mechanically inclined. Could always pay a local auto shop to do this.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
This is to prevent rodents from entering the cabin, not to prevent from getting under the hood. I have not yet done this to my MME but have to two other cars, i.e. Prius and Fusion. Assuming same process with MME. First, remove wiper blade assembly. May need a special puller tool to safely remove - or a local auto shop may have the tool. Second, remove any other coverings/cowling to get to the air intake port. Third, cut 1/4" or less wire mesh fabric to cover the air intake port. Do not use window screen because it is so fine it could clog. Cut wide enough to attach to the metal wall using sheet metal screws. Fourth, mark drill points with the mesh in place then remove the mesh and drill pilot holes appropriate for the sheet metal screws. Fifth, hold mesh in place while screwing in sheet metal screws. Note: Allow sufficient depth to allow recirculation door to open and close. Don't want to prevent mice but not be able to prevent smoke/dust. :)
This process may seem intimidating if you are not mechanically inclined. Could always pay a local auto shop to do this.
Thanks! I'm more than willing and able to tear into any car haha. I'll look into a tool to remove the wiper arm assy. I love buying specialized tools I will only use once.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Fat Mach

Threads