Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER 22 Plate in Dark Matter grey
Occupation
Sound Supervisor
Country flag
Hello again gang,

So what is the current preference for route planning software? I am aware of ZapMaps and PlugShare.

I’ve also recently stumbled across “ABRP” (A Better Route Planner) - which looks to do just the right thing. Bit put off of by the subs to get the car play bit to work - but if its worth it, I’m happy to stump up.

Of course, the internal car nav does its planning - is this actually he way forward to get the Blue Oval locations preferentially, and also so that the car preps itself as it arrives at a charging point by conditioning the batteries.

It seems a shame to not be able to run the native navigation (to get the conditioning benefits and in display instructions in the drivers main display) alongside CarPlay navigation for other benefits.

How do you all do it?

Cheers

Richard.
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Hello again gang,

So what is the current preference for route planning software? I am aware of ZapMaps and PlugShare.

I’ve also recently stumbled across “ABRP” (A Better Route Planner) - which looks to do just the right thing. Bit put off of by the subs to get the car play bit to work - but if its worth it, I’m happy to stump up.

Of course, the internal car nav does its planning - is this actually he way forward to get the Blue Oval locations preferentially, and also so that the car preps itself as it arrives at a charging point by conditioning the batteries.

It seems a shame to not be able to run the native navigation (to get the conditioning benefits and in display instructions in the drivers main display) alongside CarPlay navigation for other benefits.

How do you all do it?

Cheers

Richard.
I use Android Auto all the time in my car. It has a better map display (satellite picture), gives me uptodate traffic flow, is more accurate and gives directional support in drivers display. I have Zapmap subscription so I can access the app via AA to guide me to nearest chargers. I'm not convinced that the car is capable of preconditioning before arriving at a charge point anyway. The only preconditioning I know it will do is when you set departure times. In 2 1/2 years of ownership it has never been an issue with me. I am sure there will someone out there who will correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Hello again gang,

How do you all do it?

Cheers

Richard.
After multiple 1,000 mile trips with 4-5 charging stops per day, I’ve found a method that works great for me.

1. Pre-plan
Use A Better Route Planner to determine where to stop and establish your SOC goals for each stop. Use PlugShare to validate the chargers and find backup locations. Save a screenshot of the ABRP plan to your phone, noting the SOC estimates.

2. Save each charger location in the onboard navigation.
Examples: Save Electrify America stops as ‘EA’ and the city name. And ChargePoint as ‘CP’ and the city name. That way when you click on the “Where to” button on the nav and type ‘EA’ or ‘CP’, your list of saved chargers will be automatically sorted out for you.

3. On the day before the trip validate chargers are working in PlugShare. Adjust your plan if needed.

4. On the day of the trip. Check PlugShare again when you leave and at each stop. Then navigate to each charger one by one using the locations you saved in the onboard navigation.
Use your ABRP screenshots so you know what to charge to at each point. Adjust SOC goals if your consumption is too high or too low. I’ve found that only having one destination entered at a time will make the navigation system easier to deal with.

I also use this cheat sheet on the fly for my Premium 4X. Charge to the % in the middle and that's how far I can go during the summer temps at 75 or 70 MPH with a 15% or 10% buffer on arrival.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Route Planning Software 1690461988852

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hello again gang,

How do you all do it?

Cheers

Richard.
Yes, if you navigate to a charger with the Ford Navigation, it will precondition the battery starting at 30km from the charger. Note - while this has been confirmed in winter, I've seen no one prove that it does it in summer (i.e. cooling battery).

2. Save each charger location in the onboard navigation.
Examples: Save Electrify America stops as ‘EA’ and the city name. And ChargePoint as ‘CP’ and the city name. That way when you click on the “Where to” button on the nav and type ‘EA’ or ‘CP’, your list of saved chargers will be automatically sorted out for you.
Can you list the steps that you do to save a charging location, as a CHARGER?

I find when planning a route in ABRP that planning a stop in city X is easy. Forcing it to charge at that location, when it didn't pick that location to charge at, much more manual.

I also get frustrated that both ABRP and Ford's navigation will show a charging stop as "Walmart 637 Lexington". WHAT STATE? This one was Nebraska. Or Curry Parkway Chalios Mexican Restaurant.

Hartland

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e AWD Extended
Occupation
Civil Servent
Country flag
I have for the last 12months run the Ford software & TomTom in the UK & found it reliable on traffic & finding the charge stations. I now have my preference of Charging Stations but use Zapmap to check availability. ABRP is good for new journeys as I also have the Car Scanner software & plug that work with ABRP to update with SOC.
sounds complicated but very easy to switch between them on my Apple Car play

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
With all due respect to everyone who loves ABRP, I for one, hate it. I know, it's me and maybe just a learning curve. I have attempted to get help to get up to speed but no support responses.

I have used both the web version and the app version of ABRP, but it is difficult and confusing to save a trip on either one?! So I gave up. Saving and editing a trip on ABRP is a nightmare for me and NOT very intuitive.

I strictly use the Ford nav and occasionally augment it with Apple maps and other EV charger apps to help locate chargers.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Can you list the steps that you do to save a charging location, as a CHARGER?

I find when planning a route in ABRP that planning a stop in city X is easy. Forcing it to charge at that location, when it didn't pick that location to charge at, much more manual.

I also get frustrated that both ABRP and Ford's navigation will show a charging stop as "Walmart 637 Lexington". WHAT STATE? This one was Nebraska. Or Curry Parkway Chalios Mexican Restaurant.
Sure, here's an example of what I do a couple days before leaving on a road trip. Go to the onboard navigation.

1. Click on Where To
2. Click on the symbol at the far right end of the search bar (symbol looks like an arrow within a circle). This is the 'search near' menu.
3. Click on Another Location
4. Type in the city name and state code (example: Rapid City SD)
5. Click on the desired city
6. Click the green Select button to confirm the city
7. Click on Chargers in the menu list
8. Click on the lightning bolt with 3 dashes for fast chargers
9. Pick the desired charging Electrify America location from the list displayed
10. Click on the Star icon (to the left of the Go button) to save the location
11. Re-name the location as EA (city name). Save.

OR starting at step 7
7. Type in "Electrify" in the the search bar
Go to Steps 9-11

Click Where To and type in EA. Your list of saved chargers near you will be displayed.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny thing on Ford Navigation. Yesterday I say "Navigate to Grand Canyon". No results. I type in "Grand Canyon". No results. "Navigate to Zion National Park". No results. Type it in. No results. Gotta love it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Car was running, no issue with modem...

Deleted member 16048

I agree with those who suggest pre-planning their trips out. I do this as well, but not all the time do I think it's needed.

I use Apple Maps for my routing, then make sure on plug share that those stations are reliable. Then off I go. Now with iOS 17, I haven't had to worry too much about availability either since Apple Maps has live station availability.

Apple Maps has always been conservative so it will generally have to charge more often for shorter periods if it can. This is because Apple obsesses over experience and simplicity. I also prefer it since the UI is much better, and less of a learning curve than ABRP and others.

That's just how I do it.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
With all due respect to everyone who loves ABRP, I for one, hate it. I know, it's me and maybe just a learning curve. I have attempted to get help to get up to speed but no support responses.

I have used both the web version and the app version of ABRP, but it is difficult and confusing to save a trip on either one?! So I gave up. Saving and editing a trip on ABRP is a nightmare for me and NOT very intuitive.

I strictly use the Ford nav and occasionally augment it with Apple maps and other EV charger apps to help locate chargers.
I also am not impressed with ABRP, although I have tried it with 3 different EVs. I use the Ford nav and then use Plugshare to adjust if necessary, due to unreliable chargers. I did use Apple Maps with the integration on one leg of a trip, and it worked well, better than ABRP.

The biggest issue I have with ABRP is that on all 3 EVs I have tried it with, it is very inaccurate with respect to predicted range and charging times, always way too conservative.

OP
OP

Rjs104

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER 22 Plate in Dark Matter grey
Occupation
Sound Supervisor
Country flag
These are brilliant responses - thank you team.

I didn’t realise Apple Maps had EV chargers on it (and route planning accordingly) - I shall go have a play with this.

Thank you all.

Rx

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You're not alone. I find the user interface horrible. It's another case of complete lack of UX prioritization. I'm tech savvy and have difficulty with the app. In reading some other posters' methods for planning trips, it's obvious just how complicated it is to simply enter the starting and destination address and have it planned out, along with all the relevant availability info need.

I love the:
1. Open ABRP and do ABCDEFG
2. open plugshare and do...
3. Take a bunch of screenshots
4. Create a custom route using JavaScript, based on the screenshots
5. Link your nav to NASA
6. Etc etc ridiculously difficult! Lol

Schox

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 x 2022 MME LR/ER AWD
Country flag
Yes, if you navigate to a charger with the Ford Navigation, it will precondition the battery starting at 30km from the charger. Note - while this has been confirmed in winter, I've seen no one prove that it does it in summer (i.e. cooling battery).
I don't know for UK - but for the rest of europe this functionality is not rolled out in Ford Power Up yet.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Route Planning Software 1690532776877
Sponsored