Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
After reading this thread, I decided I should check over my own MME since I'm in the Midwest. I keep my baby garaged, clean and well maintained. I have 25k miles. I just noticed this below the rear passenger window trim.

20221102_130128.jpg

This is the best picture I could get. Looks like the paint is bubbling. Is this covered in the bumper to bumper warranty?
This would have to be under warranty. I would also guess that this would be under the category of "improper preparation" for the metal before priming/painting.

Unless this is an anomaly, this is a disaster for Ford IMO.

To fix this correctly, I would guess the whole car would need to be repainted.

It could also be the clear coat? In any case, I would guess this would not be an easy fix. From the pic below, when I placed the decals on my MME last week, I noticed that the panel fitment was quite poor as well. The front fender sticks out further than the door. I never noticed this w/o the stripes but now it sticks our like a sore thumb. I looked on all of my other cars in the garage and they were laser straight so to speak. The alignment along with the reports of bubbling/rust on this thread doesn't set well with me at all. :mad:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors Fender Alignment

If a body guy could reply to this thread, that would be great. 👍
Sponsored

Last edited:

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Just checked mine and zero bubbling or corrosion or rust stains visible.

Early 2021 build so has been through 2 years of heavy salting sanding and just general abuse. Part way thru a mild winter though already salt on roads can't imagine this being an issue for me.

Some of the old car ocean carriers had doors on some levels that have been known to leak in heavy storms. A few ships have gotten into trouble that way too. Wonder if this batch to EU had the bad luck to get salt water on them. Ocean water is way way more corrosive than road salt BTW.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
Just checked mine and zero bubbling or corrosion or rust stains visible.

Early 2021 build so has been through 2 years of heavy salting sanding and just general abuse. Part way thru a mild winter though already salt on roads can't imagine this being an issue for me.

Some of the old car ocean carriers had doors on some levels that have been known to leak in heavy storms. A few ships have gotten into trouble that way too. Wonder if this batch to EU had the bad luck to get salt water on them. Ocean water is way way more corrosive than road salt BTW.
That is what I originally thought, it could be a "bad" delivery to the EU via cargo ship. In an early post, there was a man from Indiana that had bubbling around the window sill. Also, if the salt was so bad in shipping, his rotors and other exposed metal parts would have been visibly "bad" when getting delivery of said car so I don't think it is that.

I think the more likely culprit now would be poor paint preparation i.e. rusting from the inside out so to speak. You are correct, even in the saltiest regions of the world, this shouldn't be showing up so soon.

Also, if the paint preparation was poor in some places then one could assume that the entire metal part of the car would be needing repainted (doors, A-Pillars etc.).

I am positive Ford knows this already and is contemplating how to remedy this. As a consumer, we need to be vigilant in watching out for this when/if it appears on our rides. I know Toyota had a problem with the frames on the Tacoma. If one didn't notice it in time, you were SOL for having Toyota pay for the rusted frame.

In any event, this thread should be highlighted with neon lights for all to see.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
you are welcome all welcome for the pron name:)

And no, I'm not the only one to have that corrosion at the doors. I know about 5 in Germany now. Out of 10 that checked and posted back in a Forum. Not yet hundreds, but after a year for all of these cars to much for me to believe this is a anomaly. I knew rust would be an issue some day with any Ford. Say 5 years+ I wouldn't be surprised. But a year after delivery? No answer from Ford yet. The dealer said it could take a month for a response.

So the History of my Mustang:
- Scratches at 4 windows, the rear bumper and the driver side mirror housing right after delivery
- Windshield replaced due to heater not working properly
- Glas roof sealing recalled
- Gearbox malfunction "repaired" by firmware flashing
- Front brake pad stuck to rotor (basically broke the pads)
- Recall (Software update) for the HV junction box

A few recalls more and I have driven any other Ford they offer over here while that thing is in the Garage. The dealer must love that thing as he can charge Ford for all of this. Fine for me. I'm not a big fan of the new market model they introduced with EVs.

Oh and I'm stuck on an old OTA Update as the car never installed updates over the air again afer one of the few early updates (I think 1.6 is where it stalled). I already informed my dealer about that. He said to make an appointment where they manually apply the updates.

Already looked at other simillar EVs:
- ID4/ID5: Ugly
- Skoda Enyaq: Not sure about it. Not really sporty. When I wanted to order there wasn't all option I wanted available.
- Ioniq 5: Not sure I like it or hate it. The interieur is a no no.
- EV6: Better then the Ioniq 5, but still not perfect. Seems to have it's own issues.
- BMW i4: Okaish.
- Polestar: Google Automative looks nice. Car looks nice. Too Chineese?
- Tesla Y: Nope. I do not like the interieur, not the car itself. Tech seems to be ok.
- Porsche Taycan: A bit to pricey. A huge bit actually.

So I still like the Mustang. Handling is fine. Both the car and all the tech. Price/Performance ratio is what makes it worth the Mustang badge to me. It rather rare over here. I like the controversy if it is a Mustang or not. I don't care too much. It is fun to drive, damn cheap to maintain, so far pretty stable in value (Could sell it for what I bought it right away with out any loss - Actually would make some Money on it as I could claim subsidary for it). It is just a bit too often back at the dealership for repairs. Wondering if this is Job 1 or Job 0.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
It is just a bit too often back at the dealership for repairs. Wondering if this is Job 1 or Job 0.
All early EV's have been this way for me. But my experience is if it can go wrong it will in the first 1-2 years then pretty much trouble free.

My Etron had early teething issues as well. My brake light failed, dad to replace a electric module, others reported moonroof leaks, motor failures due to bad coolant design, my motorized plug cover misbehaved, but last 2 years, touch wood, its been trouble free.

Thankfully all the issues so far are fixable. Which is not true of say the BMW I3 where a lack of filter in the cooling channel, same for battery and A/C would result in even the smallest debris trashing the entire vehicle and unlucky owner. So far mine has not failed but the stories keep coming.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
So I had my door checked at the dealer body shop this morning. He did scrape off the paint bubbles at the metal was clean/shiny underneath. This confirms this is not corrosion but poor surface prep before painting. It will be repaired in a few weeks.

1A52810B-6BA7-41FC-B82E-50F24641D0DE.jpeg

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
Let's see what I'll here back from Ford. But your post is a relief to read.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
So I had my door checked at the dealer body shop this morning. He did scrape off the paint bubbles at the metal was clean/shiny underneath. This confirms this is not corrosion but poor surface prep before painting. It will be repaired in a few weeks.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 1A52810B-6BA7-41FC-B82E-50F24641D0DE
The problem with this is that everything that was prepped poorly would need to be taken down to the metal and repainted.

Oh, and if you don't notice it, it will rust prematurely.

Whether the metal was shiny or not, it will be the same amount of work IMO.

Ford better hope this is a "bad batch".

We should collect the dates of manufacture of everyone that notices this. I would guess that this is on an exclusive run (I hope).

OP
OP
LF-X

LF-X

First Name
Lutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR TP2
Occupation
IT project manager
Country flag
Ordered: 1st of May 2021
Production Started: 10th May 2021
Left the Factory: 15th June 2021.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Once again, I can't stress this enough. The conditions in a Factory that build cars is totally in controlled settings.
Said by someone who definitely doesn’t work in an automotive factory 😜

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Back in the bad old days of British Leyland in the 1970's at Longbridge in the UK, the paint shop was in a seperate building so the bare steel body shells were transported a few hundred yards so if it was raining at the time you got some rust starting before painting. Rumour has it that the paint shop used to close down for lunch breaks and the workers ate their sandwiches in the paint room. Hmm crumbs and wet paint really go together. No robots then.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
Let me rephrase that, "It should be in a controlled setting".

Btw, I used to work in a Building Plant where they made steel buildings along with prison doors. The entire plant was quite unkept in comparison to the paint shop portion of the plant.

When I taught shop class at the High School, we used to take factory tours of Kawasaki along with some other fab shops. The paint department at Kawasaki was extremely clean and well controlled (and that was for four wheelers and jet ski's).

I have shown a host of videos like the one linked below when I taught Automotive classes at the HS.

But you are correct, whenever there are humans involved, there are bound to be flaws. The MME as shown on many examples here is the latest proof.

Once again, it would be nice to know where they f'd up and if it is still happening?

Last edited:

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Let me rephrase that, "It should be in a controlled setting".

Btw, I used to work in a Building Plant where they made steel buildings along with prison doors. The entire plant was quite unkept in comparison to the paint shop portion of the plant.

When I taught shop class at the High School, we used to take factory tours of Kawasaki along with some other fab shops. The paint department at Kawasaki was extremely clean and well controlled (and that was for four wheelers and jet ski's).

I have shown a host of videos like the one linked below when I taught Automotive classes at the HS.

But you are correct, whenever there are humans involved, there are bound to be flaws. The MME as shown on many examples here is the latest proof.

Once again, it would be nice to know where they f'd up and if it is still happening?
Then the dealer "valets" the car on delivery with resulting scratches and hologram marks. Dark colours especially.
Sponsored