Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I’ve checked my Gt 8 mo old there’s no rust the gt has huge rain gutters at the bottom of the doors A safe thing to do would be take a can of wd40 and using the long nozzle saturate the gutter. I’m surprised that the door isn’t aluminum
Sponsored

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
I’ve checked my Gt 8 mo old there’s no rust the gt has huge rain gutters at the bottom of the doors A safe thing to do would be take a can of wd40 and using the long nozzle saturate the gutter. I’m surprised that the door isn’t aluminum
I would guess that it is not aluminum because of safety standards through crash tests?

Just a guess but I was thinking the same thing.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Even though "it happens", I am quite nervous of the preparation of the rest of the car if this would be the case. A factory is a controlled situation that absolutely should not have this issue this soon. I have had close to a hundred cars in my lifetime and I have never seen rust this soon to someone's or my car.

Something had to have happened either in the shipping or the factory if multiple vehicles are showing this "rust". Now if someone were posting this with a car that is 5 years + with surface rust, I would understand this is possible for normal wear and tear.

Having issues with this on cars 2 years or under is not acceptable and even if the warranty covers this, this does not bode well for the car or it's value. If word gets out that this is a problem along with the electrical issues, we won't be able to give these away in a couple of years.
At some point that steel was stamped. Prior to getting a coat of sealing primer, it started to rust. At least that is my opinion. I doubt the rest of the car would have the same condition.

Ford had Mustang hoods made of aluminum that had corrosion under the paint and it took them close to 10 years to get it straightened out.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Use Fluid Film. It's thicker and will last longer.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would guess that it is not aluminum because of safety standards through crash tests?

Just a guess but I was thinking the same thing.
F150 doors are aluminum and they pass crash tests. But aluminum is expensive. They probably used steel because it's cheaper.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At some point that steel was stamped. Prior to getting a coat of sealing primer, it started to rust. At least that is my opinion. I doubt the rest of the car would have the same condition.

Ford had Mustang hoods made of aluminum that had corrosion under the paint and it took them close to 10 years to get it straightened out.
Mustang hoods had 2 problems. They weren't treated correctly before being painted and they had the squeeze-out problem I mentioned earlier. Paint doesn't stick to the adhesive as well as treated metal.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag

Once again, I can't stress this enough. The conditions in a Factory that build cars is totally in controlled settings. Ford (especially if they have had this problem in the past) should have known of all prior defects to assembly and painting a car and remedied them.

If your assessment is correct, then one can't assume that other things were not overlooked or cheapened to get these cars off to the consumer as fast as possible.

The quality control of Fords in general (as with most Domestic Brands) are far inferior to their counterparts in many instances. I had a Ford Focus and it may have quite possibly been the biggest piece of crap that I had owned. It is quite frustrating to see that Ford has not really changed their MO so to speak in producing "cheap" cars even when those cars aren't "cheap" to purchase.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Let's see what Ford suggests to do.

I'll spary some sort of sealing in the drain holes anyway when I get it back after repair.
Just be careful not to block the drain holes with whatever you use as a sealer and poke out the holes with something pliable but non scratch, perhaps a cable tie? If anyone thinks of anything better than please suggest it. :) Pehaps we should all be clearing the drain holes anyway just in case. 🤔

Bobcat17

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I'm wondering if this might actually be part of the issue. Maybe it has something to do with being transported across the ocean? Something something salty sea water
But how would seawater get on the car while being transported? I would think it would be stowed in a dry compartment.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Not even 10.000 miles on it. It was delivered in August 2021. Job 1. Relativly mild continental climate over here. Rainy in the winter, not too much frost.

I do not seem to be the only one over here to have this. Not seen that after one year on any other car ever.
Do not have that on mine. If there's corrosion bubbling up under there, it's a defect. But it'll only be covered by warranty if it "perforates" the metal.

I'd be irritated. But in the state it's in right now, it's a very easy fix. Grind/sand it down and then just protect it with some black primer and paint. Since it's on the inside of the door, you can stop it without making a visible change.

Sorry that you're experiencing this... definitely a one-off defect or something different with drainage on the european models perhaps?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Having issues with this on cars 2 years or under is not acceptable and even if the warranty covers this, this does not bode well for the car or it's value. If word gets out that this is a problem along with the electrical issues, we won't be able to give these away in a couple of years.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 1667398594943

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Once again, I can't stress this enough. The conditions in a Factory that build cars is totally in controlled settings. Ford (especially if they have had this problem in the past) should have known of all prior defects to assembly and painting a car and remedied them.

If your assessment is correct, then one can't assume that other things were not overlooked or cheapened to get these cars off to the consumer as fast as possible.

The quality control of Fords in general (as with most Domestic Brands) are far inferior to their counterparts in many instances. I had a Ford Focus and it may have quite possibly been the biggest piece of crap that I had owned. It is quite frustrating to see that Ford has not really changed their MO so to speak in producing "cheap" cars even when those cars aren't "cheap" to purchase.
Sure, but even in these "controlled settings", shit happens. Witness the windshield and glass roof recall - only affected a small number of cars before it was caught and remedied. Chalk that one up to human error. "Past performance is not indicative of future results" as they say in the mutual fund biz.

Given we have not seen, on this forum at least, a large number of East Coasters with MY21s complaining about the same issue leads me to think this is an anomaly. I hope :)

Quebec and Ontario essentially carpet bomb the roads with salt in the winter (Ontario uses 3 to 5 million tonnes per season, plus saline liquid) so if this was a big problem I'd assume it would have manifested itself by now in the "cold climate, east coast" Job 1 cars.

Again, every single post here is speculation, but it just doesn't seem like a pervasive issue.

I hope :)

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

...and Fusion aluminum hoods as well. Mine was one of the problematic ones.

BuckBaker

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT Cyber Orange, '86 Bronco, '83 280zx
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
But how would seawater get on the car while being transported? I would think it would be stowed in a dry compartment.
Not claiming to know, I don't work, nor have I ever worked on a cargo ship. I do have a friend who works on a cargo ship and he sent me some pics of the cargo hold with a fog inside it from moisture in the air, so take that for what it's worth.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
After reading this thread, I decided I should check over my own MME since I'm in the Midwest. I keep my baby garaged, clean and well maintained. I have 25k miles. I just noticed this below the rear passenger window trim.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rusty doors 20221102_130128

This is the best picture I could get. Looks like the paint is bubbling. Is this covered in the bumper to bumper warranty?
Sponsored