ronnkev

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6 Wind AWD (gave up on Ford)
Country flag
LHM Super Ford said they would not honor x-plan in August, so we placed our order with Ed Kenley Ford in Layton. They gave us all pricing in writing (x-plan), so hopefully no problems when the car finally arrives (we got a build date of Jan 17).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bulldog

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red MME Premium XR AWD, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
R&D
Country flag
Bringing up the old SLC thread while shopping around for a place to order a car, if anyone is interested. Here’s the current state of dealerships in SLC area. I sent contact information on the dealer sites to all the SL county dealers, plus Bountiful, Layton, Tooele, and Amer Fork. 17 texts, 6 calls, and 4 emails back the next day. All were asked if they would accept x-plan pricing and what markups to expect.

Ken Garff - said they do x-plan but only if you use their finance partners. I said we’re we’re going to pay cash and quoted the official policy on from Ford regarding the x-plan ("Purchase/lease financing may be obtained at the customer's discretion from any source.") to which they replied screw it. Basically deal with it, we can sell it for well over MSRP, so take it or leave it. I’m done with them. They certainly didn’t hear me.

LHM Draper - said they would accept x-plan. Asked for more detail regarding additional markups, fees, etc. to be sent in writing. Three days later, no response.

Tooele - yes to x-plan. Sales guy said their only extras would be delivery, tax/title, and $600 in doc fees. I replied the x-plan says there’s a max of $100 in doc fees. To which the sales guy replied “Uhh, yeah. $100.” It seemed they were the most willing todo the deal, but didn’t know all the ins and outs of x-plan. Too much of a cowtown?

LHM Super Ford - said They would do x-plan with no markups. No more detail in writing, yet.

Performance Bountiful -Only one response the whole time to 2 different emails to the contact page on the website. “we received your request for a service appointment and will be contacting you shortly to get that appointment scheduled.” Okay?

While waiting for those dealerships to respond, I’ll reach back out to AF and Layton.

Frustrating. I just have heard some horror stories about waiting 6 months for the car to be delivered, when suddenly there’s thousands of dollars more in markups to account for than expected and the buyer had to either pay them or start the process all over with another dealership. Any recommendations?
Thank you for the detailed work and report. Very interesting. I have never compared the local Ford dealers like that. All I can offer is that I have purchased 3 Ford vehicles, including my current Explorer and MME, from LHM Ford Draper. My experience has always been......I was going to say good.....but I guess I should say as good as a dealer experience can be. I mean it is still a dealer experience so it just doesn't feel quite right as soon as you step foot in the door. But everyone treated me well and was kind/nice/helpful. Always ended up sitting around too long waiting for them to do whatever kind of magic they think they are working behind the glass windows. But that is what it is and is expected at a dealer.

I have also had all my Ford vehicle service done at LHM Ford Draper and I keep going back because they haven't frustrated me enough to make me leave. So overall I will keep using them and would buy from them again.

The Tooele dealers generally sweeten the deal a bit because they know they have a limited local audience and want to attract buyers from the SLC valley to make the drive. The ATV/OHV stores in Tooele are the same way. I've heard good things about Tooele dealers so that may be worth the drive for you.

I tried a Ken Garff dealer once. Didn't buy from them. You are correct....they don't listen. False advertising all the way. When they have to tell you they listen, you know they don't listen.

Half the trick is getting a good sales persons to interact with. I know that is just basically the luck of the draw. And a good finance person. Again, luck of the draw. But I do like my finance contact at LHM Ford Draper (he was my sales person originally and then he transferred to the finance department so I have stayed in contact with him) and if you decide to purchase from them, I can give you his contact and you can tell him I referred you. I don't get anything out of it but if it can help you get treated better even a little bit, it is worth it.

Good luck. Overall, dealers are no fun. But right now they are almost a necessary evil in the car buying world if you want a new MME. Just remember, you will have the MME much longer than you will have to be at the dealer. So plug your nose, hold your breath, and dive in. Keep the end goal of driving the MME foremost in your mind and you will survive.

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
“The Scout Trooper” 2022 Premium Space White
Country flag
Thank you for the detailed work and report. Very interesting. I have never compared the local Ford dealers like that. All I can offer is that I have purchased 3 Ford vehicles, including my current Explorer and MME, from LHM Ford Draper. My experience has always been......I was going to say good.....but I guess I should say as good as a dealer experience can be. I mean it is still a dealer experience so it just doesn't feel quite right as soon as you step foot in the door. But everyone treated me well and was kind/nice/helpful. Always ended up sitting around too long waiting for them to do whatever kind of magic they think they are working behind the glass windows. But that is what it is and is expected at a dealer.

I have also had all my Ford vehicle service done at LHM Ford Draper and I keep going back because they haven't frustrated me enough to make me leave. So overall I will keep using them and would buy from them again.

The Tooele dealers generally sweeten the deal a bit because they know they have a limited local audience and want to attract buyers from the SLC valley to make the drive. The ATV/OHV stores in Tooele are the same way. I've heard good things about Tooele dealers so that may be worth the drive for you.

I tried a Ken Garff dealer once. Didn't buy from them. You are correct....they don't listen. False advertising all the way. When they have to tell you they listen, you know they don't listen.

Half the trick is getting a good sales persons to interact with. I know that is just basically the luck of the draw. And a good finance person. Again, luck of the draw. But I do like my finance contact at LHM Ford Draper (he was my sales person originally and then he transferred to the finance department so I have stayed in contact with him) and if you decide to purchase from them, I can give you his contact and you can tell him I referred you. I don't get anything out of it but if it can help you get treated better even a little bit, it is worth it.

Good luck. Overall, dealers are no fun. But right now they are almost a necessary evil in the car buying world if you want a new MME. Just remember, you will have the MME much longer than you will have to be at the dealer. So plug your nose, hold your breath, and dive in. Keep the end goal of driving the MME foremost in your mind and you will survive.
Thanks for the pep talk. I know I’ll eventually find a good dealership and hopefully a car, but it’s frustrating in the meantime.

The LHM Draper sales guy finally got back to me. $300 doc fee and required $500 anti-theft coverage. Ugh. Why do we still have to deal with these dealerships?

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ordered. The wife just said, “If you are spending $50,000 on a car, why are you worrying about the extra couple bucks that they all will stick you with?” 28 weeks to go, and you might see another MME on the roads in the south end of the valley.

Bulldog

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
R&D
Country flag
Ordered. The wife just said, “If you are spending $50,000 on a car, why are you worrying about the extra couple bucks that they all will stick you with?” 28 weeks to go, and you might see another MME on the roads in the south end of the valley.
Smart wife. I agree and empathize. It is totally frustrating. But you already know all that. Sometimes it just helps to put it in writing though. My experience when getting ripped off is that the pain dwindles with time and then the excitement of the purchase takes over. I hope that works in your case.

Also terrible that you have to wait so long. But again....eventually it will be in your garage.

What did you order? It will be great to see you on the road. Very excited for you.

Yes, they have their problems....all of them you have probably read about on this forum. But also as you have read about on this forum, they are a blast to drive. As long as you can be patient with Ford while they work through their failures, you will enjoy the ride. I too have experienced some of the issues discussed in this forum, but none of them have prevented me from driving the car. So I've just decided to deal with the Ford stupidity until they can get it right. I figure they will have to get it right sooner than later because there is a lot of competition in the EV world coming to market and if they don't step up, customers will talk with their wallet and purchase other brands. Until then, the MME is the simply the best on the market to drive right now at this price point in my opinion.

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We ordered a Space White AWD premium. While I’m not usually a fan of pure white cars (that’s what a company issue car is normally), we liked the light-gray and blueish tones you get in Space White. It seems like a great look. Love the contrast with the black accents and the roof, which you don’t see in the Black or Dark gray. I have a red 2014 Fusion and didn’t want the same color again. Kids really wanted orange or blue, but the wife was not having either of those…

Thinking of calling it something StormTrooper related. Or just “The Mid-life Crisis”.

Last edited:

Bulldog

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
R&D
Country flag
We ordered a Space White AWD premium. While I’m not usually a fan of white cars (that’s what a company issue car is normally), we liked the light-gray and blueish tones you get in Space White. Love the contrast with the black accents and the roof, which you don’t see in the Black or Dark gray. I have a red 2014 Fusion and didn’t want the same color again. Kids really wanted orange or blue, but the wife was not having either of those…

Thinking of calling it something StormTrooper related. Or just “The Mid-life Crisis”.
It will be beautiful and you will love it. I have a rapid red AWD Premium. From what I can tell, the color on the outside doesn't influence the drive. But that AWD Premium sure does and you made a great purchase. Can't wait to see you around.

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Assuming we get snow again, do you Utah MME drivers switch the all season tires to winter tires?

Bulldog

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
R&D
Country flag
Assuming we get snow again, do you Utah MME drivers switch the all season tires to winter tires?

I have not. I'm still on my stock tires. They work fine. I'm sure there is better performance and feel with other tires, but I have not had a need to spend that money yet.

SeanMc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME PremiumX4, '06 4Runner, '97 E-150, '86 944
Occupation
waste management consultant
Country flag
I have not. I'm still on my stock tires. They work fine. I'm sure there is better performance and feel with other tires, but I have not had a need to spend that money yet.
Same, still on stock tires and haven't had issues with the snow so far this year. During one of the early storms, I went over to the Walmart parking lot and did some donuts to get a feel for it in the snow, and it was solid. (my wife gave me the 'McKayla is not impressed' look)

We've also decided that it's our preferred ski vehicle over the old 4Runner due to the regen coming down the canyon. No roof rack, so it's a bit tight in the back seat for the boys when all 4 of us go; and we haven't yet used it to go up on a storm day. But it handles the slushy parking lots just fine. So if you see a red Premium in the lot at Alta, it might just be us.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks for the pep talk. I know I’ll eventually find a good dealership and hopefully a car, but it’s frustrating in the meantime.

The LHM Draper sales guy finally got back to me. $300 doc fee and required $500 anti-theft coverage. Ugh. Why do we still have to deal with these dealerships?
Since you're buying with X-Plan, they cannot charger more than $100 for doc fee.

I think your wife's logic is exactly why the car dealers do what they do. Can't disagree more with her opinion on it, but then again I'm not married to her... ;)

OP
OP
salt

salt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW x3
Country flag
Been seeing a lot of MMEs on the road lately! This is going to be fun.

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, who was driving the silver MME on Mountain View Corridor a couple days ago in the south end of the valley? I was coming home from work any they were behind me for a few miles. Every other car was rubber necking to check it out. I assume that will be common for the first couple of years…

azuano3654

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco, MME
Country flag
We ordered a Space White AWD premium. While I’m not usually a fan of pure white cars (that’s what a company issue car is normally), we liked the light-gray and blueish tones you get in Space White. It seems like a great look. Love the contrast with the black accents and the roof, which you don’t see in the Black or Dark gray. I have a red 2014 Fusion and didn’t want the same color again. Kids really wanted orange or blue, but the wife was not having either of those…

We took delivery of a Premium AWD Space White 2 weeks ago - so far it's been awesome. So easy to drive. BlueCruise is a little twitchy on I-15 and on regular roads but I'm hoping it's learning more from the roads I drive and how I'm centering the car. BlueCruise definitely seems to center the car to the passenger side of the lane.

For comparison we ordered our MME in late July so it was just about 6 months. We went through LHM Ford Draper and Xplan was honored but the doc fees were higher than what I think they were supposed to be but I don't think I was aware of the doc fee cap when we completed the purchase.

GibUtes

First Name
Gib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We took delivery of a Premium AWD Space White 2 weeks ago - so far it's been awesome. So easy to drive. BlueCruise is a little twitchy on I-15 and on regular roads but I'm hoping it's learning more from the roads I drive and how I'm centering the car. BlueCruise definitely seems to center the car to the passenger side of the lane.

For comparison we ordered our MME in late July so it was just about 6 months. We went through LHM Ford Draper and Xplan was honored but the doc fees were higher than what I think they were supposed to be but I don't think I was aware of the doc fee cap when we completed the purchase.
Sounds awesome! glad to hear you had a decent experience with LHM Draper (who was your sales person, financing person? I didn't really talk with anyone at the dealership, so I could use any recommendation). Where in the valley are you? 6 months is better than I expected, so I'll try not to get my hopes up TOO much for a summer-time MME. Once my shows up, we'll have twins!

Rocky Mountain Power's 2021 rebates on EVSE are long expired, but I haven't seen anything for 2022. Something is potentially "pending". Any one seen anything on a rebate for a EVSE in Utah?
Sponsored