"Seatbelts warning" message for an unoccupied seat

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
Has anyone else seen a “Seat belts warning” message illuminated after a rear seat passenger has left the vehicle? The error message remains on the display until the car is turned off and restarted.

To duplicate the condition:
  • Turn car on.
  • Passenger sits in one of the rear seats and fastens the seatbelt.
  • With the car still running, and the transmission in Park, the passenger unfastens the seat and leaves the vehicle.
  • The “Seat belts warning” message is displayed for the unoccupied seat.
The car is going to a new Ford dealer tomorrow for the windshield and panoramic glass recalls and the 21G01 Blue Cruise update. I will ask them for a diagnosis and will post an update here. The previous dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Thanks!

IMG_1529 A.jpg

IMG_1527 A.jpg

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, this is normal. Hit the OK button on the steering wheel to acknowledge the warning.

OP
OP
pottslaw

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. This is the first car I've ever seen that provided a warning message like this. It seems odd that it is warning about an unoccupied seat.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Hmm, I don't think it should do that. Sounds like an overly sensitive occupancy sensor in the seat. I've had it trigger with a big bag of groceries on the seat, but never when the seat was actually empty.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
When someone unbuckles, they are still in the seat, so the message is triggered. As already said, just hit okay. I would be worried if it came on when no one was sitting there, but it's triggered before the passenger leaves the car, so it makes perfect sense that it is triggered.

OP
OP
pottslaw

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When someone unbuckles, they are still in the seat, so the message is triggered. As already said, just hit okay. I would be worried if it came on when no one was sitting there, but it's triggered before the passenger leaves the car, so it makes perfect sense that it is triggered.
This is a perfectly logical explanation. Thanks!

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The issue is once the car thinks someone is back there, it alerts. There is a sensor in the seat that detects If someone is in the seats, but doesn't clear it once the sensor doesn't detect anyone.

I've had someone lean over and put their hand on the other back seat bottom, and it then alerts about no seatbelt for that seat until you power cycle the car.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
I’ve had someone lean over and put their hand on the other back seat bottom, and it then alerts about no seatbelt for that seat until you power cycle the car.
And again - just press OK and the warning goes away - you don’t need to power cycle the car. I thought this as well for the first month I owned my car - as everyday after dropping kids off at school; then one day I thought let’s just acknowledge this alert. And it did just clear it.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
And again - just press OK and the warning goes away - you don’t need to power cycle the car. I thought this as well for the first month I owned my car - as everyday after dropping kids off at school; then one day I thought let’s just acknowledge this alert. And it did just clear it.
I've had it come back if I make a few stops and go to park and back to drive. Pressing OK clears it but it can pop up again.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The issue is once the car thinks someone is back there, it alerts. There is a sensor in the seat that detects If someone is in the seats, but doesn't clear it once the sensor doesn't detect anyone.

I've had someone lean over and put their hand on the other back seat bottom, and it then alerts about no seatbelt for that seat until you power cycle the car.
Then there's something faulty with yours. I give people rides twice a week. When they exit the car, I get the warning. I press ok and drive (never turning the car off). The warning never comes back as I drive another 30 minutes to get home.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yeah, the OK to acknowledge is not an intuitive design for some reason. Once you figure it out it’s pretty obvious. I thought my seat sensor was messed up for a couple of weeks before the ok button dawned on me.

Mine stays off until someone does it again after hitting ok as well.