Self-parking issuing pointless warnings

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
I used the self-parking feature for the first time today, backing into a fairly tight side-by-side space. It worked flawlessly, but it scared the crap out of my passenger by issuing loud proximity warnings that escalated from slow beeping to the “you’re gonna die!” continuous tone as we got closer to the adjacent car.

What is the point of the car giving warnings about its own perfectly correct behavior? Is there, or should there be, a way of disabling the warning system when the car is in Active Park Assist mode?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It is park ASSIST, you are still expected to be in control, and stop the car if it is going to hit something.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where in the menu do you turn this on

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I used the self-parking feature for the first time today, backing into a fairly tight side-by-side space. It worked flawlessly, but it scared the crap out of my passenger by issuing loud proximity warnings that escalated from slow beeping to the “you’re gonna die!” continuous tone as we got closer to the adjacent car.

What is the point of the car giving warnings about its own perfectly correct behavior? Is there, or should there be, a way of disabling the warning system when the car is in Active Park Assist mode?
The warnings come from proximity sensors. All they are is telling you how close something is. It's not a prediction of your going to hit something. So even when parking perfect you may still be getting close to something.

Also helps to make sure you are aware of where the car is getting close in case it makes a mistake.

OP
OP

Tangible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Mach E
Country flag
@zhackwyatt , I understand what’s happening; I just don’t like it. I recently spent many hours at a family member’s hospital bedside, and was amazed at the number of devices emitting beeps and boops. While meant as alerts, they are actually desensitizers, effectively conditioning people to ignore them and then miss something they really need to know.

The MME suffers from this syndrome, with a dozen different sounds. In the case of self-parking, it should shut up unless something is going wrong with the process. IMO. The display on the dash is good enough.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
@zhackwyatt , I understand what’s happening; I just don’t like it. I recently spent many hours at a family member’s hospital bedside, and was amazed at the number of devices emitting beeps and boops. While meant as alerts, they are actually desensitizers, effectively conditioning people to ignore them and then miss something they really need to know.

The MME suffers from this syndrome, with a dozen different sounds. In the case of self-parking, it should shut up unless something is going wrong with the process. IMO. The display on the dash is good enough.
I think you say that until the car runs into a pipe or something. The point is, it may not always know something is going wrong. Hence why you have yo be alert.

Difference of opinion I guess.
Sponsored