Service Vehicle Soon Warning

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Hi all, I got the SVS warning early on in my ownership (got the car used in September 2023) of my 2021 Job 1 Premium RWD ER. I kind of freaked out and took it right to the dealer. When the dealer got to working on it, it no longer had any warnings and they took it for a few days to see if they could replicate it and they couldn't. They ended up seeing a few modules needed reprogramming so they did that and sent me along and told me to monitor it and let them know if it happens again. For a while, it never reappeared but I believe I can get it to consistently show up under certain circumstances.

After I drive home from work (which is 50 miles one way), if I turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes, then go back out to the car and restart it, it almost always pops up. I usually arrive home with about 40-45% SoC left. The SVS, Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power, High-Voltage Battery Warning all come up. Usually if I just plug the car in and charge overnight it goes away. I've found that it appears to be related to the P0B24 DTC. That one will always pop up when this happens and one time I cleared it and all warnings went away immediately.

I don't believe it's a HVBJB issue and plus I just got mine replaced about a month ago. I've suspected my 12V battery is having problems because sometimes a whole bunch of errors (Hill start assist warning, cross traffic alert, OPD fault, blind spot warning, service AdvanceTrac, and probably a few other I'm forgetting) will pop up. After a minute or 2 of driving, they'll usually all clear up. I started @Mach-Lee 's process of desulfating the battery this past weekend to see if that helps. I'm on day 3 and the current has dropped to about 50mA so I should be pretty close hopefully.

I also noticed my HVB SoH seems awfully low, at 89.5%. The car has 26k miles on it. Since I've gotten it, I've fast charged maybe 5 times. Most of the time the battery sits between 40-85% and I drive pretty conservatively. That being said, I have no clue how the previous owner drove it. Looking at the CarFax, it's a bit hard to follow but it seems like it was driven something like 18k miles in 7 months which is pretty high, so they could have been fast charging a lot and really pushing the car. I'm wondering if my battery pack is having issues which is throwing the P0B24 error and reporting a lower-than-I'd-expect HVB SoH.

Attached is what the error codes show on this most recent time it's happened, as well as my SoH reading (note the battery is at 10% SoC which is why cell voltages are lower). I must have a very early model to be at 3.5 year old HVB.
Looks like the HVB module variation is 80mV which really doesn't seem that high but maybe high enough to trip a threshold to throw that error, or maybe a bad module?

Any idea what could be going on?

Screenshot_20240225-065348.png

Screenshot_20240225-065230.png

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You have a P0B24 fault. Do not clear it, take it to the dealer. They should see the code and address it. If they do not you need to escalate it at the dealer and/or by calling the BEV team at Ford

OP
OP

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You have a P0B24 fault. Do not clear it, take it to the dealer. They should see the code and address it. If they do not you need to escalate it at the dealer and/or by calling the BEV team at Ford
What does P0B24 fault mean? Looking it up, it just says battery unstable. Just odd to me that it usually clears on its own after sitting for a bit. I thought it could have been related to the 12V battery being low and all the other module faults because it seemed to coincide with them but not sure anymore since I've been able to repeat it pretty reliably (while the others appear more random). Before, it only happened once a month or every other month - likely because that's the only times I went back out to my car and started it after getting home. Never has popped up while driving or any other circumstance.

I am waiting on a TCU and APIM replacement for my car (TCU is here and APIM arriving shortly), so when I bring it in for replacement I will ask them to look at / address this.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
P0B24 means there is a discrepancy in the voltage in at least one cell in the high voltage battery pack. It can set and go away as that cell varies voltage with the rest of the pack as it may not always be far enough away to set the fault.

The service manual is very clear on the procedure to follow if a vehicle has this fault code. That doesn't mean a dealer will actually follow it or that they won't clear it and then do nothing if it doesn't come right back

OP
OP

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
P0B24 means there is a discrepancy in the voltage in at least one cell in the high voltage battery pack. It can set and go away as that cell varies voltage with the rest of the pack as it may not always be far enough away to set the fault.

The service manual is very clear on the procedure to follow if a vehicle has this fault code. That doesn't mean a dealer will actually follow it or that they won't clear it and then do nothing if it doesn't come right back
Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense and maybe could be SoC dependent. It usually happens when the battery SoC is on the lower end so maybe I just have to repeat the fault and bring it in without charging to keep it active.

Yeah not too hopeful with my dealer, that's essentially what they did the first time. I took it in immediately upon receiving the error and by the time they got to look at the car a few hours later the fault was gone. They weren't able to get it to come back so they didn't even really look into it. Maybe this being the second time they'll actually look at it but I have a feeling they will do exactly what you said and clear the fault and it won't come back so they'll just ignore it. Since I'm bringing it in anyways, might as well give it a shot though.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yeah you need to make a case with the BEV team and take the car into the dealer. They will need to replace some cell modules in the big battery. It’s not the 12V battery. If they don’t cooperate, take it to a different dealer.

OP
OP

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah you need to make a case with the BEV team and take the car into the dealer. They will need to replace some cell modules in the big battery. It’s not the 12V battery. If they don’t cooperate, take it to a different dealer.
Do I make a case with the BEV team before taking it to the dealer? And how do I do that? I called the BEV team once before about a separate issue and they just told me "yeah you have a problem, take it to a dealer."

Originally I thought it may have been a 12V issue with the module that monitors/reports that error because it seemed to coincide with all those other random errors that are consistent with 12V battery issues. With the recent discovery about them being unrelated and I'm able to repeat the error pretty consistently, it seems unrelated.

I'm going to be taking it to a different dealer in the future once I get my TCU and APIM replaced by my current dealer. The parts are already on order (TCU is there) but that whole process has been a mess.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Do I make a case with the BEV team before taking it to the dealer? And how do I do that? I called the BEV team once before about a separate issue and they just told me "yeah you have a problem, take it to a dealer."

Originally I thought it may have been a 12V issue with the module that monitors/reports that error because it seemed to coincide with all those other random errors that are consistent with 12V battery issues. With the recent discovery about them being unrelated and I'm able to repeat the error pretty consistently, it seems unrelated.

I'm going to be taking it to a different dealer in the future once I get my TCU and APIM replaced by my current dealer. The parts are already on order (TCU is there) but that whole process has been a mess.
So you realize the car could die at any moment with an unstable cell? That's something that you should get into the dealer with some urgency. I would not be driving it with that problem.

You can call BEV before or right after you drop the car off. They should be willing to open a case for you.

OP
OP

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you realize the car could die at any moment with an unstable cell? That's something that you should get into the dealer with some urgency. I would not be driving it with that problem.

You can call BEV before or right after you drop the car off. They should be willing to open a case for you.
Yes, I realize that after being on this forum. My dealer didn't seem to be concerned when I took it in 3 or 4 months ago with this issue, so I was just following their instructions...
Hence why I'm going to be looking at a different dealer when they fix this issue as well as my TCU and APIM.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense and maybe could be SoC dependent. It usually happens when the battery SoC is on the lower end so maybe I just have to repeat the fault and bring it in without charging to keep it active.

Yeah not too hopeful with my dealer, that's essentially what they did the first time. I took it in immediately upon receiving the error and by the time they got to look at the car a few hours later the fault was gone. They weren't able to get it to come back so they didn't even really look into it. Maybe this being the second time they'll actually look at it but I have a feeling they will do exactly what you said and clear the fault and it won't come back so they'll just ignore it. Since I'm bringing it in anyways, might as well give it a shot though.
Any Ford dealership should be able to look at the DTC codes for your car regardless of where the car is located. So I suggest you call the service manager at whatever dealership you're using as soon as this happens. Tell them that this issue has been flagged by Ford as needing to be addressed urgently. Ask them to pull your codes while you're on the phone to confirm the problem. Don't take no for an answer. The BEV team can do the same. I'd ask both of them to do so.

Good luck.

OP
OP

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any Ford dealership should be able to look at the DTC codes for your car regardless of where the car is located. So I suggest you call the service manager at whatever dealership you're using as soon as this happens. Tell them that this issue has been flagged by Ford as needing to be addressed urgently. Ask them to pull your codes while you're on the phone to confirm the problem. Don't take no for an answer. The BEV team can do the same. I'd ask both of them to do so.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips! I'll call them tomorrow when they open.

OP
OP

PianoDan0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I called my dealer today to ask about the APIM and TCU and I asked them to check into the DTC errors. They looked into it and said there are a TON of DTC's for my car almost every time I start it, including communication faults between modules. My service advisor said he talked to some folks (not exactly sure who) and said replacing the modules should fix the errors - not sure I believe that, but I guess we'll find out. I am now on the schedule to get those modules replaced since the last part arrived today, so I guess we'll see.

The dealer was not concerned at all about the HVB having any issues with all the DTC errors that have been reported.

I still plan to call Ford BEV team to see what they say.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi all, I got the SVS warning early on in my ownership (got the car used in September 2023) of my 2021 Job 1 Premium RWD ER. I kind of freaked out and took it right to the dealer. When the dealer got to working on it, it no longer had any warnings and they took it for a few days to see if they could replicate it and they couldn't. They ended up seeing a few modules needed reprogramming so they did that and sent me along and told me to monitor it and let them know if it happens again. For a while, it never reappeared but I believe I can get it to consistently show up under certain circumstances.

After I drive home from work (which is 50 miles one way), if I turn the car off and let it sit for a few minutes, then go back out to the car and restart it, it almost always pops up. I usually arrive home with about 40-45% SoC left. The SVS, Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power, High-Voltage Battery Warning all come up. Usually if I just plug the car in and charge overnight it goes away. I've found that it appears to be related to the P0B24 DTC. That one will always pop up when this happens and one time I cleared it and all warnings went away immediately.

I don't believe it's a HVBJB issue and plus I just got mine replaced about a month ago. I've suspected my 12V battery is having problems because sometimes a whole bunch of errors (Hill start assist warning, cross traffic alert, OPD fault, blind spot warning, service AdvanceTrac, and probably a few other I'm forgetting) will pop up. After a minute or 2 of driving, they'll usually all clear up. I started @Mach-Lee 's process of desulfating the battery this past weekend to see if that helps. I'm on day 3 and the current has dropped to about 50mA so I should be pretty close hopefully.

I also noticed my HVB SoH seems awfully low, at 89.5%. The car has 26k miles on it. Since I've gotten it, I've fast charged maybe 5 times. Most of the time the battery sits between 40-85% and I drive pretty conservatively. That being said, I have no clue how the previous owner drove it. Looking at the CarFax, it's a bit hard to follow but it seems like it was driven something like 18k miles in 7 months which is pretty high, so they could have been fast charging a lot and really pushing the car. I'm wondering if my battery pack is having issues which is throwing the P0B24 error and reporting a lower-than-I'd-expect HVB SoH.

Attached is what the error codes show on this most recent time it's happened, as well as my SoH reading (note the battery is at 10% SoC which is why cell voltages are lower). I must have a very early model to be at 3.5 year old HVB.
Looks like the HVB module variation is 80mV which really doesn't seem that high but maybe high enough to trip a threshold to throw that error, or maybe a bad module?

Any idea what could be going on?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Service Vehicle Soon Warning Screenshot_20240225-065230

Ford Mustang Mach-E Service Vehicle Soon Warning Screenshot_20240225-065230
Good morning! If you'd like to, go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info and I’ll look into this concern further. Thanks!

Perrycuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Hello,

Sadly, for the second time, I have had a random Powertrain Fault indicator light activate on my dashboard. This time was right after using. public charging station in Denver. This is by all accounts a bad software glitch, not a mechanical issue. The software bug reduces acceleration power wich is most notable when passing or departing a stop at an intersection. The performance degradation is really frustrating.

I have ensured all updates are done and the indicator light persists. I drive extensively and taking it to a dealership for several days is not practical for me for such a simple fix. I see I am one of many who have this experience and that Ford has offered to check using the VIN. Is this something that I can also have done?
Sponsored