SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT error screen - Service Vehicle Soon!

Kitch MME GT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-learn.com
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, 2016 Audi Q3, 2019 GMC Canyon
Occupation
Retired - Technology Project Management/Evaluation
Country flag
Update: The dealership called and said my Mach E's GSM was failing and needed to be replaced. They are working hard to get one, not sure when they will. It's frustrating that such an important part would fail on a vehicle with less than 1,000 miles on it. I know it happens, but seems like its happening to too many of us. Common Ford - you can do better!

Does anyone know if there is a cause for this? A driving behavior that might be instigating this failure? Something I can do differently to avoid it failing again?
Final Update: My GT was in the shop a total of 3 days. They replaced the GSM (ordered the part on "emergency order" to get it as fast as possible). The dealership did all they could to get me a fixed car back for our trip. We left a day late, but all is going well. Hope the new GSM is an improved version of the original so I don't have this problem again.
Sponsored

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 21 MME GTPE, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
Just picked up my GTPE this morning. All it needed was the GSM flashed as was mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Glad to have it back with minimal time in the shop. I hope this is the end of the story.🤞 Now, time to break in the new Conti's I put on it.;)

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
My December 2021 built 500 miles just popped this as soon as I hit the start button it has been sitting in the garage plugged in for 7 days due to 30 inch's of snow I don't see many of you saying it will go away on its own?

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 21 MME GTPE, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
My December 2021 built 500 miles just popped this as soon as I hit the start button it has been sitting in the garage plugged in for 7 days due to 30 inch's of snow I don't see many of you saying it will go away on its own?
Nope it doesn't go away on it's own. You will either need the GSM flashed as described in the Technical Service Bulletin as I did, or replaced, as others have experienced in this thread. It took my dealer less than a day in the shop to do the flash and verify the repair. I dropped it off the night before and they called me around 3pm the next day to let me know it was ready. As I stated in my prior post, my Shift Fault Message occurred at 70 miles when I took it out a couple weeks ago after storing it for the winter after receiving it in October.

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
Nope it doesn't go away on it's own. You will either need the GSM flashed as described in the Technical Service Bulletin as I did, or replaced, as others have experienced in this thread. It took my dealer less than a day in the shop to do the flash and verify the repair. I dropped it off the night before and they called me around 3pm the next day to let me know it was ready. As I stated in my prior post, my Shift Fault Message occurred at 70 miles when I took it out a couple weeks ago after storing it for the winter after receiving it in October.
Ok thank you hopefully they can squeeze me in this week.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Good morning, Devin! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these error concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm making no claims this will work for everyone, or advising anyone to do this - but I had the Shift System fault this week. As others have said, neither Forscan or Carscanner clears the DTCs for this. I know there is a TSB, and of course that takes a dealer visit.

I found something else that cleared the fault for me, inspired by the service record posted by gregpdx (thank you for the post):

1. With car off, disconnect the GSM (The gear shift module panel pops off by pulling upward on that console piece, you have to study the GSM connector to see how to disengage it - it has one of those release/ejection handles on it)
2. With GSM disconnected, Turn the car on in driving mode (Foot on the brake and press start - it will complain with stop safely now and shift system fault)
3. Turn the car off
4. Reconnect the GSM.
5. Turn the car on in driving mode again, it still gives stop safely now (but no more shift fault),
6. Turn car off, open the driver's door and now wait for the headlights and instrument cluster LCD backlight to turn off (For me this was about 60 seconds).

When I turned the MME back on, all faults were cleared, including those reported on Fordpass. I've gone through several drive cycles since without any issues. Ultimately I know it will need the TSB to prevent recurrence. If nothing else maybe a temporary fix before a hot date; wrench icons and funky warning sounds can spoil the mood.

bbachrac

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium Nite Pony 2023
Occupation
NA
Country flag
I'm making no claims this will work for everyone, or advising anyone to do this - but I had the Shift System fault this week. As others have said, neither Forscan or Carscanner clears the DTCs for this. I know there is a TSB, and of course that takes a dealer visit.

I found something else that cleared the fault for me, inspired by the service record posted by gregpdx (thank you for the post):

1. With car off, disconnect the GSM (The gear shift module panel pops off by pulling upward on that console piece, you have to study the GSM connector to see how to disengage it - it has one of those release/ejection handles on it)
2. With GSM disconnected, Turn the car on in driving mode (Foot on the brake and press start - it will complain with stop safely now and shift system fault)
3. Turn the car off
4. Reconnect the GSM.
5. Turn the car on in driving mode again, it still gives stop safely now (but no more shift fault),
6. Turn car off, open the driver's door and now wait for the headlights and instrument cluster LCD backlight to turn off (For me this was about 60 seconds).

When I turned the MME back on, all faults were cleared, including those reported on Fordpass. I've gone through several drive cycles since without any issues. Ultimately I know it will need the TSB to prevent recurrence. If nothing else maybe a temporary fix before a hot date; wrench icons and funky warning sounds can spoil the mood.
I had this problem back in March. It took Ford Corporate 10 days to get the software update to the dealer to resolve the problem. There were many other software faults (covering multiple screen pages) in the system log accessible to the dealer which were also cleared. As far as I can tell, owners don't have direct access to these logs. None of these faults showed up in the screens accessible in the car. It is worth the dealer service check the fault logs periodically.
Sponsored