SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT error screen - Service Vehicle Soon!

macheavellian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

My car was built in October and was delivered in early December. Same issue, had the power train malfunction after a few weeks and <500 miles. There were issues with the 12v battery which the dealer replaced but the powertrain malfunctions returned. Now after about the fourth trip to the dealer they are replacing the gear shift module, ~4 day lead time for the part. Based on everything I have read that seems to be the culprit so fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

My car was built in October and was delivered in early December. Same issue, had the power train malfunction after a few weeks and <500 miles. There were issues with the 12v battery which the dealer replaced but the powertrain malfunctions returned. Now after about the fourth trip to the dealer they are replacing the gear shift module, ~4 day lead time for the part. Based on everything I have read that seems to be the culprit so fingers crossed.
Hi there! Send a private message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

RailBlazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
Got my car back today after the GSM replacement, a little faster than the 4-5 days quoted by service advisor. Made it home without a warning so hopeful that this resolves it and it lasts longer than the 700 miles of my first one. (Seems there is a low level part quality or design issue still to resolve.) Glad to see @Ford Motor Company trying to help out.

gregpdx

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-EX AWD
Country flag
Got in my car this evening at home, started it up and shifted to reverse and got this same rather disconcerting error. Car drives okay and is shifting to reverse and drive successfully. Seems like going into and out of Park triggers the alert/warning. I've owned the car for about 6 weeks, took delivery in mid January.

IMG_5420.jpg

macheavellian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I received my car back with a new GSM as well (car built in October/21). So far so good.

gregpdx

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-EX AWD
Country flag
Called the local dealer yesterday, dropped it off on the way to work this morning, was ready by noon. Below is the info from the service department. Not really sure how to decipher it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT error screen - Service Vehicle Soon! IMG_5451

EssJayKay

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I got this error on my Mach-E this AM. I also got an in App Alert of pre-collision assistance unavailable (could be an obstruction or a system error). Rain sensing wipers don't seem to sense rain and profiles don't automatically update when different PaaK user enters the car. I called the closest Ford location and they said maybe the end of next week they can get me in. Then they asked if I bough the car there. Either you can help me or not, it shouldn't matter where I bought the car, a Ford should be a Ford. The actually referred me to a different dealership. Business must be good to send people to your competitors.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I got this error on my Mach-E this AM. I also got an in App Alert of pre-collision assistance unavailable (could be an obstruction or a system error). Rain sensing wipers don't seem to sense rain and profiles don't automatically update when different PaaK user enters the car. I called the closest Ford location and they said maybe the end of next week they can get me in. Then they asked if I bough the car there. Either you can help me or not, it shouldn't matter where I bought the car, a Ford should be a Ford. The actually referred me to a different dealership. Business must be good to send people to your competitors.
Good morning! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into this error concern for you on my end. Thanks!

EssJayKay

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
UPDATE: Car was towed to the dealer Thursday. They did the windshield and started diagnosing issues later Friday. Work was completed about midday Tuesday.

Pros: Ford corporate was on top of this and communicative. That was appreciated.

Cons: Seems that this was resolved with dealer SW updates. Issue at least near me is that appointments are running weeks behind and if SW updates can only be done at a dealer this will be a bottleneck. Also, my car was seen quicker because it was towed in by Ford and even took over a day until a tech was available.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
This has just happened to me today. ER AWD.

The car drives fine, but whenever I turn it on, it chimes frantically and flashes up the same notice everyone else has been getting. The car was built in Feb 2021. It had less than 6000 miles on the clock and I’ve already had to have both front drive shafts replaced, the windshield recall, the roof adhesive and now this… all in under a year… wtaf?

Ford Mustang Mach-E SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT error screen - Service Vehicle Soon! 990D5651-6568-4BC6-BAE8-8138BC33DF03

Kitch MME GT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-learn.com
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, 2016 Audi Q3, 2019 GMC Canyon
Occupation
Retired - Technology Project Management/Evaluation
Country flag
Just this morning I got the same error message: "SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT, SERVICE REQUIRED - SERVICE VEHICLE SOON!"
I have a 2021 Mach E GT built on November 19th and delivered in early January 2022. It has about 900 miles.
Step one: as someone suggested, I will let it sit and check it again later today.
Step two: if message persists, I will take it straight to the dealership in the morning (no appointment obviously being Sunday, we'll see).
How it can be fixed with a SW update and I don't have to wait for a GSM.
We had a long distance trip planned starting on Wednesday. Now not sure we can take the Mach E.

Thank you all who have posted. Love the Forum. Lots of great information and I can learn from all your experiences.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I have an update for all of you on my end... after 14 days in service, Ford and my dealer authorized updating my software modules to the latest versions... but time will tell. So far so good.
Another update... the car failed again shortly after the software update. I waited 2 weeks for parts and install. They ended up replacing multiple computers including the one that controls the battery charging system. So far they car has started perfectly every time for the past two weeks. Unfortunately, I still have PTSD and every time that I press the start button I find myself making the assumption that my car will not start. I still don't trust that my car is reliable... it will probably take me a few more weeks of perfect starts.

Kitch MME GT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ev-learn.com
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, 2016 Audi Q3, 2019 GMC Canyon
Occupation
Retired - Technology Project Management/Evaluation
Country flag
Just this morning I got the same error message: "SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT, SERVICE REQUIRED - SERVICE VEHICLE SOON!"
I have a 2021 Mach E GT built on November 19th and delivered in early January 2022. It has about 900 miles.
Step one: as someone suggested, I will let it sit and check it again later today.
Step two: if message persists, I will take it straight to the dealership in the morning (no appointment obviously being Sunday, we'll see).
How it can be fixed with a SW update and I don't have to wait for a GSM.
We had a long distance trip planned starting on Wednesday. Now not sure we can take the Mach E.

Thank you all who have posted. Love the Forum. Lots of great information and I can learn from all your experiences.
Update: The dealership called and said my Mach E's GSM was failing and needed to be replaced. They are working hard to get one, not sure when they will. It's frustrating that such an important part would fail on a vehicle with less than 1,000 miles on it. I know it happens, but seems like its happening to too many of us. Common Ford - you can do better!

Does anyone know if there is a cause for this? A driving behavior that might be instigating this failure? Something I can do differently to avoid it failing again?

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 21 MME GTPE, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
My MME GTPE was built August 2021. Delivered October 2021. I drove it a couple times after but the weather here in NY was getting cold so with summer tires I garaged it at 70 miles and moved it in and out of the garage a couple times during the winter when it was warmer but no long trips. The weather is getting warmer here now finally so I decided that I would use some tax return to put some Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus on so that I can drive year round. I am tired of being jealous of my wife driving around in her MME FE while I am tooling around in our Pacifica Hybrid (love it for driving our kids and dogs around and on errands however so it's not the end of the world). I went to drive the GTPE out of the garage to go to the tire appointment and the error appeared. I drove it to get the new tires and back home, round trip 50 miles and the message never cleared. It seemed to drive fine, similar feeling to our MME FE anyway, and it shifted in and out of F/R no issue. Once I got home I called the dealer I bought it from and they can take it in this coming Tuesday, so back in the garage until Tuesday with 117.8 miles on it, which wasn't the plan. I was really looking forward to testing out the new "shoes". Really bummed out and a bit concerned about not only our MME FE now but the Lightning I have ordered which is scheduled to be built the second week in May. Ahhhh, the joys of beta testing...
Ford Mustang Mach-E SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT error screen - Service Vehicle Soon! ShiftSystemF
Sponsored