Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser, Lexus RX, Accord
Occupation
Pharmaceutical research
Country flag
Hello Everyone.
I am now pushed to consider EV. Mache E is my first choice.
I have a Lexus RX currently so my first choice was RXZ for quality but felt Lexus need more time to come up with proper EV. I chose Mustang for its range.
I almost decided to sell my Lexus and Accord but finding hard to part from them.

It’s hard for me to convince myself that EVs are going to be ok so I am Keeping my 3rd ICE car (Landcruiser 200).

Most of you might have gone through my situation already, so how is your experience. Specifically move to Mache E and Ford
Sponsored

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Hello Everyone.
I am now pushed to consider EV. Mache E is my first choice.
I have a Lexus RX currently so my first choice was RXZ for quality but felt Lexus need more time to come up with proper EV. I chose Mustang for its range.
I almost decided to sell my Lexus and Accord but finding hard to part from them.

It’s hard for me to convince myself that EVs are going to be ok so I am Keeping my 3rd ICE car (Landcruiser 200).

Most of you might have gone through my situation already, so how is your experience. Specifically move to Mache E and Ford
My last 8 years of driving and 85k miles have been EV. 3 different cars, I have added wiper fluid, replaced a 12v battery, rotated tires and replaced 1 set of tires.

The EV batteries and drivetrain are rock solid in my opinion.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
I’ve been driving an EV for the past 7 years and will not go back to ICE.
I have the MachE and a BMW i4.

I recently bought a 2000 Tacoma with 250K miles exclusively for towing my dirt bikes. I’ve driven it a total of 200 miles in the past 10 months I’ve had it.

Coffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Explorer, Busa
Country flag
I've had 36 cars and driven hundreds. I had a Ford Edge ST which is a phenomenal SUV - 335hp, 380 lb/ft with all the bells and whistles, I don't know why I was itching for a change but I tested an Audi Q5 hybrid which drive wise was perfect, you cannot tell the switch between EV and ICE, utterly amazed but the color was wrong and I don't know, maybe it was the price but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it.
The next day I tried a Mach-E, a standard range AWD so 266hp and 428 lb/ft. Driving it was meh until the salesman put it into Engage. Woah, instantly loved it... instant response and put a huge smile on my face.
3,000 miles later and it is a love hate relationship. Love the smoothness, the responsiveness, with a level 2 home charger I can go from 0 to 100% overnight. But I am hating the abysmal range in the cold (think 35F and below). If you want cabin heat (which you do... heated seats and steering wheel do NOT warm you enough in those temps) then highway range at keeping up with traffic speeds is under 100 miles! Yes, you could slow down (really! I don't want to compromise on driving).

No issues (other than cold weather range.. if that's an issue get an extended range version), looks good, goes well, nice interior, values have absolutely tanked in the last 6 months. I didn't know anything about EV's going into this so it's been a learning curve.

Recommended? Totally depends on your situation.

OP
OP

Raj

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pharmaceutical research
Country flag
8 years of driving and 85k miles
That’s a lot of miles and your experience does add confidence to ones like me. Thank you. UK is not a developed nation or as advanced as the US in terms of infrastructure but if the EVs are as good as or better than ICE, I can go for it and get over my hesitation

OP
OP

Raj

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pharmaceutical research
Country flag
go back to ICE
Thank you. Every reply is a step towards convincing myself.

If you want cabin heat
Thank you. I am looking at long range one only as I only do school drops n grocery runs but it’s 80-100 miles a day. For long journeys I will keep the other car.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I drove a hybrid for six years and switched to EV in the last 15 months. I sometimes wonder why it took me this long. The EV driving experience is far superior than ice or hybrid. Every time I get into a rental I get reminded of how terrible ice vehicles drive.

OP
OP

Raj

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pharmaceutical research
Country flag
If you don't need an EV,
Thank you. Personally I don’t need a EV as my current cars will go on for another few years but tempted or forced due to Govt tax benefits and policies. I am spending about 500-600£/month on 2 cars for fuel and maintenance and for same amount I am getting a used 2022 Mache E and tax advantages as well on that monthly expense

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Even with the problems the MME has, it still is more reliable than most ICE vehicles. Plus there is no routine services. I say go for it. most of the MME problems are really quirks that you can live with. There really isn't anything that will disable the car other the the HVBJB. And there's a recall now, so get that done and you should be good to go.

VaporTrails

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GTPE
Country flag
ICE sitting in driveway unused. Ethanol turning to injector-clogging gel. Gave the other ICE to the kids. Charging at home is a complete game-changer to me. Day-to-day local driving is a no-brainer. I think your stance on what you are willing to put up with on road trips defines your decision. I’ve taken several road trips with the MME. Even in the Southeast charging desert, I got where I wanted with options. BC 1.2 was solid enough that it made those trips fairly pleasant. Charging on road trips is different, but I plan for things to occupy my time. It will get worse on holidays, and I understand that to be the reality. I think the next three years, minimum, will get worse. I do NOT believe Tesla Supercharging is going to close this gap. Too many EV’s are entering the roads compared to infrastructure buildout. In 1911, you had to take your horse to the local general store to get alcohol to put in the tank. There were no gas stations. We are ahead of that with EV’s with 110V charging, but that is not a serious alternative when you are trying to get somewhere on a schedule.

Edit: I did not note the location until after posting, my apologies. I think you need early-movers to invest in infrastructure. I don’t agree that you need a 804 km range to make this happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raj

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use both and both have their advantages. For driving around town I almost exclusively use my Mach. After it gets -20F I go with my Expedition. If I haul more than 5 people I go with Expedition and when I haul bikes (normally more than one) I use the Expedition. I also chose to drive long distance in my Expedition because why make a 5 hour drive into a 7 to 8 hour drive. Just my preference and I may go for the long drive in my Mach next year if I am not hauling bikes. I do not think St. Peter is giving anyone brownie points for driving without an ICE and ICE only households are not going to burn in hell. I am not even sure they are the final answer if we can ever move to a hydrogen fuel system. I do think they work well and I have had zero issues with my 22 GT in 20 months of ownership.

Reactions: Raj

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Thank you. Every reply is a step towards convincing myself.

Thank you. I am looking at long range one only as I only do school drops n grocery runs but it’s 80-100 miles a day. For long journeys I will keep the other car.
Hello. Former loyal Toyota driver, newly reformed here. Yes, stay away from Toyota and Lexus EVs for now. I had a bZ4X, and don't anymore for a reason. I love my Mach-E, but if you're used to luxury cars, the Mach-E may be a bit bouncier and not quite as polished as you're used to. Of all the EVs I looked at available in the US (bZ4X, Model Y, ID.4, XC40, C40, Ioniq 5, EV 6, Polestar 2, Bolt EUV), I felt the Mach-E was best for me. It's big enough to haul my family of 4, plus our two dogs. It has one of the best ADAS systems for the price range. The infotainment is better than that of many other legacy automakers. Even though it's not the fastest charging car, it's faster than the bZ4X, and is capable of long trips if necessary (for me, at least, though maybe not for people with less patience). It's been out a few years, so the bugs and issues are more known than surprises, and the worst have theoretically been improved upon. You may have more options in the UK, and I don't know how good Ford dealerships are for service in the UK. If you can, go do a test drive. Bring the kids, put them in the back seat and find a bumpy road. If the ride and the feel of the car are good, I personally think the Mach-E is a good choice. If it's not luxury car enough, look at the Volvo XC40 (or C40 if you don't mind the tiny rear windshield).

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree with you. The quoted news source is clickbait, Hot Cars, of all things. But it’s a bit like defamation. People read the story and not the rest of it.
It's just such a hard thing to quantity, like what does reliability mean? And EVs are tough because basically all but the bolt are the most technologically advanced cars on the road, so yeah the new tech is unreliable, but the EV portion is usually fine.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree with the folks who equate us with the beginnings of the PC era in the 80s and early 90s.

I was part of that revolution, but couldn’t afford it back then. Today, I can afford to be stupid with my money.
Haha, I mean is it being stupid with money? My MachE has already saved me about $4k in fuel for the mileage, and has an extended warranty to 2030. So yeah it might end up in the shop awaiting a part, but otherwise I am not concerned.

I wasn't buying a computer in the 80s or early 90s, but yeah I agree, but even if we get amazing, cheap, solid state batteries next year, I would still rather be driving my MME in 2030 over a 2021 explorer.
Sponsored