Should I buy an L2 home charger, or just use the Ford one that comes with the car?

OP
OP
FirstPony

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
For the record, I ended up deciding to buy a charger. Wanted something capable of taking advantage of the capacity I have (50A / 240V) including for some future EV that could take on charge potentially faster. Got a Chargepoint HomeFlex. Not the cheapest unit available, but based on reading reviews and articles I liked it best. Installed it myself. Ready to go!

Thanks again everyone for the opinions and experiences. It is possible I didn't need to spend this money, but I plan to be in this house, with EVs, for the long term.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For the record, I ended up deciding to buy a charger. Wanted something capable of taking advantage of the capacity I have (50A / 240V) including for some future EV that could take on charge potentially faster. Got a Chargepoint HomeFlex. Not the cheapest unit available, but based on reading reviews and articles I liked it best. Installed it myself. Ready to go!

Thanks again everyone for the opinions and experiences. It is possible I didn't need to spend this money, but I plan to be in this house, with EVs, for the long term.
The EVSE itself is usually the cheaper part. Getting the circuit installed it usually the more expensive part. Although some people have their panel right in the garage for a short run, which helps. Or even a 240V outlet already there.

The 30% tax credit being restored now helps those costs. Mine was about $900 for the circuit install plus $400 for the Grizzl-E, but then 30% back on the tax credit.

OP
OP
FirstPony

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
The EVSE itself is usually the cheaper part. Getting the circuit installed it usually the more expensive part. Although some people have their panel right in the garage for a short run, which helps. Or even a 240V outlet already there.

The 30% tax credit being restored now helps those costs. Mine was about $900 for the circuit install plus $400 for the Grizzl-E, but then 30% back on the tax credit.
Yeah my wiring install and run was... very expensive. My circuit box is in the basement on the opposite side of the house from the garage, the garage is separated from the rest of the house with a brick and block wall (used to be exterior wall), plus my existing box was out of slots so I had a 2nd box/board installed too. Let's just say I am way, way over the 1k on the electrical work. The Chargepoint unit itself was I think $649, for the 50A NEMA 14-50 version, and that was indeed the much cheaper part.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I was lucky. The Nema 14-50 install was only $500. I claimed it on taxes last year, I got it installed prior to getting my car. Took the guy 2 hours to do.

In hindsight, I would have waited until this year, because my electric company started to completely cover the installation of a Nema 14-50 outlets in homes (up to $1500). But they did not start that until May 2022, the same month I got the Mach-E.

Rick65

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My local utility company has $125 rebates for ChargePoint and for JuiceBox home chargers. Also I can get an additional $40 credit per year if I enroll in a program where they can control the charger during peak demands if needed. Which one is better?
Sponsored