George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
Anybody find tiny red filaments scattered in front seating areas ? I can see them best on piano black areas. My guess is climate system. I don’t use AC much,but seems to show up afterwards. Grateful for any share of knowledge or experience. I’m going to check the cabin filter now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2GOfast54

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
no red filaments in cabin filter so must be coming from behind the filter. Closer inspection is 1ly at drivers side next to air vent. Been holding off on going to dealership for wind shield and other few minor adjustments but I don’t want to be breathing this stuff in,it looks &feels very fine.

D3306A62-4ADA-4367-AEFC-A6EE4D440E95.jpeg

3BFC6843-CD50-4373-B6E6-B5CAE0B1B583.jpeg

297E32C6-101B-4546-9169-932625A243E2.jpeg

400 VOLT

First Name
HALLNET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT PE
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
That's usually from an old micro fiber cloth....I have seen the same in green

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Put a piece of cheesecloth over the vent, see if it's blowing straight out of there (looks like it is based on the concentration on the back of the screen). Maybe they left a rag in the AC fan during construction.

Or Elmo. Could be either, really.

OP
OP
2GOfast54

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
Figured out where “little red filaments“ came from. I’m such a dummy sometimes but the filaments came from a worn Smart & Final shopping bag that I use to cover Mach e steering wheel. With the Sun and heat the bag was breaking down and did‘nt notice fiber’s shedding when putting on & off until, DUHH,little red fibers coming off bag. Well I’m feeling better about that now & not something I’ll have to c/o to Ford. So false alarm we can all breath a little better & now I use a new purple bag.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Figured out where “little red filaments“ came from. I’m such a dummy sometimes but the filaments came from a worn Smart & Final shopping bag that I use to cover Mach e steering wheel. With the Sun and heat the bag was breaking down and did‘nt notice fiber’s shedding when putting on & off until, DUHH,little red fibers coming off bag. Well I’m feeling better about that now & not something I’ll have to c/o to Ford. So false alarm we can all breath a little better & now I use a new purple bag.
I don't know of anyone who covers their steering wheel with a shopping bag, that's odd.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I don't know of anyone who covers their steering wheel with a shopping bag, that's odd.
I was thinking the same thing, but there's a logic to it. I've never seen it done or considered doing it, but it works for George, I guess.

"What are these purple filaments?" thread in 3...2...1...

;-)

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Why do you cover the steering wheel?

OP
OP
2GOfast54

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
Why do you cover the steering wheel?
F-en HOT during the summer here and had leather wrapped steering wheel in the past that didn’t do well so I cover the steering wheel when I have to park all day in the sun with wind shield shade on. I used to cover with microfiber cloth but bag was available one day so started using that. The purple one is fresh so I don’t expect to see any “tiny purple filaments” for awhile but when I do I’ll know it’s time to change bags.

OP
OP
2GOfast54

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
I just noticed that I see a lot of shade in those pictures of you guys. This is Cali (desert remember)shade is sometimes hard to find .

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
F-en HOT during the summer here and had leather wrapped steering wheel in the past that didn’t do well so I cover the steering wheel when I have to park all day in the sun with wind shield shade on. I used to cover with microfiber cloth but bag was available one day so started using that. The purple one is fresh so I don’t expect to see any “tiny purple filaments” for awhile but when I do I’ll know it’s time to change bags.
Another reason not to move to Cali. People put bags on their steering wheels and spread red pixie dust in their cars. If you spread the red pixie dust on the wheel, it will protect it from the sun!!

OP
OP
2GOfast54

2GOfast54

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME4 select space white
Occupation
PT
Country flag
Another reason not to move to Cali. People put bags on their steering wheels and spread red pixie dust in their cars. If you spread the red pixie dust on the wheel, it will protect it from the sun!!
Your partly wright,DONT COME TO CALI, but if you do please don’t stay,we’re better off without you. And you cowboys and cowgirls might try some pixie dust where and when you get chaffed. Sounds like it happens a lot.

Flint302

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
Probably something totally harmless--like asbestos.
Sponsored