Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I thought I'd start a new thread instead of continuing to take over someone else's.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/card-fob.8994/page-2#post-235640

Since PAAK has issues and I rarely take the FOB out of my pocket, I attempted to make a smaller key fob out of an aftermarket FOB bought off our favorite auction site. This FOB was fairly cheap and was easily programmed to my car (using my 2 existing FOBs). https://www.ebay.com/itm/384165438234

I then disassembled it and started designing a smaller case without the metal key or buttons. After 2 or 3 designs, I think I ended up with something that works fairly well and is still strong enough not to break in my pocket. I really didn't want to alter the PCB, but ended up pulling the center part of the buttons off because they would randomly set off my car alarm. They come right off, but it's a one way deal. Pulling them means this FOB is forever dedicated to proximity only. It was a trade off vs making the case another mm thicker.

I posted the files on Thingiverse if anyone else wants to give it a shot.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4958307

It ended up being about as wide as the OEM remote, shorter by the length of the metal key section and a little more than half as thick (12mm). It definitely feels smaller in the hand and pocket. There's a lot that could be done with this still...dual color, add designs or names to the outside, but at this point I'm tired of messing with it. I have a hobby 3D printer and had to print out the 2 halves separately and super glue them together. Someone with a high quality printer could possibly print it out in one piece.

Be careful inserting the board into the new housing. The board has several very small components on it and some are located near the edge. These are easily scraped off if you are not careful.

Fob2.jpg

FOB1.jpg

IMG_20210902_173641357.jpg

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Also stealthy, and I can make it color semi-matched, I have some "True Blue" filament for my infinite blue. Big thanks on that, Im gonna get a 3rd remote and try desoldering and making even smaller.,

CaptHal

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKT, 2021 Mach e Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When I went to that eBay link it said it would not work with the 21 Mach e. Would you please verify it did work?
Thanks

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I should give this a shot seeing as you can find those remotes on eBay for about $27 shipped now…

OP
OP
New2EV

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When I went to that eBay link it said it would not work with the 21 Mach e. Would you please verify it did work?
Thanks
It worked perfect for me. The ID numbers in the description section of the listing should match ID numbers printed on top of your existing FOB after you remove the metal key.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
You can make it even thinner by using shrink tube instead of a case.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You can make it even thinner by using shrink tube instead of a case.
Yes, but I think you'd have to desolder the buttons first so they aren't accidentally pressed.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
We get regular small Ford keys in the UK, and all us Brits are doing is whining because they're "not Mustang" keys.

This validates my feeling that the slimline Ford keys are more practical than the clunky Mach-E ones. ?

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
We get regular small Ford keys in the UK, and all us Brits are doing is whining because they're "not Mustang" keys.

This validates my feeling that the slimline Ford keys are more practical than the clunky Mach-E ones. ?
Show us a pic of your FOB

OP
OP
New2EV

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes, but I think you'd have to desolder the buttons first so they aren't accidentally pressed.
You don't have to desolder the buttons to disable them. Use a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull on the center rubber part of the button. It comes right off and makes the button unusable.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
How do you program it with two existing fobs?