Smart EVSE charge scheduling

Maxwells4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select RWD + CTP, IBSM
Country flag
My electric utility has an incentive program that can shift EV charging to times of high renewable availability and/or low demand. It works with several makes of EV (but not Ford) and Chargepoint EVSEs. Given that both "smart" EVSEs and the cars themselves can schedule charging, it made me wonder whether/how well it works to let the EVSE rather than the MME decide when to charge. Does anyone have experience with this? Can you put charge scheduling under the control of the EVSE rather than the car? How does it interact with features like preconditioning/prewarming? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
My electric utility has an incentive program that can shift EV charging to times of high renewable availability and/or low demand. It works with several makes of EV (but not Ford) and Chargepoint EVSEs. Given that both "smart" EVSEs and the cars themselves can schedule charging, it made me wonder whether/how well it works to let the EVSE rather than the MME decide when to charge. Does anyone have experience with this? Can you put charge scheduling under the control of the EVSE rather than the car? How does it interact with features like preconditioning/prewarming? Thanks for any advice.
Youā€™ll get messages on the Ford app saying the car isnā€™t charging every time you plug inā€¦that was the one and only straw that made me cancel that in a hurry šŸ¤£. Plus we donā€™t get any kind of deal like that with the city of College Station.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If the car is set to charge when p,urged in, the EVSE can control the charging.

I have my car set to offā€peak hours and my EVSE set to them. So, if the car hiccups, or wants to warm the battery during peak hours, it cannot.

Also, I am in a utility program where, form2 hours at a time, they can issue a stop charge event or a must charge event. They ignore the fact that it is peak hours for must charge events, so while they control the car with Ford, they cannot override my EVSE.
Sponsored