Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JK and a WKII both gone :-( Now 23 MMEP Sta
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
I'm using the Ford portable EVSE and I see the charge data from the Ford app but i'm wondering what kind of data will I get from a smart EVSE? Would you mind sharing a few screen shots of the data you get from your smart EVSE? I like having data on how things are working.
Sponsored

GatorGrowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-e Premium ER RWD
Country flag
I have the ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired. You put in your model of vehicle and what electric company you have and which rate plan. It returns how much power you used, how many miles, and how much it added to your electric bill.
If you have peak/off-peak pricing, it will automatically schedule charging at the lowest rate times.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What data do you get from a smart EVSE? IMG_1234

Ford Mustang Mach-E What data do you get from a smart EVSE? IMG_1235

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I'm using the Ford portable EVSE and I see the charge data from the Ford app but i'm wondering what kind of data will I get from a smart EVSE? Would you mind sharing a few screen shots of the data you get from your smart EVSE? I like having data on how things are working.
You’re asking the wrong question.
Instead of “What data will I get?”
Think about “What can I use the data for?”

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
You’re asking the wrong question.
Instead of “What data will I get?”
Think about “What can I use the data for?”
That is correct! what can I use the data for? well I would like to see how my electric bill is affected since buying the EV will it justify the cost to get solar. I created a excel sheet to crunch some numbers for me but I would like an automated system to do it for me and most importantly to keep a historical record of the usage. Here is the sheet I created. My provider (Duke Energy) has three separate charges, they charge per kWh then for fuel cost and asset fee.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What data do you get from a smart EVSE? EV sheet.JPG

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
I have the ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired. You put in your model of vehicle and what electric company you have and which rate plan. It returns how much power you used, how many miles, and how much it added to your electric bill.
If you have peak/off-peak pricing, it will automatically schedule charging at the lowest rate times.

thanks for the screen shots. I'm guessing most smart EVSV provide similar data to what you posted? I'm guessing like everything else some provide more than others i'm still using the ford mobile and as far replacing the unit of energy I consume on a daily its working I would like to have more usage and cost information without me having to do it manually. thanks again for sharing the screen shots.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The biggest difference between the data from the smart EVSE and your current situation is knowing the actual electricity used. Besides the fact that the Ford app a) may not capture the session and b) doesn't show the electricity received unless you look while the car is still plugged in (it shows percentages otherwise and you have to do the math, which is inexact), is that the intelligent EVSE shows the electricity you sent from your house (and paid for), whereas the Ford app is showing the electricity received. There is a 7 to 15% loss from the house to your car.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
ChargePoint allows me to download a spreadsheet of all charging events on my account, including their public DCFC and Level 2 EVSEs.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What data do you get from a smart EVSE? Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 08.46.18

Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retiref
Country flag
All my life I have dealt with data, so I can understand why you would like to have more. Accuracy is important.
For example: When I drove for Uber I input to a spreadsheet all my daily trips, milage, expenses, paid, tips, etc.
I then transfered the data to a monthly spread sheet, and finally a total spreadsheet.
This was very useful for "paid per Mile", "expense per mile", and quite easy to input to TurboTax at tax time......no guessing here.
Now I have an EV with a nice Grizzl-E charger that gives me close to 37 miles of charge per hour. How do I know this? the Fordpass shows it.
Today I say, why do I need any more data than that?
I know I have to charge the car.
I know electricity is cheaper than gas.
I don't think PS&G will cheat me.
So, why do I need any more data?

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
All my life I have dealt with data, so I can understand why you would like to have more. Accuracy is important.
For example: When I drove for Uber I input to a spreadsheet all my daily trips, milage, expenses, paid, tips, etc.
I then transfered the data to a monthly spread sheet, and finally a total spreadsheet.
This was very useful for "paid per Mile", "expense per mile", and quite easy to input to TurboTax at tax time......no guessing here.
Now I have an EV with a nice Grizzl-E charger that gives me close to 37 miles of charge per hour. How do I know this? the Fordpass shows it.
Art the way I would reply to your post is simple. its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Would you agree? You have already gathered all the data you needed so you no longer need it. I just got my new EV last week and I'm still in the gathering phase, in a year I may no longer need the data or I might need more if something was to change. If the data I gather now could or could not justify the installation of Solar and if I get the solar then I will have to start all over again gathering data.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Miles is a meaningless measure.

Cost per mile is nice to know.

Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retiref
Country flag
Miles is a meaningless measure.

Cost per mile is nice to know.
That was an example of what I did driving for Uber.
The point was I needed that data then but I don't see the need for it now,

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
It has been a journey for me. First figuring out best plan with SDGE, convincing them to change it (they did not want to), then optimizing car to charge at the cheapest time (midnight to 6 AM on weeknights). CP app shows when car acutally charges and cost. I charge nightly now even though I only need about 20% per night. Also I am on community power so I had to ensure their rates were better than SDGE.

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
It has been a journey for me. First figuring out best plan with SDGE, convincing them to change it (they did not want to), then optimizing car to charge at the cheapest time (midnight to 6 AM on weeknights). CP app shows when car acutally charges and cost. I charge nightly now even though I only need about 20% per night. Also I am on community power so I had to ensure their rates were better than SDGE.
Who is SDGE? I'm with Duke energy and they offer two different times I have it set from midnight to 5am. With Duke when you sign up with as a electric car owner they give you a $10 monthly credit if you charge off hours.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Who is SDGE? I'm with Duke energy and they offer two different times I have it set from midnight to 5am. With Duke when you sign up with as a electric car owner they give you a $10 monthly credit if you charge off hours.
San Diego Gas and Electric. Highest rates in the nation until recently!

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
San Diego Gas and Electric. Highest rates in the nation until recently!
Oh yeah I have heard how high the cost are. Have you thought about adding solar? I guess the higher the fees the faster the pay off will be.
Sponsored