TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
No one is saying it is, nor does it have to be to be used on surface streets.
I watched his video. When he was slowing the car in front turned right, the light was red and his MME accelerated. That indicates the ACC/IACC saw the car move from in front and initiated the acceleration even tho he was approaching a red light. He then hit the brakes to stop and the faults ensued.

Did his braking during ACC/IACC acceleration cause the faults ?‍♂

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I watched his video. When he was slowing the car in front turned right, the light was red and his MME accelerated. That indicates the ACC/IACC saw the car move from in front and initiated the acceleration even tho he was approaching a red light. He then hit the brakes to stop and the faults ensued.

Did his braking during ACC/IACC acceleration cause the faults ?‍♂
It doesn't matter whether it did or it didn't, because it shouldn't. Using the brake pedal to disengage ACC is normal functionality on every car on the planet.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
It doesn't matter whether it did or it didn't, because it shouldn't. Using the brake pedal to disengage ACC is normal functionality on every car on the planet.
That's very true. Was he actively braking or using the cruise to brake for him? He said he hit the brakes as it accelerated. Anyway, just my observation. Don't want to argue, I wasn't there

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Was he actively braking or using the cruise to brake for him?
Are you saying in one of those scenarios the car should stop working? Because otherwise I'm not sure what your point is.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
I quickly hit it off and then bam. Car comes to an abrupt stop.
when you say you quickly hit it off, did you use the brake pedal or the ACC button?

In addition to either of the above, do you have one pedal driving enabled when not using ACC?

I agree that the issue should never happen, I’m just trying to determine the steps the car went through to get into such a crappy state.

like, it went to disable ACC and immediately started trying to one pedal stop after it was just thinking it should be accelerating and hit some fault loop… or if you killed it with the physical brake… which I would think it’d understand better.

OP
OP

Rdonlon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
POP @FORD
Country flag
when you say you quickly hit it off, did you use the brake pedal or the ACC button?

In addition to either of the above, do you have one pedal driving enabled when not using ACC?

I agree that the issue should never happen, I’m just trying to determine the steps the car went through to get into such a crappy state.

like, it went to disable ACC and immediately started trying to one pedal stop after it was just thinking it should be accelerating and hit some fault loop… or if you killed it with the physical brake… which I would think it’d understand better.
Hit the CC button if I remember correctly. And I use 1 pedal so I would have applied the brake as soon as I did that.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hit the CC button if I remember correctly. And I use 1 pedal so I would have applied the brake as soon as I did that.
so you hit the brake or you use 1 petal so “it”would have applied the brake?

In any case, glad you’re ok, it definitely should not happen… Ford needs to fix whatever it is if they haven’t already.

OP
OP

Rdonlon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
POP @FORD
Country flag
so you hit the brake or you use 1 petal so “it”would have applied the brake?

In any case, glad you’re ok, it definitely should not happen… Ford needs to fix whatever it is if they haven’t already.
I use one pedal. I don't think I touched the brake pedal at all. I try to not use it as much as possible.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Are you saying in one of those scenarios the car should stop working? Because otherwise I'm not sure what your point is.
I'm saying that would explain why the car accelerated, that's all. The car did not/can not see the red light.

It does not explain why his car failed. I see them as 2 separate issues

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There are 2 things that happened:
  1. The cruise control saw the car in front turn right, so it did what it is designed to do and tried to accelerate to the set speed. As the driver, OP had to take his foot off the accelerator and/or hit the brake to initiate the stop. All of this is to be expected and within both the design and operating parameters. I often use CC to set my speed on surface streets to make sure I don't accidentally get lead footed near a speed trap. I also hit the brake or CC cancel button when I am coming up to a red light.
  2. The car malfunctioned and went into a "safe" mode, preferring not to move

#1 is the driver's responsibility and not unexpected, unusual, nor should it have ever lead to #2. #2 is a problem with the car's firmware.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use one pedal. I don't think I touched the brake pedal at all. I try to not use it as much as possible.
was your car “Built On Or Before 11-May-2021”

that is the TSB pre requisite that Mach-Lee posted:

TSB 21-2171 strikes again!
If your vehicle wasn’t built before then I’m willing to bet Ford engineers need to take a look at how the vehicle transitions into one pedal driving mode when leaving ACC.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Watching the video I'd say he hit the break quickly and jerked the car to a stop (which is the right thing to do given the circumstances). But... Maybe that hit a race condition in the ACC control loop where before it registered that he disabled ACC it saw a standstill and fired off some errors... Just a guess, but that's where my mind goes on this. Would be fun to try to reproduce...

Reactions: TRP

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Then turning off the CC would bring the car to a stop, but maybe not in time for the crosswalk. If you stepped on the brake, the fact that the car died means it suffered a malfunction.

I can't see anything done here that wouldn't have been tested for and/or encountered by some of us here.