adamsd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I have a '22 Premium Extended Range eAWD that I received in early June. It is currently running Sync version 22179 Revision 478 with powerup 3.3.1.

Since I have had the vehicle I have never had the option to turn on automatic updates or schedule updates. Those options are not on the screen within the settings menu. In the settings menu along the left edge I have an option called "Software Updates". When that is selected, the right portion of the screen offers me details on the previous update only. There are no other options on that screen.

I have contacted my dealer and Ford Sync support, and they tell me my settings menu should say "System Updates", not "Software Updates". Within that "System Updates" menu I should see options for automatic updates and schedule update.

Before I take the vehicle to the dealer to let them attempt to resolve this, I am curious if anyone else has a similar experience in their vehicle? Is this just a newer Sync update that has not made its way to the dealerships or documentation yet?
Sponsored

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
it's the icon under "vehicle hotspot"? and yours says software updates?

that really is weird, indeed given how new your car and software is my guess is it's just the latest version and somehow this is different...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have a '22 Premium Extended Range eAWD that I received in early June. It is currently running Sync version 22179 Revision 478 with powerup 3.3.1.

Since I have had the vehicle I have never had the option to turn on automatic updates or schedule updates. Those options are not on the screen within the settings menu. In the settings menu along the left edge I have an option called "Software Updates". When that is selected, the right portion of the screen offers me details on the previous update only. There are no other options on that screen.

I have contacted my dealer and Ford Sync support, and they tell me my settings menu should say "System Updates", not "Software Updates". Within that "System Updates" menu I should see options for automatic updates and schedule update.

Before I take the vehicle to the dealer to let them attempt to resolve this, I am curious if anyone else has a similar experience in their vehicle? Is this just a newer Sync update that has not made its way to the dealerships or documentation yet?
First, you need to separate things.

Sync is separate from the updates that the car gets for the various modules. So Sync being at 22179 Revision 478 actually tells you nothing about your update status.

Second, the updates for the car, like PowerUp 3.3.1, don't always come in sequence. They may be for you for a period of time, but that may not last. So, your car may, or may not, be current. If the dealership didn't update all the modules at delivery (most of them don't), then some of them may in fact be behind current versions. Having all modules current is not a thing that Ford will do, or does.

As to the menu, I have a 2022, that was started in January and finished on March 1st, delivered in mid-May. The left menu says "System Updates". It does not say "Software Updates". It is right below "Vehicle Hotspot". The right menu has a toggle for Automatic Updates, then settings for Schedule Updates, then Update Details which may, or may not, show you the last update downloaded OTA.

If yours doesn't look like this, post a picture.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/attachments/e54b4019-29fc-419a-a489-f534b682948f-jpeg.64065/

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Not the OP but my 22 CA RT1 has Software Updates as well. I don't believe I have ever had the options mentioned in the manual or on the Fordpass app to Turn on or off automatic updates or to set a schedule.

February 4th build date, delivered in late March.

I thought perhaps those settings missing would prevent me from getting OTA updates but I was able to get 3.1.1, 3.2.1, and 3.3.1.

On July 28th I used FDRS to update all outstanding modules. I don't have any memory of what update options were present before I ran the updates.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Software Update vs. System Update IMG_3573

Last edited:
OP
OP

adamsd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Not the OP but my 22 CA RT1 has Software Updates as well. I don't believe I have ever had the options mentioned in the manual or on the Fordpass app to Turn on or off automatic updates or to set a schedule.

February 4th build date, delivered in late March.

I thought perhaps those settings missing would prevent me from getting OTA updates but I was able to get 3.1.1, 3.2.1, and 3.3.1.

On July 28th I used FDRS to update all outstanding modules. I don't have any memory of what update options were present before I ran the updates.
Thanks for including the image @kdonnel. That is exactly what I am seeing in my car. Good to know I am not alone. Still not clear if this is an issue with the system, or a future update for all.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Here is what mine looks like.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Software Update vs. System Update 1660754041416

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is really bizarre.

I can't even begin to understand why Ford would have a different version installed on some cars that does not match the car manual or FordPass app.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
It is really bizarre.

I can't even begin to understand why Ford would have a different version installed on some cars that does not match the car manual or FordPass app.
Because updates are not cumulative. Different batches, different updates, etc.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for including the image @kdonnel. That is exactly what I am seeing in my car. Good to know I am not alone. Still not clear if this is an issue with the system, or a future update for all.
I would hope it isn't a future update. Meaning.....I am hoping that Ford isn't planning on removing the option to turn off Auto OTA and the scheduler. From looking at @kdonnel's screen....it appears that 3.3.1 removes both of those features and changes the name from System Update to Software Update? :oops:

Really glad I saw this thread so I'll know NOT to allow the PowerUp 3 series to install.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because updates are not cumulative. Different batches, different updates, etc.
So my car was produced without a feature in the manual? Seems unlikely but true.

@RickMachE 's car was started maybe just a few days before mine in January but finished a few days after mine. His car must have been started like mine just before the factory shutdown for a few days. Sounds like his car sat at the factory for a few days more than mine after the factory reopened.

He has 3.3.1 and System Updates. I have 3.3.1 and Software Updates. There appears to be just a few days, hours maybe even, between my car on the factory line and his yet we have different menu options.

OP
OP

adamsd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
The world is strange.

The options were never there since day 1. I received a few OTAs and the feature never appeared. I make a post here yesterday and this afternoon I took a look and the automatic setting and schedule setting magically appeared. I did nothing on my end, but happy it is resolved.

Thanks for all the inputs from others.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The world is strange.

The options were never there since day 1. I received a few OTAs and the feature never appeared. I make a post here yesterday and this afternoon I took a look and the automatic setting and schedule setting magically appeared. I did nothing on my end, but happy it is resolved.

Thanks for all the inputs from others.
What?

So your car now says System Updates? And you have the automatic updates toggle and schedule updates options?

So strange.

OP
OP

adamsd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Still says "Software Updates", but the automatic toggle and update schedule option are now there. 🤷‍♂️

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag