Square Tire Set Up... how wide?

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I've been thinking about getting new wheels and tires for my Premium AWD ER and it appears many have gone with a 245/45R20 setup. Is this the widest you can go without rubbing issues? I was wondering if 255 or 265 would work with a square setup. I would like to eventually lower mine when lowering springs are available too.
Sponsored

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
This is a good question but definitely a loaded one. When you are considering the best size tire to run you also have to consider what size wheel you are using. There is no benefit from running A tire that is wider than the Wheel you are putting on the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Square Tire Set Up... how wide? 4FDD780C-F992-434A-8A6F-6EE74A481616

In terms of clearance that all comes down to the offset that is being used for your wheel. You will need to make adjustments to the wheel fitment if you want to run a wider tire. Assuming you do not want issues with rubbing on the strut or fender liners. One tire may fit a particular wheel and another might not.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Square Tire Set Up... how wide? D362D489-46FB-45DA-9EEA-C152AA82D758

I frequently build track wheel set ups for my GT500 clients. I usually give them two options. Pick the tire you want to run, and I can build the wheels around it. Or you pick the wheel size you want to run, then we find the appropriate tire that fits. Either way, you have to decide on the chicken or the egg first.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Square Tire Set Up... how wide? 7EDEB5F5-3ECA-46F1-BC83-CBBF8C32A787

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I am no planning on taking it to the track... just looking for something nicer for my daily driver. I was thinking 255 or 265 would look good. 245 looks good as well, I am wondering if going to a 255 or 265 is worth it or not....

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, I am no planning on taking it to the track... just looking for something nicer for my daily driver. I was thinking 255 or 265 would look good. 245 looks good as well, I am wondering if going to a 255 or 265 is worth it or not....
I believe people have fitted up to 275s with a wide wheel and the right offset, but that is quite an aggressive stance and I'm sure has a lot of disadvantages.

I'd say 245 is "easy" since it is a stock available size, 255 and 265 are certainly possible though you may need to pay more attention to the wheel offset.

I'm assuming you are planning on wheels too - the widest tire you can fit on the stock 7" wheels is usually a 235 (depending on manufacturer).

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
Well... what I am trying to explain is putting wider tires on your stock wheels isn't doing you any favors. All you are doing is adding weight and making the tire less predictable/responsive since it is too wide for the wheel.

If you move forward with aftermarket wheels, then you need to pick the tire that is appropriately sized for the wheel width.

OP
OP
derelict

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well... what I am trying to explain is putting wider tires on your stock wheels isn't doing you any favors. All you are doing is adding weight and making the tire less predictable/responsive since it is too wide for the wheel.

If you move forward with aftermarket wheels, then you need to pick the tire that is appropriately sized for the wheel width.
Got it. I was thinking something like a 265/40 on a 20x9 wheel (+45 offset?)... I was just concerned about rubbing etc, primarily for the front since it seems most went smaller in the front but don't have issues with wider tires in the rear. Also wondering if too wide will cause rubbing issues down the line if I lower it 1.5" later...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've been thinking about getting new wheels and tires for my Premium AWD ER and it appears many have gone with a 245/45R20 setup. Is this the widest you can go without rubbing issues? I was wondering if 255 or 265 would work with a square setup. I would like to eventually lower mine when lowering springs are available too.
Didn't the Myth Busters try square wheels once?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Square Tire Set Up... how wide? mythbusters_square_wheels

?

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Didn't the Myth Busters try square wheels once?

mythbusters_square_wheels.gif

?
You beat me to the punch--I was thinking the same thing when I read the title...
That aside, some helpful perspectives here since I am often confused about the connection between width of tires and wheels and when you can change things (without too much expense). So it sounds like one might need to change wheels when changing either the profile of the tire (different rim diameters) or the width of the tire (not sure how one alters the rim in this case, unless changing the tire width also usually involves changes to the profile too?)?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You can play around with numbers here to compare what you’ve got to what you may be thinking of getting.

Wheel & Tire calculator

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
You can play around with numbers here to compare what you’ve got to what you may be thinking of getting.

Wheel & Tire calculator
Thanks, looks like a great site! It looks like you were able to provide the link prepopulated with the current set up for the MME (non GT it seems)--is that right? If so, thanks--nice touch!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thanks, looks like a great site! It looks like you were able to provide the link prepopulated with the current set up for the MME (non GT it seems)--is that right? If so, thanks--nice touch!
Lol. I just shared the website. Totally incidental that it kept my last calculations. I picked up some second hand wheels and was trying to decide what tires I wanted to put on them. I didn’t know my entries would carry over, but I guess it’s serendipitous. ? cheers ?
Sponsored