Stereo different in Select vs Premium trims?

PTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Launch Edition (European GT=GTPE)
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Agree with previous posts. Before the dsp update, I was quite disappointed. Now I just heard an updated system and it was already quite ok. Sounded better than Harman&Kardon in a Polestar 2.

Beware that ”sound quality” is very subjective to the person and said persons experience, what one is comparing to, used source etc. Always do your own testing with your ears :)
Sponsored

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
B&O sounds good to me, but I was also coming from a Chevy Bolt where the stereo sounded like it was being funnelled through a cardboard box.

Only problem I have now that my AA doesn't cut out when playing music is that maybe half the time I start my car up, the audio is muted and I have to press the button in the middle of the physical dial to turn it on. Annoying and nonsensical (and no, I am not muting it myself).

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
The PaaK update doesn't affect the stereo. It's likely that your dealer also updated the DSP at the same time.
(If you know), would the DSP be updatable using FDRS, should an owner have access to that?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
(If you know), would the DSP be updatable using FDRS, should an owner have access to that?
Yes, all the modules can be updated with FDRS if you have an account (and the proper hardware). The DSP happens to be one of the modules that cannot be updated OTA.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Oh, I meant to add that turning on the “Surround” feature, which is set to “Stereo” by default, made a HUGE difference in the stock sound. Much, much better with Surround turned on.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
The subwoofer is underwhelming in the B&O (and nonexistent, I think, in the Selects),but the midranges and highs are pretty decent. When I say this, I’m not a loud music person either, so I‘m noticing the weak subwoofer at comfortable listening volumes…I‘m not overdriving it by any means.
Interesting comment in that I think the B&O sounds good at somewhat higher (but not crazy loud) volumes, but it seems quite tinny and shallow at lower volumes.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Is the stereo different in the select vs premium? How does it sound in select? What brand is it?
We have a Select RWD with the "base sound system" and can only assume it's Ford branded although the components could just be from a major name and Ford just slapped their label on it. The system is 6 speakers total, no sub (unless you count the two 6x9 in the doors as subs). For being a "base sound system" it's pretty damn good and delivers clear, sharp, bass and sound. Although it's not as punchy and dynamic vs the 12 speaker Sony system that's in our 2019 Explorer Sport. It would be in your best interest to find a Select, play with the settings (especially turn off the Speed Volume Compensation), and listen for final judgement.

Here are some of the songs/bands we used to test the sound system:

• Wife - Imagine Dragons, "Natural"
  • Son - Panic! At The Disco, "High Hopes" & Aurora, "Cure For Me"
  • Me -
    • Deftones, "Change (In the House of Flies)"
    • Tool, "Vicarious" & "Lateralus"
    • NOFX, "Separation of Church and Skate"
    • Slipknot, "Wait and Bleed"
    • Mudvayne, "Determined"
    • Chemical Brothers, "Saturate"
    • Boris Brejcha, "The Meaning of Life" & "Dark Planet"
    • Josh Wink, "Higher State Of Consciousness"
    • Mack 10, "Nothin' But The Cavi Hit"
    • Beastie Boys, "Sure Shot" & "Paul Revere"
    • Lindsey Stirling, "Song Of The Caged Bird"
    • Edvard Grieg, "In the Hall of the Mountain King (in B Minor)"

OP
OP
ponygurl29

ponygurl29

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Country flag
We have a Select RWD with the "base sound system" and can only assume it's Ford branded although the components could just be from a major name and Ford just slapped their label on it. The system is 6 speakers total, no sub (unless you count the two 6x9 in the doors as subs). For being a "base sound system" it's pretty damn good and delivers clear, sharp, bass and sound. Although it's not as punchy and dynamic vs the 12 speaker Sony system that's in our 2019 Explorer Sport. It would be in your best interest to find a Select, play with the settings (especially turn off the Speed Volume Compensation), and listen for final judgement.

Here are some of the songs/bands we used to test the sound system:

• Wife - Imagine Dragons, "Natural"
  • Son - Panic! At The Disco, "High Hopes" & Aurora, "Cure For Me"
  • Me -
    • Deftones, "Change (In the House of Flies)"
    • Tool, "Vicarious" & "Lateralus"
    • NOFX, "Separation of Church and Skate"
    • Slipknot, "Wait and Bleed"
    • Mudvayne, "Determined"
    • Chemical Brothers, "Saturate"
    • Boris Brejcha, "The Meaning of Life" & "Dark Planet"
    • Josh Wink, "Higher State Of Consciousness"
    • Mack 10, "Nothin' But The Cavi Hit"
    • Beastie Boys, "Sure Shot" & "Paul Revere"
    • Lindsey Stirling, "Song Of The Caged Bird"
    • Edvard Grieg, "In the Hall of the Mountain King (in B Minor)"
Thank u so much...I'm looking forward to playing all those songs in my select mach e!!!?

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
What is the best aftermarket subwoofer that will directly wire and fit where the B&O sub is ?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
What is the best aftermarket subwoofer that will directly wire and fit where the B&O sub is ?
I don’t think one will fit there.

At least not any good one. The space is made for a tiny odd shaped free air sub. None exist that size that I know of.

If you want a sub that doesn’t take up space, get one that goes under your front seats. Plenty of those to choose from.
Sponsored