This is happening to me right now
Sacramento CA
Here’s a pic of my scenario

50 degrees outside over night
I should be getting 300 miles - this is a CA Route 1
Looks like I’ll end up getting 235-236 miles

CF77B402-5E93-4318-90C4-4ECA705B14C2.png
A848FAAA-954B-450B-AD88-B47642DFFCB9.png
So, it's important to remember that it only "looks like" you be getting 235 miles. What is important is to track your consumption over your normal driving, and then use that to calculate your real range. My GOM range shows around 230 now, but my calculate range is 265 which isn't bad for 50F. The car will do this, but it is slow to correct, I'd guess 500 miles or more in these conditions.

Here's how I think the GOM at least partially works. It has a bunch of look up tables for base range in certain temperature windows. Those base ranges are incredibly conservative. Then the car looks at the driving history in each temperature band, and makes adjustments to the estimated range based on your consumption at that temperature. But, if all your driving is outside of the current temperature band, it only has the base range data. NOTE: this is just my guess based on how I've seen my GOM behave after taking delivery, after a 12V reset, and now as temperatures drop.

I am guessing that Ford is doing it that way since cabin heating can contribute heavily to overall consumption. If user A set the temp at 60F in the winter, they'll see much different range than User B who sets the cabin temp at 75F.

dtotten

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many
Country flag
Now that fall is in season and the weather is getting colder, I was expecting decrease in range on my Premium SR 4WD Mach E but starting last week I went from getting around 190 miles per 90% charge, now I'm barely breaking 150.

I charge every night, outdoors, and am now leaving my car plugged in due to temps but I wasn't expecting such a huge drop off.

Is anyone else up here in the northern part of the country experiencing similar issues? This is my first EV so I don't know what the expectations are.

Thanks!
I noticed a similar major drop off - I have the AWD Extended range and not only has the range dropped my miles / KWH has dropped off which concerns me. I am not at 90% charge getting 173 when previously it was near 300 and getting 1.9M/KWH which matches but makes no sense. Can't believe cold would effect the M/KWH that much.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I noticed a similar major drop off - I have the AWD Extended range and not only has the range dropped my miles / KWH has dropped off which concerns me. I am not at 90% charge getting 173 when previously it was near 300 and getting 1.9M/KWH which matches but makes no sense. Can't believe cold would effect the M/KWH that much.
Read this great write-up by @Mach-Lee!

https://www.macheforum.com/site/posts/297977/

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
I’ve gone from 265 to 190 or less in two months. Temps are 42-60 so not that cold. I’m driving fairly conservatively. Pretty shocking really - I had no idea this would happen otherwise I would not have purchased this vehicle. It’s a ‘go to the grocery store and back’ car for 6 months of the year - what a waste. I was looking forward to nice long road trips, but with that low range and areas of poor charging infrastructure that’s out of the question. Very disappointing.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve gone from 265 to 190 or less in two months. Temps are 42-60 so not that cold. I’m driving fairly conservatively. Pretty shocking really - I had no idea this would happen otherwise I would not have purchased this vehicle. It’s a ‘go to the grocery store and back’ car for 6 months of the year - what a waste. I was looking forward to nice long road trips, but with that low range and areas of poor charging infrastructure that’s out of the question. Very disappointing.
When you say you have gone from 265 to 190 is that actual driving or the GOM reading?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Did you read the link I posted just before your comment?

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Ford wants to make sure you never get stranded and is being incredibly conservative/borderline worst case on its range estimate. The Nissan Leaf forums, and even the Tesla forums to some extent, are filled with complaints from people who ended up in limp mode because their car said they had plenty of range to make the trip but didn't. Think of the estimated range as more of like: I can definitely get this far on a charge. The estimated range on the Mach E is very very easy to beat. On a Tesla, it is very very hard to even match the estimated range. All of the real world tests I have seen show Extended Range matching or exceeding the range of the Model Y, but the MY will always show a larger estimated range after a charge.

I get it, though. This week, I was seeing 94 mile of range on 50% charge, which, if true, is concerning. (It's not true. That would mean my average consumption is 2.1 mi/kWH, which is lower than I've ever seen after any trip.) Try resetting your Trip 1 or Trip 2 meter, and use that to track your consumption for a few hundred winter miles. That will give you a more accurate estimate of your real range than what the car is telling you.

If your car was built before July, there is a software update that can be applied to your car at the dealer. Just call your dealer and ask them to check on your VIN. This update does a lot of things, and, according to Ford, one of those is improved cold weather range.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I suggest actually reading the responses that have been posted explaining that the estimated range that is displayed is not necessarily accurate and suggestions on how to improve your actual range.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Good morning, Brian. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
This section would benefit from a "sticky" specifically about cold weather and GOM range. There doesn't seem to be one specific to cold weather.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This section would benefit from a "sticky" specifically about cold weather and GOM range. There doesn't seem to be one specific to cold weather.
are you sure?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Sudden drop on range according to the GOM Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 12.55.46 PM

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Doesn't say anything in the title about cold weather, which was my point.

redMachE22

First Name
Colins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red Mach E GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am from Los Angeles and I went from 265 during summer charging to 220 now in December 2022. I guess it is happening to everyone and everywhere. For a moment, I almost think my battery has degraded after 6 months of driving. That can't be!!!!
Sponsored