Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I tried posting the following in an existing thread but didn’t get much traffic so figured I’d try starting a new one:

Anyone keeping a spreadsheet to track trip stats recorded in the FordPass app to try to get a better mi/kWh estimate than the GOM is using? I’m tracking about every parameter I can find on the car for trips over 5 mi for the first month to see if GOM predictions improve.

I generally know how I’m going to drive on a particular trip so with some vehicle history, I should be able to get a pretty good estimate myself of the vehicle’s range. Local trips are averaging around 3.5 mi/kWh (mpkwh). Highway is more like 2.6 mpkwh. These figures are for the GT in my first week of driving. All miles have been driven in one pedal mode.

I did capture a weird stat the other night. The FordPass recorded a trip as being 38 mi and efficiency of 4.9 mpkwh. I know the trip was more like 19 mi. No idea what happened there so I’m wondering how accurate these trip records on the app actually are
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We just drove close to 3,000 miles in a few weeks. Michigan to Florida to South Carolina to Michigan. I posted a thread about our charging experience. Some things I learned:

- Remember that you can't use the KW put into the car from FordPass, EA, or anything else, because there is some loss. It may be 7%, but it's still loss if you're trying to be accurate.

- The trip odometers keep going for time when the vehicle is on, so it can mess up your stats if you want to be accurate. We found on the way down we weren't capturing what we wanted to, and FordPass wasn't either. I built a spreadsheet after the fact, and will now make slips to fill out at each stop for later data entry, which will include capturing things like what the GOM says, % of battery life left (in the car, not what an app says), what the car says our miles per kwh were, etc.

- Due to the unpredictable nature of each charging experience, we shifted to always taking 80% at each stop. Then, at the next stop, when you know you only need 53%, if you have issues you can simply get to that point and then leave.

We found that over this trip, our calculated miles per kwh, driving around 73 mph with the A/C on, was 2.9. I advise using a lower estimate, like 2.6, which is 10.3% less, for trip planning. Local is closer to 3.5.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I tried posting the following in an existing thread but didn’t get much traffic so figured I’d try starting a new one:

Anyone keeping a spreadsheet to track trip stats recorded in the FordPass app to try to get a better mi/kWh estimate than the GOM is using? I’m tracking about every parameter I can find on the car for trips over 5 mi for the first month to see if GOM predictions improve.

I generally know how I’m going to drive on a particular trip so with some vehicle history, I should be able to get a pretty good estimate myself of the vehicle’s range. Local trips are averaging around 3.5 mi/kWh (mpkwh). Highway is more like 2.6 mpkwh. These figures are for the GT in my first week of driving. All miles have been driven in one pedal mode.

I did capture a weird stat the other night. The FordPass recorded a trip as being 38 mi and efficiency of 4.9 mpkwh. I know the trip was more like 19 mi. No idea what happened there so I’m wondering how accurate these trip records on the app actually are
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...rify-america-charging-issues.9454/post-242583
Sponsored