Switching between wireless AA and Bluetooth

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Hey all, looking for advice in case I'm doing this wrong, as it's a but frustrating for me on a regular basis. Here's my issue:

I use Pocket Casts for my podcasts, and wireless Android Auto on my Samsung S21, but Pocket Casts does not come up on Android Auto, even though they support it (https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/android-auto/). I've even gone into the Android Auto settings on my phone to configure the launcher apps and Pocket Casts is not listed anywhere in there. This means that when I listen to podcasts and get in the car and want to keep listening to the podcast in the car, it's a whole hassle... since my phone automatically connects to Wireless Android Auto everytime I get in, I can't just turn on Bluetooth streaming to the car...if I tap on the Bluetooth card at the bottom of the screen it forces me through this whole process of disconnecting wireless AA, going to the phone list, picking my phone, choosing the Bluetooth option, giving me a warning that it's gonna drop wireless AA, then connecting the Bluetooth. Even once I do all that it still won't play audio from my phone...I still have to tap on the bluetooth card at the bottom half of the screen, THEN it will start playing the audio from my phone via BT. All this could technically be avoided if Pocket Casts showed up in AA but at least for me it won't. That may be a separate issue (if anyone has a solution for that lemme know!). Google Podcasts is the only one that shows in Android Auto, but that kinda sucks and I'd prefer not to switch to it if I don't have to.
So if you also have wireless AA connect by default, and want to switch to Bluetooth audio, is this the workflow you have to go through too, or is there a faster way? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Is Pocket Casts an Android Auto-capable app? Might check with the developer to make sure they support it

likescookies

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2004 Camry
Country flag
FWIW, Pocket Casts through Wireless Android Auto has been working fine for me with my Pixel 3a and my Mach-E. Didn't have to do anything special; it just showed up on the list of available AA apps as expected.

OP
OP
Jako607

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
FWIW, Pocket Casts through Wireless Android Auto has been working fine for me with my Pixel 3a and my Mach-E. Didn't have to do anything special; it just showed up on the list of available AA apps as expected.
Thanks, I am finding it odd that it won't show up no matter what I do (including uninstalling/reinstalling the app) so good to know it SHOULD work. Now I just gotta figure out why it won't show for me. Until then, the silly process I described above is the only way I can play phone audio through the car.

OP
OP
Jako607

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Thanks, I am finding it odd that it won't show up no matter what I do (including uninstalling/reinstalling the app) so good to know it SHOULD work. Now I just gotta figure out why it won't show for me. Until then, the silly process I described above is the only way I can play phone audio through the car.
SOLVED: Pocket Casts support suggested I actually install a different Android Auto capable podcast app, which might cause AA to rebuild its indexes and that actually worked! So now I can just stay in AA and not have to toggle to Bluetooth.

Still doesn't technically change how difficult it is to switch from AA or CarPlay to Bluetooth, but oh well.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
SOLVED: Pocket Casts support suggested I actually install a different Android Auto capable podcast app, which might cause AA to rebuild its indexes and that actually worked! So now I can just stay in AA and not have to toggle to Bluetooth.

Still doesn't technically change how difficult it is to switch from AA or CarPlay to Bluetooth, but oh well.
right but you won't need to

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I'm glad you got it resolved!

I also use Pocket Casts but haven't actually checked since I got my MME to see if it showed up.

(I'm still sad about Reply All going on hiatus.)

I also have the same phone

Have you tried PaaK yet?

OP
OP
Jako607

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I'm glad you got it resolved!

I also use Pocket Casts but haven't actually checked since I got my MME to see if it showed up.

(I'm still sad about Reply All going on hiatus.)

I also have the same phone

Have you tried PaaK yet?
Yes super bummer about Reply All! And yes PAAK works for me fine

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
That is by design. When a phone is connected to the vehicle, there are two separate Bluetooth profiles, HFP (Hands Free Profile) and A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). HFP uses a low bitrate, just "good enough" for voice, while A2DP uses higher bitrate and is used for audio playback. When you connect BT headsets to any phone, in the settings you can select Calls and Media separately, and they corresponds to HFP and A2DP, you can even have the two functions connected to two different headsets even though it makes no practical sense. Similarly, when in a car HFP is used for phone calls, regardless of whether Android Auto is running. When it comes to media playback, however, when Android Auto is running it is automatically chosen over A2DP because it offers higher bandwidth (stereo PCM, 16 bit @ 48KHz, ~1500 kb/s) than the latter which has a bandwidth limit of 728 kb/s but pretty much everyone go with the lowest common denominator which is sub-band coding (SBC) that tops out at 345 kb/s. To override, you have to disconnect Android Auto.

Even apps not supported by Android Auto send their audio output over the AA connection, the problem though is that unless the app is supported by AA one cannot control it using the vehicles touchscreen or the steering-wheel mounted controls. One can still control it directly on the phone, but that becomes a distraction and potential safety hazard.

OP
OP
Jako607

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
That is by design. When a phone is connected to the vehicle, there are two separate Bluetooth profiles, HFP (Hands Free Profile) and A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). HFP uses a low bitrate, just "good enough" for voice, while A2DP uses higher bitrate and is used for audio playback. When you connect BT headsets to any phone, in the settings you can select Calls and Media separately, and they corresponds to HFP and A2DP, you can even have the two functions connected to two different headsets even though it makes no practical sense. Similarly, when in a car HFP is used for phone calls, regardless of whether Android Auto is running. When it comes to media playback, however, when Android Auto is running it is automatically chosen over A2DP because it offers higher bandwidth (stereo PCM, 16 bit @ 48KHz, ~1500 kb/s) than the latter which has a bandwidth limit of 728 kb/s but pretty much everyone go with the lowest common denominator which is sub-band coding (SBC) that tops out at 345 kb/s. To override, you have to disconnect Android Auto.

Even apps not supported by Android Auto send their audio output over the AA connection, the problem though is that unless the app is supported by AA one cannot control it using the vehicles touchscreen or the steering-wheel mounted controls. One can still control it directly on the phone, but that becomes a distraction and potential safety hazard.
I get that. Just sayin it would be nice if switching was easier.
Sponsored