Sync 4 Issues All Over the Place

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
After enjoying a fairly smooth first few months of ownership, my 2021 Mach-e GTPE ha started having all sorts of Sync 4 Issues over the last couple of months.
Some of the most problematic include:
- It is sometimes very laggy and slow
- the screen is sometimes getting stuck on what seems to be some kind of 360 camera image - I see a graphic of the car in the middle of a grey screen and an icon switch showing with the little cone showing that my backup sensor is activated. This will just come up and then stay on the screen randomly.
- a major bug where if I am on a phone call when I enter the car and then turn it on, the bluetooth/Android Auto takes control of the phone for dialing new numbers, but will not connect to the actual voice/volume which remains with the handset. Only restarting the car fixes this.
- sometimes Spotify will go haywire on me - it will start and stop playing on its own at random intervals, it will play through the speakers at the same time as the radio is playing so I have both audios coming at once - and the Android Auto app has no control over playing things or stopping them...there is no way to stop this other than resetting Spotify on my phone
- sometimes when trying to make a phone call I will get a message on SYNC that pops up and says "Volume Control fault! Please use the steering wheel control, if problem persists please see the authorized dealer for service."
- when streaming music from my phone for playback, the playback will randomly start and stop regardless of the music app being uses.

I guess what I am wondering is 1) is there anything I can do other than taking it in to see a dealer in terms of updating the software and 2) what do I tell the dealer to make sure I get the software updated or whatever is necessary since mostly these issues are not always repeatable on demand.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Have you done a screen reset?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Sync reset reboot. Hold down the forward seek and the power button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds.

Last edited:
OP
OP

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
thank you both for the feedback - I have not done a screen reset of a synch reset. Are they the same thing?
Will a Sync reset erase all my settings, radio stations, etc? Just want to see what I should be prepared for...

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
thank you both for the feedback - I have not done a screen reset of a synch reset. Are they the same thing?
Will a Sync reset erase all my settings, radio stations, etc? Just want to see what I should be prepared for...
Yes they are the same thing. No, that reset won’t erase anything, it’s just a reboot of the system. A Master reset erases everything.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Sync reset. Hold down the forward seek and the power button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds.
I thought it was volume down/forward seek?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
After enjoying a fairly smooth first few months of ownership, my 2021 Mach-e GTPE ha started having all sorts of Sync 4 Issues over the last couple of months.
Some of the most problematic include:
- It is sometimes very laggy and slow
- the screen is sometimes getting stuck on what seems to be some kind of 360 camera image - I see a graphic of the car in the middle of a grey screen and an icon switch showing with the little cone showing that my backup sensor is activated. This will just come up and then stay on the screen randomly.
- a major bug where if I am on a phone call when I enter the car and then turn it on, the bluetooth/Android Auto takes control of the phone for dialing new numbers, but will not connect to the actual voice/volume which remains with the handset. Only restarting the car fixes this.
- sometimes Spotify will go haywire on me - it will start and stop playing on its own at random intervals, it will play through the speakers at the same time as the radio is playing so I have both audios coming at once - and the Android Auto app has no control over playing things or stopping them...there is no way to stop this other than resetting Spotify on my phone
- sometimes when trying to make a phone call I will get a message on SYNC that pops up and says "Volume Control fault! Please use the steering wheel control, if problem persists please see the authorized dealer for service."
- when streaming music from my phone for playback, the playback will randomly start and stop regardless of the music app being uses.

I guess what I am wondering is 1) is there anything I can do other than taking it in to see a dealer in terms of updating the software and 2) what do I tell the dealer to make sure I get the software updated or whatever is necessary since mostly these issues are not always repeatable on demand.

Thanks for any advice!
Hello! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and Dealership Info, I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I thought it was volume down/forward seek?
SSM 49625

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E/F-150/Edge/Nautilus vehicles may require a reboot of the SYNC 4 system.

For vehicles equipped with a volume/power and right seek button, press and hold both the volume/power and right seek button for 10 seconds and the system will reboot.

For vehicles not equipped with a volume/power button, holding the seek right and volume down buttons on the steering wheel controls will reboot the SYNC 4 system. The Workshop Manual (WSM) is in the process of being updated with this procedure.

OP
OP

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
thanks will try - after googling a bit though two question:
1 - it sounds like this is primarily for screen freeze type issues? mine seem to have a lot to do with connectivity issues. no harm trying but is this likely to be related?
2 - I dont have a power button on the steering wheel - it looks like maybe its the volume down on the steering wheel + seek forward based on what I have found...is this the same reset you are meaning?

EDIT
Yes it was Volume Down + Forward Seek on steering wheel. Screen rebooted. I will monitor for changes and I appreciate the help.
Does anyone have experience/thoughts on whether a Screen Reset should also help with the connectivity issues being experienced?
Sponsored

Last edited: