dsalad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 500E, MX-5, Prius, 55 Chevy truck
Country flag
Odd, I am watching my router daily, I have two connections from teh car, one for "...tcu..." and one for ..."Sync...". I didn't screen shot the exact names yesterday. One of them changed overnight, but nothing else seems to have changed? Weird...any thoughts on this, anybody else notice this?
Ford Mustang Mach-E "Sync..." changed to FLEXTRONICS on my router...nothing else IMG_0739.PNG
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Odd, I am watching my router daily, I have two connections from teh car, one for "...tcu..." and one for ..."Sync...". I didn't screen shot the exact names yesterday. One of them changed overnight, but nothing else seems to have changed? Weird...any thoughts on this, anybody else notice this?
Ford Mustang Mach-E "Sync..." changed to FLEXTRONICS on my router...nothing else IMG_0739.PNG
At least your car is talking to someone and they’re responding. My car doesn’t talk to anyone. It’s like the lonely kid on the playground with no friends ?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Did you car just get the 1.7.1 update?

Did the MAC address change? Or that it isn't another device?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Flextronics manufactures a lot of the modules for car companies (they are one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world), so it looks like something has reverted (temporarily?) to a default host name. Update might be in progress, or partially completed?

OP
OP

dsalad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Flextronics manufactures a lot of the modules for car companies (they are one of the biggest electronics manufacturers in the world), so it looks like something has reverted (temporarily?) to a default host name. Update might be in progress, or partially completed?
I don’t want to get too hopeful! The download numbers are really low so I don’t think I got anything significant. Same MAC address since my router dealt with the name change.

OP
OP

dsalad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And it changed back to SYNC today! Daheck???
Ford Mustang Mach-E "Sync..." changed to FLEXTRONICS on my router...nothing else 6937D28D-B42C-4A6A-A51F-7345F51277A7

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Did you car just get the 1.7.1 update?

Did the MAC address change? Or that it isn't another device?
MAC addresses don’t change. They’re assigned to hardware unless you’re running virtual adapter. I don’t think the MME has a hypervisor running

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
@dsalad Nothing has really changed. Here's the way this works...

Every manufacturer has a MAC Segment that identifies the mfg. For me, and I would assume for most of us, it is:

MAC-Segment: 28:38:5C:00:00:00 - 28:38:5C:FF:FF:FF (MA-L)
Vendor:FLEXTRONICS
Address:Carretera Base Aerea 5850 int 4
Zapopan Jalisco 45136
MX

What happens with your router is that it performs a lookup for these MAC segments and provides you with the name that it came back with. Sometimes routers will do this immediately and other times it will do it once a week, a month etc. Sometimes the database that they search doesn't have the corresponding vendor so it remains blank until the database is populated.

So, in other words, this has nothing to do with an update because the MAC is hardware based, and I assume you didn't replace your SYNC system... So that being said, it's all on your router and has nothing to do with the car.

If you changed the device name to SYNC it could also be a software glitch where it's going between the vendor and the name you gave it. It could also be that the device is broadcasting it's name as Sync whereas Flextronics is the mfg and your router is just going between the two.

Lastly, for those talking about hypervisors or VMs that would only apply to the VNIC exposed to the software. It wouldn't apply to the broadcast MAC of the physical radio. There are ways in which physical radios can use randomized MACs, but I've yet to see that on anything other than a cell phone and regardless of randomization the MAC segment will still always come back to the same mfg.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dsalad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To use a Reddit phrase...username checks out.

Thank you! I was hoping the car was getting "stuff", but your explanation demystifies it.

Stand down, internet! Plausible explanation, issue solved.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Thanks for the info in this post. It has helped me understand what the MME is doing. I started a capture to see what Flextronics was communicating with as I wasn't sure what the device was.

Ford Mustang Mach-E "Sync..." changed to FLEXTRONICS on my router...nothing else 1642873404700

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I've seen it change back and forth, and sometimes shows up as localhost too. Nothing seems to change, I think it is just how your router chooses to list it, and flextronics is the manufacturer so it may default to that occasionally.
Sponsored