Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
In due course.

I trust Ford and local governments to decide when it’s safe for workforces (around the world) to return.

Whether Poland, Mexico, US, or elsewhere - like the vaccine itself, or treatment therapies; getting this vehicle and the global supply chain back into production will take time...

Most of us on this forum have access to the technology to work from home.

It is our responsibility to display patience.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I trust Ford and local governments to decide when it’s safe for workforces (around the world) to return.
Of course.
Only a modest % of jobs in the economy can be performed from home.

My main concerns go way beyond the handful of us here in this forum. Specifically, the economy, jobs, revenue/debt, and the standard of living that a strong economy produces. As well as health.

But I'm also here because I have interest in the Mach-e, of course. :cool:

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I’ve already lost a child to cancer and my wife is high-risk for the duration of her life, I don’t wish that kind of pain on anyone.

No amount of social distancing theory works in high school buildings with populations above 1,000. Just one example. What you are suggesting automatically puts high-risk individuals in harm’s way.

Until there is a vaccine in place and distributed worldwide, you are only fueling a potential infection rebound.

Are you going to risk your family?
I think you are misunderstanding me. Everyone has to make prudent decisions for themselves. If you or your wife is high risk, you obviously are much more cautious.

My wife is a cancer survivor and I already declined to travel for work due to her situation of being higher risk.

This isn't all or nothing. I believe a majority of the areas of our country and a majority of the people are not high risk and can use prudent steps to get back to work and hopefully save this economy.

That might not be the answer for you or for me, but it can be for many. The majority that are low risk need to start getting out of the house soon. Especially for those not at high risk, there are prudent and common sense ways to protect yourself and keep the spread manageable or if the disease is seasonal, have it end soon naturally. If we sit around for months waiting for it to be gone, there will be little left of the USA or world economy.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
In due course.

Whether Poland, Mexico, US, or elsewhere - like the vaccine itself, or treatment therapies; getting this vehicle and the global supply chain back into production will take time...

It is our responsibility to display patience.
Unfortunately, millions of people cannot work from home. Retail, restaurants, services, etc. can't work from home. Millions are languishing right now and our economy is teetering. While the white collar types on this forum may be fine for the most part, we are not the majority or the most vulnerable in this economy. The most vulnerable are and will be suffering. (And yes, sitting at home with an unemployment check is suffering as I already know first hand. Even worse, sooner or later those checks end.)

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Concur, generally.

Politics isn’t the purview here:

Not sure what “he” you are referring to, but if it’s Trump... Reopening the country is up to the governors. Trump’s insistence that he has authority... That ship sailed when he told the states to fend for themselves when it came to PPE and shelter-in-place.
Opening things like airports, railroads etc. is up to the President. In actuality the President does have unique powers in a wartime environment. One could make the case we are living in a wartime environment, but I won't split hairs. However the fact is that Trump greatly assisted the states that were ill-prepared for this virus with inadequate supplies of PPE. Millions of pieces of PPE came right here to N.Y. Hospitals, front line medical staff and police departments were greatly assisted. There's been enough revisionist history in the media, so I'd like to keep things straight, at least here. With that said, shelter in place was indeed allowed to be up to the Governors.

Here in N.Y., we just recently learned that Gov. Cuomo, who insisted that the use of hydroxychoriquine be limited to the hospital environment so that among other things, detailed records could be kept as to the drug's efficacy, does not actually have those 'detailed records'. Why is that, what happened to those extremely valuable records? To begin with many of us here in N.Y. were greatly upset that this restriction on the drug's use was limited to a hospital environment. Many COVID 19 patients are not overly anxious to subject themselves to a hospital environment if not needed and would greatly prefer to have their doctor prescribe it so that they may not have the need for hospital admittance in the first place.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Opening things like airports, railroads etc. is up to the President. In actuality the President does have unique powers in a wartime environment. One could make the case we are living in a wartime environment, but I won't split hairs. However the fact is that Trump greatly assisted the states that were ill-prepared for this virus with inadequate supplies of PPE. Millions of pieces of PPE came right here to N.Y. Hospitals, front line medical staff and police departments were greatly assisted. There's been enough revisionist history in the media, so I'd like to keep things straight, at least here. With that said, shelter in place was indeed allowed to be up to the Governors.

Here in N.Y., we just recently learned that Gov. Cuomo, who insisted that the use of hydroxychoriquine be limited to the hospital environment so that among other things, detailed records could be kept as to the drug's efficacy, does not actually have those 'detailed records'. Why is that, what happened to those extremely valuable records? To begin with many of us here in N.Y. were greatly upset that this restriction on the drug's use was limited to a hospital environment. Many COVID 19 patients are not overly anxious to subject themselves to a hospital environment if not needed and would greatly prefer to have their doctor prescribe it so that they may not have the need for hospital admittance in the first place.
Since this thread is ruined with politics too...

Exactly where in the constitution does it say the President can control airports, railroads, etc at his whim? Where does it say that in a wartime environment (that the government gets start and end arbitrarily), allows the president to have more magical power?

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Opening & closing airports is not a 'whimsical' thing. It's done to control the spread of the virus at a point where it comes into the country. It is a fact that during wartime the President has unique powers that are not present in peacetime. I did say it was 'arguable' whether this qualifies as 'wartime', but many are using the term.

However the thrust of my post, which you ignored, was to show how much assistance from the Federal level was given to the states.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Opening & closing airports is not a 'whimsical' thing. It's done to control the spread of the virus at a point where it comes into the country.
In this specific instance, yes it is not whimsical. However, if you agree the President has the power to do this at this point in time, then you must agree that every President in the future has the power to do this for any reason. Why? Because there is no written power in the Constitution to allow the President to have this authority in times of pandemic. Therefore, the action was done in violation of the Constitution, meaning that the power is completely arbitrary based on what the office of the President thinks is important.

It is a fact that during wartime the President has unique powers that are not present in peacetime. I did say it was 'arguable' whether this qualifies as 'wartime', but many are using the term.
Hamilton explained in Federalist 74, the President is "Commander in Chief of the army and navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several States when called into the actual service of the United States."

Constitutionally speaking, only congress can declare a time of War. That has not be done.

I'm trying to do this too:
There's been enough revisionist history in the media, so I'd like to keep things straight, at least here.
Just food for thought. :)

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well then, I guess the President is essentially powerless. ;) So what precisely do you think the President has the power to do in terms of 'opening the country back up'? Are he and his team spinning their wheels because, in reality, they can do nothing?

Just as a point of information, there were many times people were concerned that Obama had trampled the constitution too. So I guess the practice has no political bias. If I recall correctly, other Presidents have exercised what were essentially 'wartime powers' without Congress actually declaring war. This is closer to a wartime environment than some cases in the past.

But again, the thrust of my original post (which you again ignored) was that considerable assistance, especially in terms of PPE, hospital ships, makeshift hospital construction etc. was given to the states by the President.

In the interest of keeping politics out of threads other than that in the appropriate Lounge area, I will cease & desist. You may have the last word.

Last edited:

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well then, I guess the President is essentially powerless. ;) So what precisely do you think the President has the power to do in terms of 'opening the country back up'? Are he and his team spinning their wheels because, in reality, they can do nothing?

Just as a point of information, there were many times people were concerned that Obama had trampled the constitution too. So I guess the practice has no political bias. If I recall correctly, other Presidents have exercised what were essentially 'wartime powers' without Congress actually declaring war. This is closer to a wartime environment than some cases in the past.
I don't think the President has the power to open or close the country. That's a state decision (and even that is arguable). You are right, the Constitution has been trampled on by both parties. They both want power to do "their" things. The parties, in my opinion, are different sides of the same "trample" coin.

But again, the thrust of my original post (which you again ignored) was that considerable assistance, especially in terms of PPE, hospital ships, makeshift hospital construction etc. was given to the states by the President.
I ignored it because I am not "up-to-date" on what assistance was provided to New York. You may be right or wrong, I personally have no idea.

In the interest of keeping politics out of threads other than that in the appropriate Lounge area, I will cease & desist. You may have the last word.
And I apologize for continuing the political debate. It seems like everything has a political angle anymore. I will also try to cease & desist.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Since this thread is ruined with politics too...

Exactly where in the constitution does it say the President can control airports, railroads, etc at his whim? Where does it say that in a wartime environment (that the government gets start and end arbitrarily), allows the president to have more magical power?
I agree @zhackwyatt and have already made my beliefs known that the power of the Federal government started as and was supposed to be very limited, certainly on how it affected our daily lives.

While we are talking about railroads.....another thread is off the rails. (As you said.)

I also can't help wondering if some that agreed with your post might have thought otherwise if the President was from a different political party. It would really be nice for us all to think about what we "know" is correct without looking through the political lens or looking at who is sitting behind the desk.

Thanks again for chiming in!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And the politics are spreading into here, too. I guess the coronavirus political arguments can't be contained any better than the virus.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
^ Now that's actually pretty funny! :)

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And the politics are spreading into here, too. I guess the coronavirus political arguments can't be contained any better than the virus.
I don't understand what can be said of the Coronavirus without politics. Right now everyone is asking "what do we do?". And the government is a part of that answer.

I feel like every thread on Corona (or it's economic impacts which was the point of this thread) are going to have politics injected. Likewise any discussion on tax credits for BEVs. I think it's just inherit to the subject, isn't it?

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I don't understand what can be said of the Coronavirus without politics. Right now everyone is asking "what do we do?". And the government is a part of that answer.

I feel like every thread on Corona (or it's economic impacts which was the point of this thread) are going to have politics injected. Likewise any discussion on tax credits for BEVs. I think it's just inherit to the subject, isn't it?
I think we can and should discuss ideas, but leave the party team flag waving and biases out of it the best we can. If we have to tear down a politician, the person you are debating, a political party, etc. while discussing a subject, then it is not being discussed constructively and there is no point.

That's where the political parties and news media wants us to be, rooting for the political team instead of debating real issues. It is good business for them if we are highly partisan. I, for one, refuse to be politically motivated in my stances.
Sponsored