Tesla range explained in several charts

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
This is actually a pretty good explanation on range for the four Tesla models. Worth a listen because it will help to explain the variances in range we will see.

Sponsored

Reactions: SAM

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Range is relatively meaningless when their charging network is so strong and so reliable. I only bought the ER Mach-E because of the sparse and unreliable CCS network, if we could use Superchargers I'd have bought the SR no question. I look at the ER battery as the "CCS tax."

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Range is relatively meaningless when their charging network is so strong and so reliable. I only bought the ER Mach-E because of the sparse and unreliable CCS network, if we could use Superchargers I'd have bought the SR no question. I look at the ER battery as the "CCS tax."
So that's a very interesting point. Let's unpack that. First, I agree that Superchargers are superior both in number and speed, and will remain so for at least the next few years.

If all other things were equal between the Tesla MY and the Ford MME (and they most certainly are not, but let's assume you're weird and actually think the Tesla looks good), would you trade 30 miles in range for better public charging? Yeah, probably. Because usually range doesn't matter for driving around town. For road trips, the better public charging is almost certainly more important than the extra 30 miles. So your initial point stands.

What if the difference was 50 miles? Well, at some point the lack of range is going to so severely impact road-tripping that better public charging can't compensate for that. That will depend upon where you live, what kind of road trips you generally take, etc. So it's not exactly easy to answer.

So when you say that the MME's extended range battery is a $5,000 "CCS Tax," that isn't necessarily true. For some road-tripping, the ER's superior range is more important than superior public charging.

And again, this is somewhat hypothetical because the MME is so much better than the MY in many regards. Range and charging aren't the only considerations.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
100% just a silly statement.
What about the roads, the routes that are off the beaten path? Having more range allows you to go to those places. Not even Tesla has superchargers that cover "true" 30% of the united states.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Even if there are endless charging stations, you still need to factor in the additional charging time incurred by needing to stop more frequently.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I remember a couple years ago when there were dozens of cars in line to use their superchargers here in CA, maybe it was on a Thanksgiving? Has that be alleviated, or has the thousands and thousands of additional Teslas sold just exacerbated the issue?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I remember a couple years ago when there were dozens of cars in line to use their superchargers here in CA, maybe it was on a Thanksgiving? Has that be alleviated, or has the thousands and thousands of additional Teslas sold just exacerbated the issue?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla range explained in several charts 1614962193192

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So that's a very interesting point. Let's unpack that. First, I agree that Superchargers are superior both in number and speed, and will remain so for at least the next few years.

If all other things were equal between the Tesla MY and the Ford MME (and they most certainly are not, but let's assume you're weird and actually think the Tesla looks good), would you trade 30 miles in range for better public charging? Yeah, probably. Because usually range doesn't matter for driving around town. For road trips, the better public charging is almost certainly more important than the extra 30 miles. So your initial point stands.

What if the difference was 50 miles? Well, at some point the lack of range is going to so severely impact road-tripping that better public charging can't compensate for that. That will depend upon where you live, what kind of road trips you generally take, etc. So it's not exactly easy to answer.

So when you say that the MME's extended range battery is a $5,000 "CCS Tax," that isn't necessarily true. For some road-tripping, the ER's superior range is more important than superior public charging.

And again, this is somewhat hypothetical because the MME is so much better than the MY in many regards. Range and charging aren't the only considerations.
All good points.

Let's just take Ice vehicles for example as BEV is not at the same crossroad yet.

It comes down to three things.

How efficient the car is?
How much Gas or charge for BEV can it hold?
How many gas stations A.K.A. charging stations are there.

A car can go 500 miles before filling up, but if there is no gas station then there is a problem. The combination of those 3 factors give or take is what makes a gas vehicle able to go anywhere even when factoring in weather and traffic.

BEV are not there yet. So yes more range is a big deal and even back when people would brag on the forum. Well, tesla gets more range than the mache and other BEV. WHich now we know is not true. It has turned into but the charging network talk.

Until BEV are more efficient, hold a longer range, and charging station are like gas stations, then yes 100% range is the biggest factor.

SO steelmache your point is flawed.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
100% just a silly statement.
What about the roads, the routes that are off the beaten path? Having more range allows you to go to those places. Not even Tesla has superchargers that cover "true" 30% of the united states.
Funny calling me silly when you're seeming to admit that you only need more range to get to places without chargers, when what I said was if there were chargers at those places, range wouldn't matter... so we agree...

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

I never considered the Model Y so that's not really relevant to replying to me, anyway.

My statement was between the two Mach-E battery packs only.

If the Mach-E had CCS chargers as abundant as Tesla has Superchargers, I would not have needed the $5,000 ER pack or needed to limit myself to RWD as well in order to get to 300 miles.

I would have gladly chosen a SR or maybe even a SR AWD for Michigan winters, but because CCS is so sparse, I could not buy any config except ER RWD, and that costs more.

OP
OP
KAustin

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I never considered the Model Y so that's not really relevant to replying to me, anyway.

My statement was between the two Mach-E battery packs only.

If the Mach-E had CCS chargers as abundant as Tesla has Superchargers, I would not have needed the $5,000 ER pack or needed to limit myself to RWD as well in order to get to 300 miles.

I would have gladly chosen a SR or maybe even a SR AWD for Michigan winters, but because CCS is so sparse, I could not buy any config except ER RWD, and that costs more.
Did Tesla have 13k chargers available at release?